Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Unicorn Owner
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as it turns out the Chattanooga police department recently added the 2012 focus to their fleet, and I was told I should post them in the showroom to let all my other Focus brothers and sisters see that there is both sides of the law in the Focus community. [histerical]

-VonKrause-

·
Registered
310 Posts
What enhancements have they done to them? Police cars in America are usually pretty vicious sleepers.

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Considering it's only Parking Enforcement.. and not a patrol car.. I'd have to imagine they haven't done much.

·
Unicorn Owner
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I have heard they aren't anything special... yet... for the most part it would seem that they are going to not "beat" officers at schools and, as above, traffic. Still it is pretty cool that they are now the 5-0

:p

·
Registered
310 Posts
Didn't see the huge Parking Enforcement written on the side. I need to be more observant lol.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think all cops should be driving smaller cars. Around here they still drive V8 crown vics, tahoes and explorers. Basically all gas hogs. Its a waste of our tax money. Especially when in a lot of places,they're not allowed to pursue cars in a high-speed chase. So, they don't need all that oomph anymore.

·
Unicorn Owner
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think all cops should be driving smaller cars. Around here they still drive V8 crown vics, tahoes and explorers. Basically all gas hogs. Its a waste of our tax money. Especially when in a lot of places,they're not allowed to pursue cars in a high-speed chase. So, they don't need all that oomph anymore.
Well the Crown Vic might be a gas hog but as a platform for a cop car there isn't much better, it's a powerful sturdy steel bodied car that has the stance to stay on the road and force others off it. All in all we are worse off now that Ford has stopped production.

I have family in the PD and you don't want to be in a fiberglass/plastic car when you are going up against another vehicle. [burnout]

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Speaking of which, I really wish there were bolt-on aftermarket bumper bars for our car. It would be sooooo sexy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hmmm...Finally something I can chime in on.

I was a cop for many years. The Crown vic's we had are NOT powerful but they are reliable, sturdy and large enough to be a mobile office.

Engine was the 4.6L V8, same one in my 2001 F150. Bulletproof.

Police interceptor package came with and upgraded alternator (for all the electronics), beefed up suspension and upgraded cooling components for all the excess idling. Cops like to sit in the same spot for a long period of time....Yaaaawnnnn. J/k

Now, Ford has began to produce a new Police Interceptor based off the Taurus platform. It will be the first uni-body design for a police cruiser. Ford says it will as sturdy and the old body on chassis. Engine will be the 3.5 V6, Same at the Taurus again with upgraded alternator, suspension and cooling. Ford Advised they will offer the Ecoboost as an option but I don's see many department taking it.

CarbonMotors also is a new player in the game and Chevy is back with the Caprice from Australia.

http://www.carbonmotors.com/

http://jalopnik.com/5373645/exclusive-the-chevy-caprice-police-car-is-back

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=32207

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
With the Crown Vics going away and more departments adopting other vehicles.. it's a whole mess of cars you gotta keep alert for on the road.
But it might just get police departments to hang on to the crown vics til the wheels fall off.
I've owned an 03 and they're basically a small tank without the big gun on top.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
cops around here drive more then the vics, tahoes.. ect. in sthomas where i used to live they had a undercover SHO taraus and london had a few cobras as their "speed enforcement".

·
Registered
249 Posts
I know that the 4.6 is not powerful in a car that size, I still think its too much. I'm sure there are some policeman who require a bigger vehicle. Mainly K9 units and units that have two cops in one car. But I live in a suburban /rural area and they don't have any of that. Its always one officer just sitting and letting the car idle (I know they have to do this) but I think they can make do with a smaller car. If its required to use it as a "ramrod" lol. Put bumper guards on it. Most cruisers have those anyway.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, mainly cops, but I just see most cruisers as excess that our government just can't afford.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I know that the 4.6 is not powerful in a car that size, I still think its too much. I'm sure there are some policeman who require a bigger vehicle. Mainly K9 units and units that have two cops in one car. But I live in a suburban /rural area and they don't have any of that. Its always one officer just sitting and letting the car idle (I know they have to do this) but I think they can make do with a smaller car. If its required to use it as a "ramrod" lol. Put bumper guards on it. Most cruisers have those anyway.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, mainly cops, but I just see most cruisers as excess that our government just can't afford.
Of all the things our government has that it can't afford, I think cruisers are at the bottom of the list. My dad was a cop for a while in one of the most ghetto neighborhoods in socal. It was comforting knowing he had a car that could take anything you would throw at it and keep going. Also, coincidentally, my first car was a crown vic. They're actually not as terrible on gas as you may think. I regularly got 300-400 miles to the tank on a '99. They're super stable and incredibly solid.

And also, if they down sized to a smaller car, which wouldn't be body on frame, imagine all the repair costs and new car purchases from bending the unibody in a collision. And try and shove someone in cuffs, behind a cage, into a tiny car haha

1 - 20 of 26 Posts