Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windshield of my 2012 must have a plastic coating both inside and out, as do all the other widows.
So cleaning them is not so easy. I like to use Rain X on all windows, but clearing off all the swirl marks Rain X is leaving is tough.

It all looks OK until in direct sunlight where the swirls and all can be seen.
(my last car was a 1999 and just had 'real glass'.
Is this (what I am calling plastic coated, 'cuz it certainly is NOT plain glass) something common?
And what do folks use to keep this sort of glass clean?

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
Maybe some kind of UV coating? Idk.

Glass is easily cleaned with something like Stoners Invisible Glass. If it needs more, I've been known to compound it. Have also used #0000 steel wool before.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steel wool would be fine on ordinary glass, this stuff is not ordinary glass. It is plain as day some sort of plastic coating on the glass. No way would i use things that might creat problems with the coating.
What do folks use to clean tint?

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
Invisible Glass. I use it too. I like the pump spray rather than the aerosol because it's easier to control.

Says right on it that it is safe for tint, so I presume it would be safe for plastic coating. Why would all the glass be plastic-coated? I know windshields are laminated but side and rear glass usually isn't.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
rainx is known to leave swirls due to it's silicon components. To remove it without scratching, use "Bon Ami Polishing Cleanser". Please note the name is exact as 'Bon Ami' also makes other cleaners that can scratch. Also note that it will say right on the container "cleans without scratching". I also have used rainx and it made a mess of my glass windows. Bon Ami took it off nicely. Got this tip from a BMW site where they complained about the same issue!
Note: For interior windows, Just get a damp cloth, sprinkle a bit of the cleanser on it, rub it into the rag and wipe it down. rinse with another damp rag and follow with 'invisible glass'. I had to do one window 3 times, but this way you won't make a mess of your interior if it got it there as well. Outside you can get wetter if your going to wash the car anyway.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Never heard of a plastic coated windshield before.. How do you know its plastic? My glasses are poly-carbonate(plastic) but the look exactly like glass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe that coating is the laminated glass for sound resistance. I used Zep foaming glass cleaner and a micro-fiber towel. Both from Home Depot and it cleaned all the windows up just fine.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Just use the Bon Ami. It safely/easily removes rainx, has no harsh chemicals (actually, it does not have any chemicals at all. So no worry with the interior trim 'reacting'), it's cheap, and all it takes it a couple of towels and some water. Don't forget to wipe down your wiper blades as rainx will have gotten on them as well.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Well, maybe so. But there isn't any options really. Rainx leaves swirls. Don't want the swirls, don't use rainx.

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
Well, maybe so. But there isn't any options really. Rainx leaves swirls. Don't want the swirls, don't use rainx.
I've never had rainx leave swirls. You guys know you're supposed to apply the stuff and then buff it off right? After the alcohol evaporates just leaving the silicon behind. Maybe you guys didn't get a good even application?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
lots of folks complain it leaves swirls, I personally though had a different issue. I had applied rainx to the exterior of the windows, then without thinking used the same rag I had applied it with to the interior of the windows. What a mess! (note: rainx directions specifically states 'don't do that'). That is how I found out about 'bon ami'. The 'rainbow' effect however was awesome, but not desirable.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The windshield is two layers of tempered glass with a layer of plastic in between, all other windows are tempered glass.

There is no plastic on the outside, a windshield would be useless from the scratches in 6 months or less if they coated the outside with plastic.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
The windshield is two layers of tempered glass with a layer of plastic in between, all other windows are tempered glass.

There is no plastic on the outside, a windshield would be useless from the scratches in 6 months or less if they coated the outside with plastic.
Pretty much...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Elizabeth I think the dealers treat the glass with rainx or something mine is the same way. I need to get some Invisible glass to clean it up... but the water does bead up and run right off!

ETA: Vinegar! Use diluted vinegar and a microfiber towel on the glass and that clears the haze right off. But you need to keep changing to clean towels the gunk coats the towels too. I suspect the stuff on the inside is from oils in the plastics - that new car smell.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Elizabeth, if you just got the vehicle (i think you did??) maybe pay the stealership a visit and see what they might recommend. I'm not discounting any of the great ideas here, but if the prep boy put something on the windows, it would nice to know what it was. keep us abreast. peace, john

1 - 20 of 24 Posts