Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past month I've started noticing a distinctly loud humming noise coming from the rear passenger side of my Focus. Its a 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback with the sports suspension for context.

I originally thought based on searches online and this forum that it could be a wheel bearing. However in talking with one of my buddies he said that a wheel bearing would be a much higher pitched sound. The sounds is rather low and really kicks in around ~30mph and gradually gets a little higher as I hit the freeway.

I then thought it was maybe tires being low so I ensured they were filled all the way. No dice.

I also just put my winter tires on over the weekend and the noise is a little lower pitched, but still very present.

I thought maybe something with the muffler but I feel like if that was the case the pitch would follow the RPM's rather than speed? I gave it a visual inspection when I changed the tires and it looks fine to me.

I do have a lot of the noisy transmission and grinding problems others have mentioned and have tried to get this fixed based on the FSA letter I recieved, but the dealership around here (metro Detroit) are booked until Feb '15 fixing this problem. I wonder if it is something related to the trans?

Any ideas you may have would be helpful. Thanks!

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
I had a similar issue. Is it a rhythmic humming that comes and goes but speeds up as you go faster? That's what mine was like and it WAS the wheel bearing. It wasn't high pitched for me but rather a low, subtle, rhythmic hum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure its exactly rhythmic I guess. It starts around ~30 and gradually increases pitch and volume, but its consistent as far as it being noticeable and taking over the cabin.

If it was a wheel bearing, would it typically go in and out?

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Hmm... I'm not sure. Mine was consistent and was always there when I would go over a certain speed (normally over 20mph). Sounds similar. If you are in warranty bring it to ford.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have your wheels been balanced recently? Well it might not be it, in the past i have had my rear tires make noises after specific speeds due to wear changing the balance or weights falling off.

Is there any vibration when you get to higher speeds that you notice? Also when yo put the winters on, were they on their own rims (am assuming on rims given it sounds like you changed them, but still have to ask)?

If you did do it yourself, did you check the wheel for play when you had it jacked up or spin the tire well it was up to see if there were any abnormal noises well it was spinning (compared to other wheels)? These tests can help determine if it is indeed a bearing or if it is just tire balance/wear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have your wheels been balanced recently? Well it might not be it, in the past i have had my rear tires make noises after specific speeds due to wear changing the balance or weights falling off.

Is there any vibration when you get to higher speeds that you notice? Also when yo put the winters on, were they on their own rims (am assuming on rims given it sounds like you changed them, but still have to ask)?

If you did do it yourself, did you check the wheel for play when you had it jacked up or spin the tire well it was up to see if there were any abnormal noises well it was spinning (compared to other wheels)? These tests can help determine if it is indeed a bearing or if it is just tire balance/wear.
I've never had the wheels balanced, though I do rotate them each time Spring/Fall when I change them.

There isn't any vibration, only noise. The winter tires have there own steel rims.

No I didn't do anything like you suggested. I wasn't really sure what kind of tests to do if it was a bad bearing. I can try this though...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Changing wheels/tires & it didn't change the noise points toward the bearing.

Speed dependent noise is what points that way, and you eliminated the other prime possibility.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Changing wheels/tires & it didn't change the noise points toward the bearing.

Speed dependent noise is what points that way, and you eliminated the other prime possibility.
This is true enough, i was just mentioning the other tests to act as more of a confirmation as they are free and easy enough to preform quickly, to remove the remote possibility of it being 2 sets of unbalanced tires or alignment before taking the time/effort/money to replace the bearing assembly.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Definitely check as well as possible, I wasn't disputing your comments at all.

Another two cents pointing in the same direction for what to look at.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Over the past month I've started noticing a distinctly loud humming noise coming from the rear passenger side of my Focus. Its a 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback with the sports suspension for context.

I originally thought based on searches online and this forum that it could be a wheel bearing. However in talking with one of my buddies he said that a wheel bearing would be a much higher pitched sound. The sounds is rather low and really kicks in around ~30mph and gradually gets a little higher as I hit the freeway.

I then thought it was maybe tires being low so I ensured they were filled all the way. No dice.

I also just put my winter tires on over the weekend and the noise is a little lower pitched, but still very present.

I thought maybe something with the muffler but I feel like if that was the case the pitch would follow the RPM's rather than speed? I gave it a visual inspection when I changed the tires and it looks fine to me.

I do have a lot of the noisy transmission and grinding problems others have mentioned and have tried to get this fixed based on the FSA letter I recieved, but the dealership around here (metro Detroit) are booked until Feb '15 fixing this problem. I wonder if it is something related to the trans?

Any ideas you may have would be helpful. Thanks!
I want to look into this further. Can you please let me know your mileage?

Meagan

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wheel bearings can make all sorts of sounds. Scraping sound, low hum, high hum, jet engine sound, you name it. But on a 2012? I doubt it.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks guy for your input. I've made an appointment to get it checked out this weekend, we'll see what they say.
Hi Bard_Titanium,

I'm glad to hear you have an appointment set up. I'm happy to look into additional assistance; what's your current mileage?

Meagan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts