Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[hatchet][loveff][loveff]I was thinking of trading In my SVT focus this coming February for the 2012 focus ST, and my question concerns the bolt pattern on the 2012, is it the same 4/108, as my svt, i like to keep my current oz racing ultraleggras.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
It's most likely 5x114

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i am going to bet that is is 5x108 like the transit connect whch is based on the c170 platform

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's going to be a 5 bolt pattern of some size.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
ill bet its whatever the mazda 3 is

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it looks to be 5 bolt guess I'll have to re drill, lol dam i can't find a confirmed price on the st either

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've been reading up on it as I too am interested in the 2012's and everyone is betting on them being 5x108

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think you guys are right. Someone got their hands on the Titanium + Handling package, and really did some solid research. He was really targeting the suspension, but sprinkled in some wheel/tire specs in there as well. Now, this is for the handling package: He describes the wheels to be 18x8 with an offset of 55mm and a bolt pattern of 5x108. I've been looking for some rims with these specs, and it has not been easy. Only a handful of wheel websites even have the option to search for a 2012 Ford focus, but when you click search, there are no results.

source: http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/02/2012-ford-focus-titanium-suspension-walkaround.html

Any suggestions on where to look?

-B

·
Registered
552 Posts
Did a quick search and found out that vovlo runs this lug pattern along with others. I found these http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Borbet-Type-A-18-quot-x-8.5-quot-MINT!!-RARE!! Found more but that would be a lot to post
Yeah, one of those "others" that runs a 5x108 pattern is Ferrari, although the offset is way different. That's the other thing I've found to be very hard to match...a 55 offset is very large! I guess one could always use a spacer...[facepalm]

-B

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hey guys,

So here's my ideal setup, and it looks like they would fit, because they have all the correct specs, except for 1...the offset. I'm looking at the Motegi Racing MR116 18x8" wheels. They actually make them with a 5x108 bolt pattern, however the offset is a full centimeter (10mm) less than the OEM 18s (+55). I guess I'd have to add a 10mm wheel spacer to make this work right? I definitely don't want to compromise the handling of the 2012 Focus, as this is clearly its best attribute.

Here's the website for the tires:

http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rims/18x8-Motegi%2520Racing-MR116-Black%2520w%257C%2520Stripe.html

And here's a not-so-good mock-up of what the setup would look like.

Thoughts?

-B

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been looking to get the MR117 too and came across your thread.

If the Motegi is offered in +45 offset, 10mm less than OEM, then that will push the wheel/tire closer to the fenders by 10mm (assuming the OEM is also 8" wide). You won't need a spacer.
As offset gets closer to zero or more negative, the hub sinks into the wheel which pushes the wheel lip and tire sidewall further away from the car when it's mounted.
The best wheel/tire calculator I've found is here:
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
Enter in all your specs and then look at the very bottom of the page. The last three rows tell you how it will affect your clearance.

Hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
552 Posts

If the Motegi is offered in +45 offset, 10mm less than OEM, then that will push the wheel/tire closer to the fenders by 10mm (assuming the OEM is also 8" wide). You won't need a spacer.
As offset gets closer to zero or more negative, the hub sinks into the wheel which pushes the wheel lip and tire sidewall further away from the car when it's mounted.
Enter in all your specs and then look at the very bottom of the page. The last three rows tell you how it will affect your clearance.

Hope this helps you out!
Thanks man I appreciate it! Do you think pushing the wheels out another 1 cm to each side would affect handling all that much? I would like to get some aftermarket rims, but not at the cost of the great handling this car comes with.

Thanks again,

-B

·
Registered
179 Posts
I haven't looked inside the wheel well of the new focus but I'm sure there's room for a cm here and there. Looking at my ZX5, I've got almost an inch (25mm) of room. I'm planning to get the 18x8 45 offset and then order a 10mm spacer to get that euro look.

So long as you have clearance, your handling won't be noticeably affected.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I haven't looked inside the wheel well of the new focus but I'm sure there's room for a cm here and there. Looking at my ZX5, I've got almost an inch (25mm) of room. I'm planning to get the 18x8 45 offset and then order a 10mm spacer to get that euro look.

Cool. Let me know how it goes. It's going to be tough getting these rims all that quick after I just throw down ~8K for the car in the first place. But I'll keep you posted as well,

-B

·
Registered
179 Posts
Some dealerships let you tack on aftermarket parts to the financing of the car. Ever seen a lifted F-150 with sweet rims and gnarly tires at a dealership? See if you can get your rims and tires added to the financing. Don't forget to make sure they give you the factory rims and tires. These are included in the price of the car and are yours. You can put em in your garage for later or sell em on ebay.

I did that with my truck. I had snow tires on the factory rims and street tires on my aftermarket rims. That way I don't have to wait in line at Firestone when it comes time for snow tires. just jack it up - bolt off - bolt on.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Hope this helps you out!
Good info. But keep in mind that fitting different rims requires you to consider more than just offset. You also need to ensure that the new wheels have sufficient room to clear the brake calipers. The 2012's seem like the caliper is hanging our farther than other models, so in addition to offset also make sure the wheel "spokes" have enough clearance too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good info. But keep in mind that fitting different rims requires you to consider more than just offset. You also need to ensure that the new wheels have sufficient room to clear the brake calipers. The 2012's seem like the caliper is hanging our farther than other models, so in addition to offset also make sure the wheel "spokes" have enough clearance too.
Yeah. Good point. Though I wouldn't expect you to run into this problem very often, it could still ruin your day when UPS just dropped off the perfect rims.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts