Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 2870 Posts

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
I took a quick look at his suspension before he pulled out for lunch-he definitely has the mass damper and has a 6/12 build date. I didn't try to compare his to mine, just checked for presence.

I will probably pull my struts this weekend, time permitting after dyno runs, to replace my bearings. I will take a closer look at everything while it is apart, to include the mass damper.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
I took a quick look at his suspension before he pulled out for lunch-he definitely has the mass damper and has a 6/12 build date.
I forget... Do you have the handling suspension, or base Ti "touring" suspension?

If the mass damper still exists on the base Ti "touring" suspension as late as 6/12, that would mostly confirm the suspicion that the SE Sport suspension was "de-contented" mid-year and likely shared struts with the normal S/SE/SEL suspension after that point.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well, my dealer replaced my left strut and strut bearing Monday morning.... so far, so good.

Of course, the right front still makes as much noise as ever. Guess I'll have them "check it out" and press them to replace it when I drop my car off next Friday to have the damage they caused to all four of my wheels "repaired".

The issues that have popped up and the way my dealer has handled them, as well as the damage they have inflicted on my car, has made my "ownership experience" a total nightmare! To say that my dealership has treated my car much the way a baby treats a diaper is not an exaggeration. It's a damn shame too because I really like the car.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
So, I forget... Do you have the handling suspension, or base Ti "touring" suspension?
Both I and the guy at work have Handling Suspensions. Mine is a 2/12 Job 1.

Well, my dealer replaced my left strut and strut bearing Monday morning.... so far, so good.

Of course the right front still makes as much nosie as ever. Guess I'll have them "check it out" and press them to replace it when I drop my car off next Friday to have the damage they caused to all four of my wheels "repaired".

Between all the issues that have popped up, and maybe more so the way my dealer has handled them and damaged my car, my "ownership experience" has been a total nightmare! It's a damn shame too because I really like the car.
This is almost exactly how mine happened. I made quite a few trips, though they were trying to get things fixed and I was really happy with them. After replacing my left side, I told my service guy that the noise was still present on the right but that I didn't have any more time available to take off of work and that it would have to wait.

Sometime in June I decides to drop my car with the Pro-Kit springs, on the assumption that my previous documentation would remind them that I had the problem before and that they would fix the clunk. I even called to ask/verify and personally spoke to the Service rep before ever bringing in my car back in. After I brought it in, they essentiallt wasted 3 more hours of my life (aggravating story). Never again. If it isn't a safety issue, I have no desire to bring my car back for anything other than my free (paid for) oil changes and tire rotation.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
Both I and the guy at work have Handling Suspensions. Mine is a 2/12 Job 1.
OK, that would not necessarily support my previously-stated theory, then. [?|]

I would be curious to see how many owners that are having noise issues have the mass damper. Of course, it might be totally unrelated.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Well, not necessarily. He thinks he may be developing the clunk, but he's a bit less automotively inclined, so he's not exactly sure yet... I hope, for his sake, that its just psychosomatic.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would be curious to see how many owners that are having noise issues have the mass damper. Of course, it might be totally unrelated.
Our SE Sport, built 9/13/11 and clunking on both sides, has the mass dampers.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Does your SEL have the mass dampers?
I just checked and the SEL does have the mass dampers. Built 02/27/12 and no clunk or rattle at all.

According the the diagrams on Fordparts.com, the part number of the damper is 3F690 and there doesn't appear to be any "built before" or "built after" dates associated with it.

I remember reading somewhere that they were there to dampen a resonant vibration in the strut, but it's not unreasonable to wonder if the off-center mass might have unintended consequences. A probability? Maybe not. A possibility? Sure.

If nothing else, it might be a contributing factor to an issue that actually is a result of several small problems rather than one 'smoking gun' problem.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Ford.

I'm also waiting on the strut bearings to come off of backorder so I can place an order, but that's going to be a while.

[edit] Just got off the phone with Tousley - parts should be shipping today/tomorrow, but strut bearings are still backordered until 9/15.
This is a little over two weeks away. If it takes anymore time, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll have your Customer Service Manager look into the parts delay.

...We would be better served if you forward the negative comments to Ford corporate!
I am Ford corporate; I'm documenting every possible issue. If you'd like, go here to submit product feedback too: https://secure.corporate.ford.com/footer/contact-ford/contact-us-email?contactMainTopic=FeedbackVehicleDealerFordMotorCompany.

I would've had the dealership do it, but despite documentation showing that I had the clunk prior, they won't touch the car now that I've installed aftermarket springs. It's not really a big deal to me anymore as I have access to a shop.
Understood; please keep us all in the know. [thumb]

Yup, you're right, I've only driven 20 miles since getting the TSB done a month ago. You're a genius. NO. Only after about 20 miles I could hear the clunk from some pretty good sized curbs. It's still there, so no, Ford hasn't clearly fixed this issue completely. And my CSM said, "Oh, well, we can replace the springs again". Yeah, that clunk is cleaaaaaarly the springs. What planet are you on? I know you are here to "brighten up the moods" of the lot of us who are very unhappy with this seemingly simple issue. Seriously though, you waaaaaaay overplay it sometimes to the point where it's just childish and ridiculous bro [facepalm]. Again, a lot of us with our previous Focus cars, have NEVER had this problem before. My 2001 Ford Focus SE sedan with 166,000 miles was as quiet as a sleeping baby [shhh], these new cars, aren't.
Apologies; sometimes the context gets lost in translation. Not only am I monitoring this forum (and own a 2012 Focus to boot), but I'm also giving my word and backing it up with action. [headbang] Did your CSM provide you with his/her phone number?

