Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I hate to create a new thread, almost a week of searching has yielded nothing.

I have taken the car to the dealership last week regarding this issue, with no resolution. The car will make a squeak/creaking noise that sounds like an old mattress when hitting the speed bumps. This issue started after having a TSB done for the clunking thud noise the suspension made when hitting bumps or braking hard enough.

Has anyone else out there had this and knows exactly where to look/what to do/ what to replace? I'd rather do it myself at this point even though it's still under warranty because I just can't trust my dealership anymore. Waste of my time and money.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha. The focus is a car just like any other. It's gonna have problems no doubt. But smiling won't make them go away. I prefer to fix it!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
That could be from a number of places. End links, strut mounts, struts, A-arm bushings. It'd be great to get the car on a alignment rack & push & pull(rock it up & down)the car up & down to see if you can here it. I'll take it back & say I don't want any CNV's= can not varifi. You want it fixed.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I only have this issue in cold weather. From what I've read on others' posts, it was coming from the lower control arm bushings as replacing the lower control arm seemed to stop it.

You might be able to try lubricating them first?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only have this issue in cold weather. From what I've read on others' posts, it was coming from the lower control arm bushings as replacing the lower control arm seemed to stop it.

I'm gonna get to them and try that. See if it helps. Mine is all the time. Cold or hot. Just on speed bumps

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have the same issue.

Have you guys been to your dealer to have this checked? Please let me know along with your mileage.

I'm gonna get to them and try that. See if it helps. Mine is all the time. Cold or hot. Just on speed bumps
Is your Focus still at the dealer, or do you have an appointment to go back?

Meagan

·
Registered
96 Posts
alexr58:

Don't give up. You have to be persistent and polite and make sure that the Service Advisor issues a ticket so the problem is documented. Take the tech for a drive and tell him exactly when you hear the noise. If you don't squawk about the noise then work that should be done under warranty will not get done and the noise will drive you nuts. Ford needs to see that their customers want and expect that car noises are not acceptable and need to be fixed.

My 2 cents.

Chris

·
Registered
292 Posts
I got upper strut grease last fall and last month. It's mostly quiet now. Although I swear I can here noise throughout a full steering rotation left right right left.. But no performance issues

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after visiting them again I got the grease fix. Car was quiet for a few days and then came back. I had decided on living with it until the manager of the dealer called me to see if I was satisfied. Told him it wasn't fixed and that I had honestly decided to live with it. He was extremely persistent about getting me back in before warranty expires. So I dropped it off again Thursday. Getting new sway bar bushings installed first thing tomorrow. They put me in a rental for the meantime. (2014 Elantra, very cheap and weak, want my focus back!) hopefully this will do the trick.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
So after visiting them again I got the grease fix... Getting new sway bar bushings installed first thing tomorrow.
Ask them to grease your lower control arm bushings while they're at it. A few people had the noise go away after replacing the LCAs, but I'm not really convinced that replacement is necessary.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ask them to grease your lower control arm bushings while they're at it. A few people had the noise go away after replacing the LCAs, but I'm not really convinced that replacement is necessary.

After they replaced the sway bar bushings, it quickly became obvious it wasn't the issue. I brought it back and told them to check the control arms. To replace the bushings there because I was certain it was coming from there. They one did more than that, they put in new control arms and new bushings.

Been driving for 3 weeks now trouble free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts