Focus Fanatics Forum banner

201 - 220 of 2870 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmm, so knowing that I've already had one strut and one mount replaced, do I go back to the dealer and have them do the work on the TSB? Seems like that solution's not helping long term either....

·
Registered
209 Posts
maybe its because it being replaced with the same crap ford parts that were ther in the first place. Ford needs to make som changes .[strongman]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)

My car is only 3 days old and has very low miles and I have the same problem with the strut making noise when the car "warms" up. It is driving me nuts!!!! This is the first time I have owned a Ford, don't get me wrong I love Ford's we have owned several and currently my hubby owns a 2012 Ford Raptor and couldn't ask for a better truck. I have not talked to the dealership yet about the problem because it began the first night after we brought it home and it set idle for a while. The next morning it didn't make any sounds so I told my hubby we didn't need to worry about it cause it had stopped. Later I went to pick our son up and had to sit in the car line at school and it started again. I'm sorry but a new car shouldn't have issues right off the bat. I love my Focus but I would love it more if it didn't have this problem/noise.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Have them check the motor mount. Mine was doing the same exact thing. It had everybody fooled until a rep from Detroit found a bad right front motor mount which solved the problem. The rattle on startup was a clue that it wasn't strut related
Mine did the same thing, but it ended up being a motor mount. The key was when I would turn the engine off in cold weather, there would sometimes be a clunk (or a few of them) as the engine slowed down. This was while the car was sitting still, obviously.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My car is only 3 days old and has very low miles and I have the same problem with the strut making noise when the car "warms" up. It is driving me nuts!!!! This is the first time I have owned a Ford, don't get me wrong I love Ford's we have owned several and currently my hubby owns a 2012 Ford Raptor and couldn't ask for a better truck. I have not talked to the dealership yet about the problem because it began the first night after we brought it home and it set idle for a while. The next morning it didn't make any sounds so I told my hubby we didn't need to worry about it cause it had stopped. Later I went to pick our son up and had to sit in the car line at school and it started again. I'm sorry but a new car shouldn't have issues right off the bat. I love my Focus but I would love it more if it didn't have this problem/noise.
Does it happen when you creep forward (without putting your foot on the gas)? If so, that could possibly be caused by a bad motor mount or the trans causing exceissive vibration.

I'm also a bit confused because the suspension (from what I know) is not really related to the engine's temp. I had a 2008 that would make some strut noise whether the car was warmed up or not, or whether it was freezing out side or blazing hot. Either way, I'd have them look at the transmission and the motor mounts. Your transmission will make some small noises which I'm guessing a normal, especially at low speeds (under 20 mph).

Is the noise more of a speak, thud, or a knocking sound?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is more of a chatter noise when I'm turning but it only happens after I sit idle for a little while that is why I'm so confused about what it could be...it sounds like a strut but who knows that's the reason I joined the forum to see if others were having a similar problem...thanks for the info and I'm sure it will be back at the dealership next week for a thorough checkup...

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Just got my car back a few hours ago after dropping it off on Monday and the low speed clunk/rattle is gone...
Hi jjeremyy,

I’m glad the Ford dealer was able to repair the concern. Enjoy [driving] your Focus!

same I had replaced, was quieter for about 2 weeks, now its back...
Hey stang74shelby,

Give your Ford dealer another visit. Also, if you have not done so, shoot me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Had same TSB performed as well. Lasted about a week and noise returned. Now it actually happens more frequently it seems. Taking it back next week.
@ josh1899,

Visiting your dealer is a great step. I can arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area. Please send me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

...I had the same TSB performed but the noise remained...
Hmm, so knowing that I've already had one strut and one mount replaced, do I go back to the dealer and have them do the work on the TSB?...
Gizmobiaritz & Focus eh,

Give the dealer a call and talk to the service department about your options. Also, give the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center a call at 1.800.565.3673 for assistance.

My car is only 3 days old and has very low miles and I have the same problem with the strut making noise when the car "warms" up...
...I'm sure it will be back at the dealership next week for a thorough checkup...
Hi CarolinaFocus2012,

I can combine that thorough checkup with a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area. When you have a moment, please send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, your personal, and dealer contact info.

Mine did the same thing, but it ended up being a motor mount...
sirhawkeye,

Great to know the local Ford dealer repaired the concern. If I can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to shoot me a PM with the details of the issue.

Take care all and thanks for your patience as we address your concerns!

Noemi

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
New: The noises are getting worse as the days get warmer. I'd like to restate as I did at the beginning of this very long post that the first time I took it in they "greased" the strut bumpers/bushings and the sound went away for a short time but returned. The last time they replaced bushings and springs. Nothing. To those who doubt the temperature relation I know it does it more during warm weather. Maybe it is an expansion issue on the struts or something. If there were a new model strut, I'd be more optimistic.
SIDE NOTE: I drove a new titanium on the dealer lot. The noises were far worst than on my car. I was thankful I didn't own that one!

My dealership has been very cooperative. I have no issues with them. I'd like to see a permanent solution though.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
I went to the Dealer today and my service rep had a tech drive the car and the tech heard nothing. So the rep had me drive and he rode along and right on the way out of the parking lot "Lo and behold" the Noise was there and made a bunch of noise till we got back. so he heard it and knows im not Full of Shite.... I also printed out 15 pages of forums to show all the people with the same problems. He said not one other Focus has been in for the noise at the dealer[confused][confused][confused][confused]

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hey guys,

Sorry it's been a while since I've been on the forum but after reading all the new comments I'm starting to get discouraged. I talked with my CSM and she told me to take it to another dealership (seems like Ford wants to shift blame on the dealership for bad repair work instead of address that there is a legit problem with their new product).

Also, I had the TSB performed on my struts and the sound was gone for about 2 weeks then came back slowly and now it's more loud than it's ever been. As soon as I get home and have access to my service documents I will update the google doc. Thanks for that by the way, pretty nifty. Hopefully we can spark change from the manufacturer because as it stands they don't seem to care.

I'll be taking my vehicle to a different dealer next week to address the noise issue but also because my back seats have come apart from the backing and the leather. I can totally see into the workings of the seat if I fold the seat down. So, my car just seems to be falling apart from all sides :(

So glad I bought a Ford [goofydrunk]

·
Registered
201 Posts
I also had the 11-11-2 TSB done last year. it did not fix my problem...... This TSB was done at the 2nd dealer after they acknowledged the sound. When I told them the sound is still there, they said it was normal. Ford dealers and Ford policies are a JOKE! Can't wait to get rid of this car. Ford lost me and all of my family and friends from being customers for life. i have alone prevented 2-3 people from buying a Ford Focus, and make sure to tell everyone that asks me about the car about the problems.

Hey guys,

Sorry it's been a while since I've been on the forum but after reading all the new comments I'm starting to get discouraged. I talked with my CSM and she told me to take it to another dealership (seems like Ford wants to shift blame on the dealership for bad repair work instead of address that there is a legit problem with their new product).

Also, I had the TSB performed on my struts and the sound was gone for about 2 weeks then came back slowly and now it's more loud than it's ever been. As soon as I get home and have access to my service documents I will update the google doc. Thanks for that by the way, pretty nifty. Hopefully we can spark change from the manufacturer because as it stands they don't seem to care.

I'll be taking my vehicle to a different dealer next week to address the noise issue but also because my back seats have come apart from the backing and the leather. I can totally see into the workings of the seat if I fold the seat down. So, my car just seems to be falling apart from all sides :(

So glad I bought a Ford [goofydrunk]

·
Registered
27 Posts
The dealer called me today and said that the tech called the hotline after replacing the strut, strut mount, CV-joint, and right front engine mount. The hotline suggested they try a TSB that apparently didn't apply to my specific model (titanium, power-shift, handling package) but that none the less may work. I believe it's the one that replaces the springs and bearings with associated hardware but the interesting part is that they had to have the car in to see which springs are currently installed as there are 3 different production versions of the same spring. They are identified by colored tags but unfortunately I don't have any specifics. All I do know is that I have the yellow ones which I'm assuming refers to a specific range of production dates. I'm waiting on a call from them hopefully tomorrow to discuss next steps which hopefully include ordering and installing new front springs.

I'll keep you all posted but I do strongly believe that this IS spring related at least in my case. The noise is more of a creek/clunk than a rattle and it is pronounced when breaking or going over uneven pavement at low speeds.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
I also had the 11-11-2 TSB done last year. it did not fix my problem...... This TSB was done at the 2nd dealer after they acknowledged the sound. When I told them the sound is still there, they said it was normal. Ford dealers and Ford policies are a JOKE! Can't wait to get rid of this car. Ford lost me and all of my family and friends from being customers for life. i have alone prevented 2-3 people from buying a Ford Focus, and make sure to tell everyone that asks me about the car about the problems.
What did you get them to buy? A Honda? Chevy? or some other crap out there? Other then the Front end noise, I love the car. I do have the 5 speed so no problems there, and no MFT so not probs there either. Im sure that they will figure out WTF is up with the noise, eventually. I am a Patient person, so Im going to wait it out and keep enjoying the FF. I have been a Ford person for 22 out of my 42 cars I have owned, and have no intention of switching now.[cheers][cheers]

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am narrowing the sound down to the exhaust system. I have found that i can make the noise happen by lugging the engine a bit, which makes the exact same sound as the slow speed clunk/rattle that i get. Probably just something touching the exhaust, or possibly a motor mount issue. We have eliminated almost everything else. It's not the suspension, wheels, plastic etc......

·
Registered
443 Posts
What did you get them to buy? A Honda? Chevy? or some other crap out there? Other then the Front end noise, I love the car. I do have the 5 speed so no problems there, and no MFT so not probs there either. Im sure that they will figure out WTF is up with the noise, eventually. I am a Patient person, so Im going to wait it out and keep enjoying the FF. I have been a Ford person for 22 out of my 42 cars I have owned, and have no intention of switching now.[cheers][cheers]
Agreed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The dealer has ordered new springs for a TSB that apparently should not affect my VIN. Ford has suggested they change them out anyway so we'll see what happens. Currently, mine are identified by yellow tags if that helps anyone and it was only after they had identified the yellow tags that they suggested the repair. It would be interesting to see if we could isolate these issues by seeing who has yellow tags and who doesn't. Judging by the fact that different solutions have helped different people, this is not all the same issue. I would guess that those who have had the motor mount replaced and found success, do not have the springs with yellow tags as replacing the mount did nothing for me. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've replaced my springs with Eibach Pro Kits, still dealing with the same exact noise.
I hear the Noise when going over the speed bumps. Also if I have people in the car then it's much more noticeable going over broken pavement.

Could it be the shocks?

201 - 220 of 2870 Posts