Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
21000 miles on odometer, and about 1000 miles ago, started noticing a bit of a rattling noise on the 1st to 2nd shift as I let the clutch out. Its definitely coming from the left of the foot well, so I'm not sure if its clutch related or not. No other shift points create the sound, just 1st to 2nd. When I really really work at feathering the clutch, I can avoid the noise outright, but that doesn't really result in a clean or reasonable shift. Occasionally as well I swear I am hearing the same rattlevwhen I go over bumps at low speed, so again,not sure if it really is clutch, or just something dangly or plasticky vibrating . it doesn't affect performance if I clean shift and there's no clutch slippage ( been driving stick for 25 years)

Any other 5 speeders experience anything similar? I'm getting it checked in a few weeks at next dealer visit, but of course the warranty is over so I'm fearing the worst.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
21000 miles on odometer, and about 1000 miles ago, started noticing a bit of a rattling noise on the 1st to 2nd shift as I let the clutch out. Its definitely coming from the left of the foot well, so I'm not sure if its clutch related or not. No other shift points create the sound, just 1st to 2nd. When I really really work at feathering the clutch, I can avoid the noise outright, but that doesn't really result in a clean or reasonable shift. Occasionally as well I swear I am hearing the same rattlevwhen I go over bumps at low speed, so again,not sure if it really is clutch, or just something dangly or plasticky vibrating . it doesn't affect performance if I clean shift and there's no clutch slippage ( been driving stick for 25 years)

Any other 5 speeders experience anything similar? I'm getting it checked in a few weeks at next dealer visit, but of course the warranty is over so I'm fearing the worst.
MTX75 have gear rollover (sound like a diesel or piston slap)... it's normal

Gears will vibrate when In neutral or letting the clutch out..

Nothing to worry about it's been like this since the focus 2000 mk1

It's noisier when the MTX is warm.

EDIT:

Sound exactly like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZXsHibfn18

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Elcouz

Nope - it's nothing prolonged like that - on start up cold or whether restarted after an hours drive, it's only for the interval between when you let your foot off the clutch starting out in 1st and then on the second when you depress the clutch, shift to 2nd, and cone back onto the gas - a second or two at most

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The clutch has long coiled springs in it. So when they rattle...
Exactly what you have.
I tried to find the right posts. but am too lazy to work at it.
Anyway, the manual transmission clutch in the 2012 to 2014 has a pair of springs that act as shock absorbers.. They are semi circular around the clutch gizmo, and can rattle.
This.

If you do some searching i I am sure you can find them.I tried Google, but Google just sucks now a days. (All you get are a gazillion variations of the same thing THEY decided you 'really' wanted)

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Anyway, the manual transmission clutch in the 2012 to 2014 has a pair of springs that act as shock absorbers.. They are semi circular around the clutch gizmo, and can rattle.
This.
Dual-mass Flywheel?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok then - so do we think the noise is an indicator of these parts wearing out or just something innocuous I'll have to live with ? As mentioned, it's only developed recently so I don't want to let it go if it's an indicator of "repair [email protected] coming up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There's really only one way the clutch, or even just throwout bearing, could be going bad after only 21k miles. But if he's been driving a standard for 25 years, its pretty unlikely he's riding the clutch so bad to see this kind of wear...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah - the car isn't a daily driver, and I'm not hammering it when I do drive - I'm certainly not feeling any clutch slippage and it still engages as quickly in all gears as the day I bought the car - man, if this is premature Clutch wear, my opinion of Ford quality is going to drop significantly ( previous car an 86 toyota tercel 6 sp wagon from new with over 400k on it - and never a single transmission issue)

I wonder now, if indeed this is what's going on, whether this falls under my "lifetime powertrain" warranty. Even money sez " nuh uh"

Trip to dealer will tell I guess.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The 'throwout bearing' self destructed on my 1999 Contour SVT at about 4K miles. It was covered under warranty. One moment I could shift, two seconds later no useful clutch function at all.
The car had to be towed.
I had zero problem with Ford covering it under warranty. ADDED: (So some clutch related stuff IS covered under the normal warranty.)

As for the noise in the op car. (Which I think IS the result of the Dual mass flywheel springs): Well they will not warrant/fix it for any such noise.
It may or may not get worse. When it breaks, then they will fix it under warranty. It may never break. [cool]

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
The 'throwout bearing' self destructed on my 1999 Contour SVT at about 4K miles. It was covered under warranty. One moment I could shift, two seconds later no useful clutch function at all.
The car had to be towed.
I had zero problem with Ford covering it under warranty.

As for the noise in the op car. Well they will not warrant/fix it for any such noise.
It may or may not get worse. When it breaks, then they will fix it under warranty. It may never break. [cool]
Throw-out bearing will give him trouble / noise regardless of any selected gear!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Throw-out bearing will give him trouble / noise regardless of any selected gear!
That is why the op problem is not the throwout bearing.. It is only happening in first and second.
My last post the throwout bearing was just to mention clutch related stuff can be covered.

The second part of my post I rewrote to be clear it is referring to the dual mass flywheel noise not being a warranty event, until it actually breaks, Ford will not replace it for the noise the op is having.

·
Registered
151 Posts
To the tangent: Hammering? That isn't usually what wears out a clutch.
It's riding it...

And honestly, I can't even imagine how anyone could wear a MTX75 prematurely. (Unless maybe it were an individual lemon)

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
My last post the throwout bearing was just to mention clutch related stuff can be covered.
Yeah I know I just didn't want to quote everyone talking about the throwout... nothing personal [^]

And honestly, I can't even imagine how anyone could wear a MTX75 prematurely. (Unless maybe it were an individual lemon)

The MTX-75 is recognized has been tough like a tank (excepted syncros) but sh.. do happen sometimes!

Could be a defect in the tranny... well let's wait for the OP to get results from the dealer before scaring him first!

·
Registered
233 Posts

Thanks Elcouz

Nope - it's nothing prolonged like that - on start up cold or whether restarted after an hours drive, it's only for the interval between when you let your foot off the clutch starting out in 1st and then on the second when you depress the clutch, shift to 2nd, and cone back onto the gas - a second or two at most
Hey Snailspace,

Let me help! Has your dealer been able to diagnose this? Send me a private message with your full name, phone number, VIN, and dealer; I'll get the ball rolling.

Nikki
Ford Service CA

·
Registered
46 Posts
A bad throw out bearing will make a constant scraping noise as soon as the clutch is released in any gear. On a broken in clutch, such as a car with OP's mileage, Grinding or vibration from stop to first only, indicates a glazed clutch shutter/shudder. Grinding or vibration from first to second indicates a bad synchro ring. MTX transes are butter smooth, and should not generate any vibration when in proper working order, however, there will be clicking sounds due to the shift forks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts