Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably beating a dead horse but I am curious how many people with these stick shifts have the "gear rollover" I've only seen a few in the shop for service like oil changes and in that limited time I've never heard any noise from the transmission. But in a shop with other noises going on and me not exactly looking for it maybe it was there and I didn't hear it. So my question is simple who all has this issue on these focuses and how loud is it?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I'm probably beating a dead horse but I am curious how many people with these stick shifts have the "gear rollover" I've only seen a few in the shop for service like oil changes and in that limited time I've never heard any noise from the transmission. But in a shop with other noises going on and me not exactly looking for it maybe it was there and I didn't hear it. So my question is simple who all has this issue on these focuses and how loud is it?
Mine is worse when she's hot!

It loud enough to hear it at a red light in a hot summer...

It's a "non-issue" with all the MTX-75...

It's been like that since 1992

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey all,

new here and just gave away my old 2000 focus zts and bought a 2012 SEL with a 5-speed manual transmission. just curious if the manual transmissions on these suffer from any of the shuddering and grinding issues that i see people talking about on the automatics. i'm quite happy with mine so far, although i managed to get a chip in the windshield shortly after i bought it.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
hey all,

new here and just gave away my old 2000 focus zts and bought a 2012 SEL with a 5-speed manual transmission. just curious if the manual transmissions on these suffer from any of the shuddering and grinding issues that i see people talking about on the automatics. i'm quite happy with mine so far, although i managed to get a chip in the windshield shortly after i bought it.
No, since the 5 speed manual is user controlled there are no reports of shuddering and grinding. The only way that it would shudder is with poor application of the clutch and or user error to grind the gears.

There have been reports of gear roll over noise, but that's endemic to the MTX75 since the dawn of the gearbox, and is nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My '14 SE 5 speed rattles pretty loud, but it's just rollover noise common to the MTX-75. My dealership thought it was the throwout bearing and they replaced it, but it still rattles. I'm still learning to tune it out, but I've seen many threads and posts, seems to be common.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Few things I've noticed about the manual box is that it doesn't like being shifted fast. I've had to deliberately slow down my shift speed a bit since she'll grid slightly if I go too fast. Secondly, when driving in 4th, if you blip the gas the stick will bounce quite a bit. I've had manual transmissions my whole life and never had one that would bounce the stick that hard. It's only 4th that does it too.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It's a "non-issue" with all the MTX-75...

It's been like that since 1992
There have been reports of gear roll over noise, but that's endemic to the MTX75 since the dawn of the gearbox, and is nothing to be concerned about.
My '14 SE 5 speed rattles pretty loud, but it's just rollover noise common to the MTX-75.... I've seen many threads and posts, seems to be common.
While that's all well and good, it's rediculous to have a transmission that sounds like it's got pieces and parts bouncing around in it. There's no real excuse for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts