Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all you other Focus lovers... I know I've seen a few of you talking about a roof rack for our new 2012's. A handful of people have had some Q&A's about this and that in other threads...I guess we can start here with a bunch of pictures with my fresh install of THULE's new AeroBlade Load Bar system! It's killer sick I love it [goofydrunk]

This was my shopping list that I needed for the AeroBlade Load Bars/2012 Focus-(Fit Kit), and this is my first ever roof rack on any car I've had: (I ordered my stuff from RackAttack.com)

x1 Thule 480R Rapid Traverse Foot Pack
x1 Thule ARB53 53 Inch AeroBlade Load Bars
x1 Thule Traverse Fit Kit 1627 (2012 Ford Focus)
x2 Thule 516 Prologue
x2 Thule XADAPT9 Adapter Kit (if you get the AeroBlade Load Bars) --pic 6 from top--
x1 Thule 596 6-pack Lock Cores (have to keep it locked up safe [lockdance])

(I didn't order what Ford has in their "Ford Accessories", they have the standard 480 foot pack, etc - I have the upgraded/top of the line system)

Now, onto some tasty pictures... [clap]

It was a pretty easy install, and with some YouTube how-to videos (credit RackAttack) and paying close attention to the instructions [read] (do reference), it went smoooooth [wrenchin]

I'll answer as much as I can to a specific question you have, rather than write a book on here.. Just wanted to get detailed photos up for everyone interested!

As for wind noise. These are THULE's "quietest bars every made". They foot the bill. It was pretty windy here today in Central FL, so it was mostly the crosswinds causing a faint 'whistle'. I think they will be 'silent' IMO, the air should just flow over them as they are modeled after airplane wings! They were pretty quiet on my way to work this morning, didn't notice any wind noise so much, (55mph).

Thanks for looking! [thumb]

Q&A welcome [wave]

(please don't "QUOTE" my thread-start, if you have a question I will answer it asap. We don't need to see all the pictures again in your post, haha)

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Looks really good!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Too bad it's a Trek ;)

(Giant sponsors my team :p)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could check that out (measure it) this afternoon. But since I threw in my car model information, 53" is what is recommended for the fit. Because I think there isn't enough space for a 47". On both sides (say on the front load bar from the tip to the foot) there is less than 3", so you would need at least 6" total to drop it down to 47"..which is why I don't think it'll work. Of course you can choose what you want, but they may correct you when detailing your order.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
232 Posts
I could check that out (measure it) this afternoon. But since I threw in my car model information, 53" is what is recommended for the fit. Because I think there isn't enough space for a 47". On both sides (say on the front load bar from the tip to the foot) there is less than 3", so you would need at least 6" total to drop it down to 47"..which is why I don't think it'll work. Of course you can choose what you want, but they may correct you when detailing your order.

Posted via FF Mobile
Thanks -- looks great BTW

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^Bro...I dunno. It would be a pretty tight fight it's like right on the edge from trying to stick a tape measure up to it. Are you wanting to check out the 47" for cost difference or preference or...? Just curious! But I would just call one of the websites to see if it would for sure fit, or even if they would recommend using the 47"

Thanks [;)]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks like from the pics the sunroof is still fully functional. It's a clean install. I've been looking for a solution for taking my bike to the trail. Do you mind telling us how much the set up cost all said and done?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Looks like from the pics the sunroof is still fully functional. It's a clean install. I've been looking for a solution for taking my bike to the trail. Do you mind telling us how much the set up cost all said and done?
I put on a hitch and used Thule T2 rear rack. Cost me $400 for the rack and $160 for the hutch. No drilling, just bolted right in.

·
Registered
232 Posts
^Bro...I dunno. It would be a pretty tight fight it's like right on the edge from trying to stick a tape measure up to it. Are you wanting to check out the 47" for cost difference or preference or...? Just curious! But I would just call one of the websites to see if it would for sure fit, or even if they would recommend using the 47"

Thanks [;)]

I'll stick to the 53's -- it was just a matter of reducing overhang as much as possible -- style preference, but not a biggie.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got hooked up with RackAttack(.com) and had a whole bunch of help from them. They offer a 10% discount on all THULE and YAKIMA racks, so after considering my options, I went with them. In total it was $625USD. But that included the Xadapt9 adapters (~$20) for the AeroBlades, two upright bike racks (~$200), and a set on (6) locks to keep it safe (~$67). also the fit kit for the 2012's, (~$67).

Quality people and quality help, plus quickkk ship [burnout]

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I put on a hitch and used Thule T2 rear rack. Cost me $400 for the rack and $160 for the hutch. No drilling, just bolted right in.

Not bad!! [thumb] We paid around the same price, you ~$560, and for my whole set up with everythiiiiing two racks, set of 6 locks etc, $625! So all in all we are starting to have a bunch of options [;)]

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll stick to the 53's -- it was just a matter of reducing overhang as much as possible -- style preference, but not a biggie.
No I hear you. In person it doesn't look that bad actually. I like it a lot. Because I too, was worried about an overhang. But with out cars being "curvy", there is no actual overhang over the side of the car itself; doesn't overhang past the curvature of the windows if that makes sense..... maybe these pics will help clear your concern up a bit:

[race]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Love the roof rack! Ive been saving up for one because Im tired of breaking my bike down to fit it in the back.

One question, in the pic with the hatch up its looking pretty close to your wheel. I have a 29er and wondering if that will fit length wise with hatch up?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Biggest question...How do you get your hatch open so wide??!

Mine opens up to about horizontal (as a 6'3" man I can *almost* stand up tall under it in certain areas, but not completely)...yours looks to be open straight up.

How??

·
Registered
882 Posts
Also, why do you block out your license plates in the pictures?

You realize that other drivers see your license number every single day, right? Literally, hundreds of people see them every day.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts