Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago my 2012 focus exhibited an issue where I was unable to fill the tank further than half a gallon or so without it "clicking" as if the tank were sufficiently full.

The only way for me to get it to keep pumping was to take the nozzle out and reinsert. I had to do this about twenty times to fill my car's tank.

I tested this yesterday at a different pump and it's the same problem as a week ago.

Has anybody else experienced this issue with the cap less fuel filler system? Is there any home remedy that doesn't require a trip to the dealership? (Car is out of warranty).

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My prior 2012 had that problem somewhat. I would try to fill and the pump handle would click off. the ONLY way to keep gas flowingwas to only pull the pump handle maybe a third of the way. And the gas would flow slower. THEN the gas would keep flowing. And each pump at the station was a little different. Some worked better than others.

Once my usual gas station got new pumps, with longer pump nozzle/spouts, the system works perfectly. And I could always just pull the pump handle fully and never a bit of a problem.
So I say it is the pump nozzle.. a lot of stations have too short a nozzle. Some stations you can see have added bits to extend the nozzle..
Try a station with brand new pumps if you can find one. So they have longer spouts on the pumps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same nozzles I've been using most of the year though. I've read that this is an airflow problem: air is being displaced in the tank quicker than the vent can replenish it. I'll try the super slow method but I'm nonplussed about holding it at a third the rate it should be going. Anybody else?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My 04 Cavalier had this same problem, really sucks in the winter with the wind blowing.

Spiders are a real pain, had one make a nest in my furnace orifice, cost $100 to have the repair man clean it out with MY Q-tip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem. As you can see it take 0.3 hour (20 minutes of work) so if your dealer is competent you should be in and out under an hour ;)
Hmm. Hopefully so. I was given a 2-3 hour turnaround on it for some reason which surprised me; they said something like "testing" it to make sure it works. I'm not certain if that's just their way of saying it could take longer and they're just underpromising what should be an easy job for the sake of overdelivering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts