Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one else noticed that the interior of the trunk lid on their sedan is just plain bald metal with no liner of any sort?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I didn't think that's a big deal, would you notice a difference in sound if it was lined? My Mustang isn't lined...but it's also fiberglass/composite..

Where in WNY are you?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. The inside of the trunk lid of my 2001 ZTS Focus is lined with a carpet-like material. I have to remove and replace it to service the CHMSL bulbs. This is original from the factory. Everything is neat and tidy in the '01 trunk.

The 2012 SE sedan, however, is bald metal on the inside of the trunk lid, with the wires hanging out. Is this normal for the 2012 SE sedan? The mounting holes are very clearly there for a liner of some sort and the shop manuals show an "insulator" that goes on with 9 fasteners, an "insulator" that I don't have.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK. So I can put this one to rest. I inspected several 2012 Focus sedan trunks at my local dealer this morning and NONE of them have a trunk-lid inside liner. Just a mess of wires hanging out into the trunk on every single one of them. :( I wonder how long it'll be before something in the trunk "catches" on one of those wires and rips it out? Nice going, Ford!

·
Registered
322 Posts
My guess is that the trunk would sound nicer when you close it with the liner installed but that's it... I doubt that the passengers (unless riding in the trunk) would notice

That said, I am going to purchase the liner and rivets for my 2013 SE

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
Just like many other cars, the lower spec comes with less fancy stuff, that liner could easily be counted there. Maybe part of the 'quiet ride' group or some other wonky option name.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has any one else noticed that the interior of the trunk lid on their sedan is just plain bald metal with no liner of any sort?
I too noticed that on my 2012 SE when I was making the purchase. I just wrote it off as something that a lower-end model would not have. I guess there are two sides to that coin though: having the liner would neaten things up and keep it quieter (negligible) but would also be a pain when you have to change a tail lamp. Popping the liner out, setting it aside, replacing it and making sure it's lined up just so. Another odd thing about the trunk is there is no inside handle to close it. I just use the emergency glow-in-the-dark handle to pull the trunk closed. I don't like pushing the trunk closed because the car is filthy (I need a wash!) and I have also found myself pushing it closed via the spoiler which is a no-no.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Grab handle

... Another odd thing about the trunk is there is no inside handle to close it. ...
That is one of the things I loved about the hatchback (2013) I rented before buying a sedan. It has a neat handle on either side of the inside of the hatch to pull it closed with. I'm thinking of adding something like that to the inside of my trunk lid now. I know what you mean about it being too easy to push it closed by the wing, which does not seem sturdy enough to handle too much of that. (Unlike the one on my old Integra, which is pretty solid.)

·
Registered
193 Posts
weird. My 2012 SEL didn't come with a trunk liner, and when I installed my system, I hated it. Invested in one, and it helped somewhat. Gonna take it out and use some deadener and ccf on the underside.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I too noticed that on my 2012 SE when I was making the purchase. I just wrote it off as something that a lower-end model would not have. I guess there are two sides to that coin though: having the liner would neaten things up and keep it quieter (negligible) but would also be a pain when you have to change a tail lamp. Popping the liner out, setting it aside, replacing it and making sure it's lined up just so. Another odd thing about the trunk is there is no inside handle to close it. I just use the emergency glow-in-the-dark handle to pull the trunk closed. I don't like pushing the trunk closed because the car is filthy (I need a wash!) and I have also found myself pushing it closed via the spoiler which is a no-no.
Yeah, older Benzes did not either and I had a few of those so I got used to having chunkier license plate frames that double as a handle to close the trunk

MB even makes a license plate extender... Google Mercedes Benz license plate trunk handle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts