Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a new switchblade key for my focus.

issue now is that i need a place to get it cut. being its "laser cut" no one in my area does it. (Windsor, Ontario). called dealerships for ford, VW, mazda. as well as 3-4 locksmiths.

anyone know of any place that cuts these style of keys?

this is a laser cut key incase you are wondering.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
do more research and from calling (just called 2 more locksmiths, as well as the BMW and Mercedes dealerships here all do not cut this style of key.)

Toronto has a couple people that do it, however that is 4 hours away from me. looks like some places in Detroit Michigan do it (just a quick drive over the bridge and I am there)

hopefully One of them gets back to me as i e-mailed both places to see what they can do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Where did you get your key? Ebay? The only ones that I could find looked like the key itself was round as opposed to the flat stlye that I have.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah its from Ebay. if you let the guy know its for a 2012 he includes the flat style key blade needed.

I may have lucked out with a locksmith in this area that specializes in automotive keys.

i have to email him photos of the blank and my current key to see if it can be cut.

·
Registered
113 Posts
yeah its from Ebay. if you let the guy know its for a 2012 he includes the flat style key blade needed.

I may have lucked out with a locksmith in this area that specializes in automotive keys.

i have to email him photos of the blank and my current key to see if it can be cut.
does the fob have the transponder for the immobilizer? is that easy to program?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The guy sent me instructions for programming the key.

the remote was pretty easy.

the transponder chip i can't do until the key is cut. but you need to have 2 working keys in order for this to work.

If i can get it cut i will let you know about how well that worked out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great, thanks... interest to know how it turns out!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am just hoping it can be cut without me having to travel that far.

hopefully this guy gets back to me tomorrow and i can have it cut by the weekend.

$25 estimate to have the key cut. i miss the days of 3 bucks at the local hardware store to have keys cut (that was including the blank key as well [:)] )

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you get yours from Artiway? If so, how long did it take to arrive?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes i did...

I can't give you a good time frame for shipping. my order was delayed by who knows how long due to the Canada Post strike.

The unit is shipped from Taiwan. he did ship the item very quickly to Canada. however i waited a long time from that point due to the strike, and then the backup of all items to be delivered.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what is the procedure to program the keys on the new key fob?
to program the remote entry.

insert your OEM car key into the ignition from off to run (not start) turn it off to run 5 times within 8 seconds. the car will beep. hit the lock button on all the remotes you want to program (you have to do this on the remotes that came with your car as well or they will not work). turn the car off remotes are now programed

the transponder chip i have yet to do. but what i remember from reading you need 2 working keys (the 2 OEM ones you got with the car).

turn 1 OEM from off to start and let it run for 1 second turn it off, quickly change to the 2nd OEM key do the same process from off to run for 1 second.

turn it off and quickly put in the key you need to program and the car should start with the new key, which also programs it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any luck getting the key cut and programmed? Im very interested to see how it turned out, as I keep my keys in my back pocket and our oem key is a real pain. [mad]

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found a guy local who said he could do it for 25 bucks. he is just awaiting the software upgrade for his machine to cut it. i should have the key in hand this weekend according to him.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am picking up the Flip key from the locksmith today, due to the long weekend here in Canada he didn't get a hold of tech support for this cutting machine until today.

So I will be picking it up today after work around 9:30.

i will post my thoughts on it

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New update, picked up the key.

the cut worked, it turns the ignition, however doing the programming instructions that i received, it didn't work

i am going to try 1-2 more times. otherwise sounds like i may need the dealership to get involved which i don't think will be cheap. might try to talk them into doing it for free being they screwed up a repair on my car

I e-mailed artiway who i bought from explaining my frustrations as since i got this key its been nothing but a headache.

I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Dealer mentioned DO NOT LOOSE THE KEY!!
The machine to cut such a key costs $7,000.
So not many folks are going to own one to cut a few keys a year!!!
The fact one could go a medium distance and actually get it cut is great.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah i am very happy i found a local guy here. Key is working great love having a smaller bundle of keys now
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 41 Posts