Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is not really a complaint but more of a question. I LOVE MY CAR!
That being said has anyone experienced their car hesitating and trying to downshift while driving up a hill or incline? I have a steep gravel driveway and the car seems to stop or hesitate and then try to downshift causing the wheels to spin while climbing my driveway. It makes me a bit nervous for the winter. I may be causing some of the wheel spinning since I put on the gas when the car hesitates. Yes I am a female driver but my husband has experienced the same issue. The car only has 300 miles on it and I thought the trans may need to break in.
I am hesitant to take it in for service since the dealership could not even put the mud guards on correctly.

·
Registered
788 Posts
First off this is not really a complaint but more of a question. I LOVE MY CAR!
That being said has anyone experienced their car hesitating and trying to downshift while driving up a hill or incline? I have a steep gravel driveway and the car seems to stop or hesitate and then try to downshift causing the wheels to spin while climbing my driveway. It makes me a bit nervous for the winter. I may be causing some of the wheel spinning since I put on the gas when the car hesitates. Yes I am a female driver but my husband has experienced the same issue. The car only has 300 miles on it and I thought the trans may need to break in.
I am hesitant to take it in for service since the dealership could not even put the mud guards on correctly.
I've experienced a downshift when climbing a paved incline not gravel so no wheel spin and it downshifted fine with no noticeable hesitation. Maybe it has to do with the loose road surface. If you can remember, try using the Select Shift and put it in lower gear before you start climbing the hill, see if that prevents the hesitation and wheel spin.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I suppose that its throwing gravel all over the place when it does it.
Is it not possible for you to manually shift the car into first gear when you are still at the bottom of the slope.
Then you could climb the slope slowly in first.
I'm not a powershift driver myself as I own the FF with manual transmission.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose that its throwing gravel all over the place when it does it.
Is it not possible for you to manually shift the car into first gear when you are still at the bottom of the slope.
Then you could climb the slope slowly in first.
I'm not a powershift driver myself as I own the FF with manual transmission.
Thansk 2012Silversel/ dasilvarsa
I will try to remember to down shift prior to going up the drive. I think my husband tried this. The car actually stops when down shifting then jerks/spins when it gets going again. We have a cruze that doesn't do this. Very strange. I was hoping it was part of the trans break in.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Well the Focus transmission is actually an automated manual... so between shifts there is a neutral point as in a manual transmission. The Focus has 2 clutches... one active and one on reserve that keeps the next/previous gear ready to go for a fast shift. On gravel AND an incline it may have some issues predicting the next gear and leave you a bit longer of a "neutral gap" between shifts.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Using sport mode should do the trick. Force it into first gear as was already mentioned and slowly go up the driveway. Depending on how your driveway is situated you could even get a bit of a running start to get up the driveway. Possibly different tires would give you a better grip too.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Powershift (DSG) box is designed for exceptional fuel efficient applications which are suited for road use.(Torque losses by the gearbox are practically nil.) Direct drive, dry clutch system, no ATF.
The Powershift (DSG) gearboxes are not ideally suited for off-road use.
I've used my FF (Manual gearbox) on a dust road and it actually works rather well in the lower gears. By using the clutch I can remove drive from the wheels for control when needed.
Traditional Automatic gearboxes are actually quite good for offroad use due to the fact that you are actually driving throug fluid.
I'm wondering how this gearbox will behave in snow ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts