Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

w/ my magic bag
More then likely stretch to yield....I'd replace them as any rod bolt will stretch...

Registered
If the final torque step is in an angle rather than a torque amount it is a TTY bolt. They end in an angle as the bolt by then is beginning to pull into two pieces and a torque number will not be increasing by then.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

Now, about the rod bearings. It seems after going to rebuilders, parts suppliers and Ford parts, I have to tear down the engine before I know what bearings to put back in. Apparently they are color coded and even the Vin will not confirm what was used.
I just want to replace one rod bearing, it used to be so simple...
Anyone have experience with this?

FF Affiliate
Depending on the rod size , crank size determines the bearing size , So far I have found all the rods to be the same but have found a few .001 and a couple .003 sizes on the crank sizes , havent seen any color coding on the ones I have torn down

What happen to your bearing ?

Tom

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Previous owner was driving it when water pump blew the seal, draining the cooling system and overheating which led to the head gasket failing and filling the #4 cylinder with water. But he kept driving it which I believe put enough strain on the bearing which is causing a bit of noise in the bottom end.
After I replaced the head, it sounded fine, but a few thousand miles later, I'm hearing it and want to catch it before it does damage to the journal. So I just want to freshen it up with a new standard size bearing on that rod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts