Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 2870 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. Dealership could not replicate the problem. Low speed clunk over speed bumps and potholes. It has to be in the struts or swaybar end links. This is my first ford ever owned bought brand new and kind of dissappointed with it. 2000 miles and problems the dealer cant find. Traded in my 03 mazda protege that i purchased new. Never had any problems at all had 115k when i traded it in.[:(!]

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2012 Titanium has an annoying low speed strut rattle. When it was new it wasn't there. It took a few weeks to materialize. It's only heard at low speeds. While turning or braking it is super noticeable. The service department freely acknowledged the sound was there. I must give them credit for not denying it.
We took the car to the dealer ship, and found nothing "technically" wrong. They greased the front strut bushings and the sounds went away for about two weeks. Yes. It really wasn't there anymore. I was thrilled.
However, it returned at the same exact rate and loudness as when I first bought it.
Now that it's been a couple months the sound is back full and loud.
The sound IS strut related. I know enough about automotive mechanics not to to be fooled by other sounds and noises. Since the grease made the sound go away for a short time the issue is clearly a strut issue.

Does anyone else have this problem?
The solution so far is only very temporary. I'd like to know if others are getting this noise.
Will Ford or the strut manufacturer make right on this? That remains to be seen.
Mine is doing the same thing now. Started as an intermittent noise, and I was waiting for it to become constant so I can replicate it once I get to the dealership.

Making an appointment for next week, just hope I can get them to either fix it while I wait, or can get a loaner car. I take mine to a dealership over 60 miles away, hate to waste a whole day to find out they either dont hear it, or I need to come back.

I will report back when I find out what they have to say!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine has been making the same noise that is being described in this thread. It was a lot worse when I had my family for a visit and more people were in the car. I'm going to have the dealership take a look at it when I bring it in for an oil change. That is of course if the oil change light ever comes on. Have a little over 7k miles on it.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
My car goes in tomorrow at 7:30 AM for one last shot at fixing this issue. Hopefully I can get things ironed out this time, because I'd love to start enjoying this car properly.
Hi Zillon;

May I inquire into the status of your Focus? Was the issue rectified by the dealership? Thanks!

I have the same problem with mine. Dealership could not replicate the problem. end links.Low speed clunk over speed bumps and potholes....
Hello 12 F-O-C-U-S,

Let's change that [:(] to a [:)] and make this the great experience you desire! Please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Mine is doing the same thing now. Started as an intermittent noise, and I was waiting for it to become constant so I can replicate it once I get to the dealership.Making an appointment for next week...
Mine has been making the same noise that is being described in this thread...I'm going to have the dealership take a look at it when I bring it in for an oil change...
Hey kshew97 & Bradl1982,

Taking your Focus to the dealer is a great first step. When you do visit the dealer, please send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal, and dealer contact info so I can begin the escalation process to the Customer Service Manager in your area.

Thanks,

Noemi

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi Zillon;

May I inquire into the status of your Focus? Was the issue rectified by the dealership? Thanks!
Nope, still clunking. I specifically requested a different service advisor out of recommendation from a colleague, and was still given back to the service team I requested to not be handled by.

I was also given an attitude by both the advisor and the shop team leader, and then after standing my ground and insisting there was still an issue, I was finally granted a very reluctant test-drive with the service manager. Since the noise was 'unable to be detected' on the test-drive, we returned to the dealer, and I continued on my way to work feeling rather unsatisfied with the entire experience.

I'm done dealing with the dealership. Not only am I tired of being treated like a dumb consumer, I'm really tired of fighting them on an issue they feel does not exist. I work at a Toyota dealership and drive a lot of cars with more miles on them that don't exhibit front suspension noise like my car does, and I've helped diagnose similar issues with front suspension noise on other cars before. My car didn't make the noise when it was new, it shouldn't be making it now.

I'm simply fed up.

[Edit] I did want to add, though, that everyone else I've dealt with at Ford Customer Service outside of this particular dealership has been great. So, thank you for that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey kshew97 & Bradl1982,

Taking your Focus to the dealer is a great first step. When you do visit the dealer, please send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal, and dealer contact info so I can begin the escalation process to the Customer Service Manager in your area.

Thanks,

Noemi
I sent my info via PM (forgot to include mileage, which is 4500 as of today). I will let everyone know what happens when I get my car back!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Nope, still clunking...
[Edit] I did want to add, though, that everyone else I've dealt with at Ford Customer Service outside of this particular dealership has been great. So, thank you for that.
Morning Zillon,

I appreciate your compliment. [:)]

Have you attempted another dealership for a second opinion? Let me know if that's feasible, if it is, let's try this route. If you do visit another dealership, send me a PM and I'll contact the Customer Service Manager again.

I sent my info via PM (forgot to include mileage, which is 4500 as of today)...
Hi kshew97,

Thank you for the info; I'll work on your case as soon as possible. In the meantime, make sure to contact your local Ford dealership and set up an appointment.

Noemi

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nope, still clunking. I specifically requested a different service advisor out of recommendation from a colleague, and was still given back to the service team I requested to not be handled by.

I was also given an attitude by both the advisor and the shop team leader, and then after standing my ground and insisting there was still an issue, I was finally granted a very reluctant test-drive with the service manager. Since the noise was 'unable to be detected' on the test-drive, we returned to the dealer, and I continued on my way to work feeling rather unsatisfied with the entire experience.

I'm done dealing with the dealership. Not only am I tired of being treated like a dumb consumer, I'm really tired of fighting them on an issue they feel does not exist. I work at a Toyota dealership and drive a lot of cars with more miles on them that don't exhibit front suspension noise like my car does, and I've helped diagnose similar issues with front suspension noise on other cars before. My car didn't make the noise when it was new, it shouldn't be making it now.

I'm simply fed up.

I know the feeling. Ford Customer Service on these forums set up the appointments for me, but that didn't seem to help. I am to the point that I am willing to have a car mechanic fix it, and then send the bill to Ford. I have tried to get it fixed, one place does not acknowledge it, the other does acknowledge the issue, but says that this is normal for the Focus. They tried to convince me that just like I got used to the transmission, this is the new norm for Ford vehicles. When we test drove another Focus to show him that it is not in that one, he said it will occur after some time goes by. I swear these guys come up with this stuff on the fly.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Morning Zillon,

I appreciate your compliment. [:)]

Have you attempted another dealership for a second opinion? Let me know if that's feasible, if it is, let's try this route. If you do visit another dealership, send me a PM and I'll contact the Customer Service Manager again.

Noemi
That's my next step. I'm expecting a call from my CSM this afternoon, so when she does give me a call, we'll go from there.

I also plan on test driving an inventory unit for my own back-to-back comparison.

Thanks again.

Zack

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well I got my Focus back from the dealer last week after they replaced the Left lower control arm. I was told that after first replacing the part that the car was still making the noise so they removed the lower control arm and found that it shipped with no grease. They greased and re-installed the part and the noise was gone. I asked if the right side had grease and the service advisor (not the tech) said yes so I hope they indeed verifiy this. This brings up something I saw in some pictures that I took awhile back prior to this repair. If you look at both bushings for LT and RT Lower control arms there is a rust colored dusting on the inside of both bushings to me as a technician it's source is most likley metal to metal wear and as the small particles of steel stick to the rubber bushing they will then oxidize/rust possibly indicating what I see in the photos. Now does anyone else with an issue similar to mine have this same rusty color on the bushings?

Talking to a friend at work he brought up the fact that it may be brake/rotor dust and I think he is right. My doomsday theory goes pop.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So do they have to be removed to grease them or did they notice after they removed them?

·
Registered
118 Posts
So do they have to be removed to grease them or did they notice after they removed them?
The way it was explained to me it appears so.The tech had to remove the arm to apply the grease this is what I was told. Perhaps a Ford Tech on this forum could chime in on the specifics like I hope that there is a groove or such for allowing more than a thin film to be applied and a seal to keep it all in?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
That's my next step. I'm expecting a call from my CSM this afternoon, so when she does give me a call, we'll go from there...
Hi Zillon,

I would like to know the status of your Focus and the visit to the dealer. Can you give me an update when you have a chance? Thanks. [:)]

I...Ford Customer Service on these forums set up the appointments for me, but that didn't seem to help...
Hi theos2,

How long ago did we set up this appointment? I searched my inbox, but was unable to locate a PM from you. When you have a chance, can you re-send the PM. Appreciate it! [:)]

Thanks,

Noemi

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is from last October/November. The PMs were between myself and Natasha, and she escalated my issue to Yolanda, and then we tried another dealer. Issue is still not resolved, and I get frustrated every time I visit a Ford dealer, I have decided to wait until whatever the issue is finally brakes off the car, and they have to tow back in. I can't imagine the dealer or Ford can claim this is "normal" at that point.

Natasha or Yolanda can't really provide any guidance to the tech or service department. Once they hand me off to the dealer, then the actual work is based on what the tech and the Ford Tech Hotline have to say about it. It seems like all the information available to yourself, Natasha and Yolanda collected from these forums just gets tossed out the window. Ford Customer Service sees these complaints over and over on these forums, yet when we arrive at the dealer, we are treated as this is the first time they have ever seen/heard of this, and if there isn't a TSB, very few people can get their dealer to do any work.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi Zillon,

I would like to know the status of your Focus and the visit to the dealer. Can you give me an update when you have a chance? Thanks. [:)]

Thanks,

Noemi
I have an appointment at the dealer I bought the car from, which is over an hour away from where I live. Talked with the service manager on Tuesday, had a lengthy conversation with her about my issue, and she said she'd be glad to at least take a look at it.

I also understand my CSM has been trying to get in touch with me via my home phone, I'll be sending you a PM regarding that now.

Thanks,

Zack

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
This is from last October/November. The PMs were between myself and Natasha, and she escalated my issue to Yolanda, and then we tried another dealer. Issue is still not resolved...
Hey theos2,

I see. Thank you that information. The option to re-escalate the concern is available. If you desire to do so, please PM your VIN, phone number, mileage, and dealer information and I can begin the escalation process.

I have an appointment at the dealer I bought the car from...I also understand my CSM has been trying to get in touch with me via my home phone, I'll be sending you a PM regarding that now...
Morning Zillon,

Great to hear! I've forwarded the info you provided me to the Customer Service Manager. Please keep me posted on the results of the visit.

Take care and have a GREAT weekend!

Noemi

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, the dealership had my car since Wednesday, and guess what?

IT'S NORMAL !!!

The sound I am hearing is a result of the type of sway bars and suspension they use and there is nothing that can be done!?

AMAZING!!

On top of the fact my window is busted and not being fixed due to having window tint, I believe I will be looking for cars this weekend. I have never experienced anything like this before in my life....As much as I hate to say it, Honda goes the extra mile to keep their customers happy. I cannot believe everything is excuses and BS on a NEW car with only 4500 miles on it!!

·
Registered
118 Posts

IT'S NORMAL !!!

The sound I am hearing is a result of the type of sway bars and suspension they use and there is nothing that can be done!?

AMAZING!!

On top of the fact my window is busted and not being fixed due to having window tint, I believe I will be looking for cars this weekend. I have never experienced anything like this before in my life....As much as I hate to say it, Honda goes the extra mile to keep their customers happy. I cannot believe everything is excuses and BS on a NEW car with only 4500 miles on it!!
That's totally unacceptable. I can't believe that their response was such. I thought that a "quiet" vehicle was one of most manufactures design critera??
I can tell you that so far my clunk is still gone after the left lower control arm replacement and now I am left with the "bucket of marbles" sound from the transmission. I sent a PM to Noemi in hopes that it can be eliminated.
I had a 2004 Toyota Camry that this car replaced and it was in the shop "0" ZERO times for any issues in the 95K I owned it.

·
Registered
201 Posts

IT'S NORMAL !!!

AMAZING!!

Welcome to the club. Most of us have heard the same thing from our dealers. In a way I hope this issue causes more damage in the long term, and costs Ford a lot of $$ as a result of not willing to aknowledge that this is not "normal" behavior. I have no faith in Ford or their service departments at this point in time.

Expect Ford customer care to suggest you visit a different dealer to have your issue fixed. In these boards this is "customer care". Instead of addressing the issue and educating the tech at the dealership to ensure that this does not occur with other customers, it becomes your responsibility to find a dealer/tech that can aknowledge the issue and have the know how to actually fix it. How pathetic is that in this day and age?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Zillon;

Hello 12 F-O-C-U-S,

Let's change that [:(] to a [:)] and make this the great experience you desire! Please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Hey kshew97 & Bradl1982,

Thanks,

Noemi
Hi Noemi,

Tried to pm you but your box is full. I brought my car in today for an oil change and told them about the noise the car is making. 2012 Focus VIN 1FAHP3N21CL240418 mileage 7800. They were very friendly but when I went to pick up the car I got the old generic dealership service department answer of "we couldn't recreate the noise". The noise isn't obvious but it is there. I heard it on the drive home. I took the car to Auffenberg Ford in O'Fallon, IL. If you need my info you can pm me.
Thanks!

61 - 80 of 2870 Posts