I just had my car at the dealer for some recall fixes and told them about the problem. The service adviser said it was probably the lower control arm, then called me today and said it was the strut & bearing...

...He put me in for 2 and said when they arrive he will call me to come in. He doesn't know when the redesigned ones will hit the parts counter yet.
I'll escalate this with your regional Customer Service Manager; please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info. How long have you noticed the front-end noise?

Of course, the right front still makes as much noise as ever. Guess I'll have them "check it out" and press them to replace it when I drop my car off next Friday to have the damage they caused to all four of my wheels "repaired".

The issues that have popped up and the way my dealer has handled them, as well as the damage they have inflicted on my car, has made my "ownership experience" a total nightmare! To say that my dealership has treated my car much the way a baby treats a diaper is not an exaggeration. It's a damn shame too because I really like the car.
Holy cow; all four of your wheels got damaged? [:0] Please drop me a PM with your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer name; I'll document your feedback. The wheels need to gleam and the front-end needs to be silent. [:)]

Our SE Sport, built 9/13/11 and clunking on both sides, has the mass dampers.
I don't believe I received a PM from you about this. Please shoot me one (include your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer name) and I'll loop in your area's Customer Service Manager.

Thomas

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
If nothing else, it might be a contributing factor to an issue that actually is a result of several small problems rather than one 'smoking gun' problem.
Sure enough. Since we've so far seen mass dampers on all versions of the suspension (base, touring, handling) and one version without the mass damper (touring, or job 2 SE Sport), and varying noise issues/non-issues among them, I think it's going to be fairly difficult to nail the mass damper down as even a contributing factor.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just go t mine back today. Replaced both side springs, bearings, and nuts and bolts.

Seems to be fixed for now.

They also re-aligned my car as I requested. The service advisor said they needed to do an alignment any time suspension parts were changed and agreed with my request.

Then they were going to charge me for the alignment, which I said was stated as required per the service advisor. OK then ... no charge for the 4 wheel alignment.

Overall very pleased with the work .... and my dealership, who has always been upstanding and ultra-fair as far as I'm concerned.

Hope the fix holds ....

REV

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I think it has more to do with dealers simply not ordering fully-optioned cars, since the more expensive cars are tougher to sell.

However, looking at my google document spreadsheet of people's suspension issues, a lot of the cars are, in fact, SE Sports or Ti w/the handling package.

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AryS5DT8rzV-dHRWZGY2b3pVTEVpT3dTWUpENDlUekE#gid=0

If anyone still wishes to add to the spreadsheet, please click and fill out this form: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?pli=1&formkey=dHRWZGY2b3pVTEVpT3dTWUpENDlUekE6MQ#gid=0

Here's a question: Do the non-Sport SEs, SELs, and Tis have this mass damper on the struts? (Black arrow)

According to Edmunds (in this article: CLICK), it's been installed by Ford to "quell an unwanted resonant vibration" in the suspension.
I suppose you already know that the SE Sport "touring" suspension does not have the mass damper, or you would have asked. Regardless, I thought I'd document with this pic that my Sport suspension does not have it.

I'm curious also if this only appears on the "handling" suspension.

I will also mention that my job 2 (4/26/12) SE Sport has no abnormal noises at 6K miles.
From what I can see through the wheels and brake assembly when I turned the wheel out of the way as best I could it appears to be more like the first one with the shiny bracket for the mass damper, but its hard to tell.

Mine is a Job 2 SEL with the 16" alloy wheels. No apparent clunking here, but I do hear the suspension working over speed bumps and certain road imperfections, nothing that stands out as obviously broken yet though.

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost
266 Posts
"Apologies; sometimes the context gets lost in translation. Not only am I monitoring this forum (and own a 2012 Focus to boot), but I'm also giving my word and backing it up with action. Did your CSM provide you with his/her phone number?CSM provide you with his/her phone number?"

Just curious Thomas, does your Focus clunk?? I really don't see where involving a CSM is going to help anything. If the dealership did the TSB and the noise is still there what else can they do, change the same parts again? Maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,095
Hello Posters. Remember me? I'm the "trouble-maker" who started this whole thing. I'm shocked! 92 pages long!?! Still no permanent fix. I took my car back in recently. Not only are my tires now "cupped", they can't seem to make it stop making noise. Like most of you, I am very tired of taking it in for this issue. Has ANYONE seen resolution?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess add another for the noise. I wonder what percentage of Focus is having this issue?
They had the part in stock quick but they are waiting for a separate part (c-channel for front passenger seat) to come off back-order 8/25.
OK they just delivered my focus back and the service order says they replaced the "left front sway bar link". If the sound is still there I will post again.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sure enough. Since we've so far seen mass dampers on all versions of the suspension (base, touring, handling) and one version without the mass damper (touring, or job 2 SE Sport), and varying noise issues/non-issues among them, I think it's going to be fairly difficult to nail the mass damper down as even a contributing factor.
I checked my sister's 4/20/12 build SEL yesterday evening. No mass dampers installed and no reports of clunks or rattles.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
From what I can see through the wheels and brake assembly when I turned the wheel out of the way as best I could it appears to be more like the first one with the shiny bracket for the mass damper, but its hard to tell.

Mine is a Job 2 SEL with the 16" alloy wheels. No apparent clunking here, but I do hear the suspension working over speed bumps and certain road imperfections, nothing that stands out as obviously broken yet though.
My SEL has that damper. Factory 17" wheel car.

1081 - 1100 of 2870 Posts