Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

First, I would like to thank everyone that has posted on this site. Over the last several months, I have found a lot of useful information here about the 2012 Focus.

I purchased an SE with the manual transmission about a month and a half ago now. I've noticed in recent weeks, that in shifting between first and second, I sometimes have trouble getting it all the way into gear. This tends to be more of an issue when the vehicle is cold, but doesn't seem to completely go away even if I've been traveling for awhile. Since I do not force it into gear, sometimes the shifter just sits there and won't go anywhere. Other times, it goes in partially but will pop out, or hesitatingly engage all the way. Going in to all other gears is far smoother.

I should mention that this is my first manual transmission car, but I have enough experience with manual transmissions (tractors, four-wheelers, etc.) and have done enough reading to rule out many of the beginner mistakes.

I've seen another thread here praising the smooth shifting transmission in the new Focus. Should I be taking this in to get it checked out under the warranty? Any other advice?

Thanks for your help!

Kurt

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I had a SVT Contour with the MTX75 tranny.
What I would first do is bleed the clutch. The clutch slave cylinder is hydraulic, and the juice comes from the brake master cylinder.

Also have the tranny fluid level checked at the same time.
Both of these should/could be done under warranty with the presenting issue.

And if they tell you the clutch has no adjustment, (with some dealers just never having any manual tranny cars come in anymore: clueless.., tell them it is hydraulic, and that with the poor shifting, it may need to be bled. PERIOD. If they still baulk, they are idiots, tell them so, and go to some other dealer. (been there, done that)
You tranny most likely is fine. It is going to be either the clutch hydraulic push just that tiny bit less than perfect., or the fluid.

Or, it slight possibility the shifter where it connects to the tranny is developing a bend, or to the shift pawl where it connects to the tranny has come loose. The shifter tabs that the cable connects to the housing is pretty flimsy considering (IMO anyway.. they are plastic..) The shifter has two cables with connectors..
They could inspect that tranny end. The shifter in the cabin is pretty bulletproof.

IMO it is going to be minor, and just require an adjustment. So relax a bit. But DO take it in.
It is great you are not forcing it at all. Thus no internal damage has occured. GREAT! good luck.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I purchased an SE with the manual transmission about a month and a half ago now. I've noticed in recent weeks, that in shifting between first and second, I sometimes have trouble getting it all the way into gear.
Hi Kurt,

Since you are concerned with the shifting between 1st and 2nd, definitely bring it to the dealer for inspection. Also, please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help. Talk to you soon!

~Natasha

·
Registered
676 Posts
""What I would first do is bleed the clutch..."

Actually, with a brand new car under warranty, should take to dealer before doing anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely get it checked out and let you know what ends up happening/what the problem was. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely get it checked out and let you know what ends up happening/what the problem was. Thanks again!
Terrific! Just responded to your PM. [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, thanks for reminding me. I finally had a chance to take it in and have it checked out. The mechanic that looked at it didn't notice any problems when testing it, but checked some of the things that could be causing the problem. I cannot remember what all was on the sheet, but it looked like he was reasonably thorough. Overall, I was impressed with the place, so I don't think he was being lazy or anything like that.

He basically ended with saying, "It only has ~2000 miles on it, put some more on, and see what happens." So at this point, that's my plan. It is most noticeable when it's cold, so I'm being more conscious about giving it time to warm-up, and it's not really a problem after that. If it gets worse, I won't hesitate to take it back in.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I finally had a chance to take it in and have it checked out. The mechanic that looked at it didn't notice any problems when testing it, but checked some of the things that could be causing the problem. I cannot remember what all was on the sheet, but it looked like he was reasonably thorough. Overall, I was impressed with the place, so I don't think he was being lazy or anything like that.
Just responded to your PM, but wanted to thank you for the update. Let me know if anything changes. [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2012 Ford Focus SE with around 50,000 miles with Manual Trans I have been having a similar issue when cold. in shifting between first and second, I sometimes have trouble getting it all the way into gear. it will also do this when down shifting at traffic light. been to the dealer 4 or so times they can not seem to come up with a solution

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Rob,

Thanks for posting. The "issue" never really went away for me. I took it back to the dealership once or twice more (while it was cold outside) but they could not find anything wrong and didn't seem to notice the problem. I also had my Dad drive it (again, in cold weather) and he thought everything was normal. Not the ideal solution, admittedly....

If you end up finding a better one, please let me know! I'll be curious to hear what you learn.

Kurt

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Yes, thanks for reminding me. I finally had a chance to take it in and have it checked out. The mechanic that looked at it didn't notice any problems when testing it, but checked some of the things that could be causing the problem. I cannot remember what all was on the sheet, but it looked like he was reasonably thorough. Overall, I was impressed with the place, so I don't think he was being lazy or anything like that.

He basically ended with saying, "It only has ~2000 miles on it, put some more on, and see what happens." So at this point, that's my plan. It is most noticeable when it's cold, so I'm being more conscious about giving it time to warm-up, and it's not really a problem after that. If it gets worse, I won't hesitate to take it back in.
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2012 Ford Focus SE with around 50,000 miles with Manual Trans I have been having a similar issue when cold. in shifting between first and second, I sometimes have trouble getting it all the way into gear. it will also do this when down shifting at traffic light. been to the dealer 4 or so times they can not seem to come up with a solution

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Rob
Hey Rob,

Thanks for posting. The "issue" never really went away for me. I took it back to the dealership once or twice more (while it was cold outside) but they could not find anything wrong and didn't seem to notice the problem. I also had my Dad drive it (again, in cold weather) and he thought everything was normal. Not the ideal solution, admittedly....

If you end up finding a better one, please let me know! I'll be curious to hear what you learn.

Kurt
It sounds like a perfectly Ford answer: "everything is working as a designed, it is normal, bla bla bla BS"
You guys should keep your receipts or invoice or work sheets or whatever your dealer gave you when you take the car in for a warranty inspection. I tell you what, if your car has ~2,000 miles and presents clutch problems so it's a car issue, but if you're coming back with 60,000 miles and clutch problems, I'm not sure if you can claim warranty. Do you know what I mean?
In the other hand, Ford said is normal, have you taken the car to an independent shop to find out what they said?
Keep us inform! I drive stick

·
Registered
976 Posts
""What I would first do is bleed the clutch..."

Actually, with a brand new car under warranty, should take to dealer before doing anything.
Precisely.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My wife's Mazda3 was getting kinda stiff when shifting, particularly when cold. I had the local Firestone change the manual tranny fluid, and it was so much nicer even my wife noticed. MUCH smoother shifts. Her 3 is an '07 and had about 95k miles on it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Interesting. Mine has 35K on it, never had an issue, but my son has a 2000 focus, apparently the same gear box (?). Just had it rebuilt and if one is not "precise" in gear shifting, it wants to pop back out. It otherwise is fine, but concentration is required on the 2-3 shift.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My mom has a '12 with a stick and the times I've driven it there aren't any issues with the shifting. Hell its so smooth I can shift on the RPM's.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hey kaikens,

I'd like to connect you with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your Ford Dealer to come to a solution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Todd

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update

Hi Everyone,

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Rob
Update

I took may car to a different dealer they looked at it and say the the snycros are bad after 4 months waiting on parts they came in, I will update you when i get my car back later this week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Rob,

Okay, do that. I'm still curious to see how it turns out. Of course, the summer has been great but cold weather is going to be headed my way soon... That's when I notice it a lot more.

Kurt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts