Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not entirely sure what happened, but the metal holding the plastic support bracket
here VVVV has bent backwards

causing the bumper to warp. The bumper now looks like the muffler melted it a little, and when I tried to bend the metal back to it's original shape, the plastic bracket broke off.

Looking at it, there is a line in the bumper that outlines a cut out

Had some free time, decided to give this a try

Don't think it looks too bad, cuts down on a little drag. gives me a reason to add a nice shiny exhaust!

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I like the shape of the bumper, but not how much the muffler shows.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Too much shiny exhaust exposed.
If you paint the lunch box black it will look better. (cheap option)
I would buy new parts and make the car stock. (expensive option)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I scuffed the pipes and muffler lightly with scotchbrite, taped/masked around the muffler and sprayed two light coats of Rust-Oleum High Heat flat black (BBQ paint).

·
Registered
8 Posts
What did you guys use to cut it? Because I looked at my focus and saw the outline to cut it but I'm just wondering what you guys used to make it look so clean.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did you guys use to cut it? Because I looked at my focus and saw the outline to cut it but I'm just wondering what you guys used to make it look so clean.
honestly ....an old steak knife. I'm pretty sure a dremel would have been easier, but it was what I had at the time. The cleanliness comes from going slow, and finishing it with sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I applaud the ingenuity, but I cant say I like the look. Definitely gotta paint the exhaust black like 2012SEL...

I also dont think I does any good for you aerodynamics. Every piece of this car is designed to work with the others to get a good drag coefficient. Having a shorter rear valance is likely going to cause more turbulence at the back of the car, not good for aero. BUT before the flaming begins, its your car, and the choice is yours, so bravo! I doubt there is enough effect back there to reall impact milage,

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I applaud the ingenuity, but I cant say I like the look. Definitely gotta paint the exhaust black like 2012SEL...

I also dont think I does any good for you aerodynamics. Every piece of this car is designed to work with the others to get a good drag coefficient. Having a shorter rear valance is likely going to cause more turbulence at the back of the car, not good for aero. BUT before the flaming begins, its your car, and the choice is yours, so bravo! I doubt there is enough effect back there to reall impact milage,
I painted the muffler flat black now, but I think it would help reduce drag if anything at all. I don't think that every piece on this car was put together solely for the purpose of reducing drag. I think they were more concerned with appearance when it comes to that portion of the bumper.
and it's going to make way for a rear diffuser i have planned.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I like the appearance with the cutout removed. Makes the backside of the car look less chunky (does this valence make my bumper look fat?)

Painting the rear muffler is a good idea with this mod. Removing the rear muffler altogether would be interesting too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the appearance with the cutout removed. Makes the backside of the car look less chunky (does this valence make my bumper look fat?)

Painting the rear muffler is a good idea with this mod. Removing the rear muffler altogether would be interesting too.
I think that a chrome, dual exit, quad tip (similar to a WRX) would look great back there, im not usually into flashy shjt but it works for those scooby guys. But i think im going to go the other route and just have a pipe going straight out the back.

·
Registered
511 Posts
That back valance screams AFTERMARKET OPPORTUNITY.

I'd be willing to buy an insert to replace the valance with a nicely sculpted dual exhaust insert. I can imagine a package where you cut the valance at the crease line and snap in the new piece. Keep it well under $100.00. I believe the replacement part like the one shown below is around $70.00

Like this V6 Fusion...

Stole the picture from this Forum...
http://www.mazdaspeeders.com/index.php?topic=180276.0

1 - 12 of 12 Posts