Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded-in my 2002 ZX3 and picked up my 2012 Focus SE Hatchback. After seeing what happened to the exposed front edge of 2002's hood, I thought it might a good idea to get a air/bug deflector to protect it on the 2012. Anyone know where I can get one (other that Ford)? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for protecting that front edge of the hood?

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
You mean this?

Not to sound like an ass but you're going to get chips, scratches, dust, dirt, etc. all over the hood and windshield regardless of what you put there. Traveling on any sort of highway/interstate is going to do this over time. People are quick to blame manufacturers for using "cheap paint", but really any sort of gravel debris smacking your car at 60+ mph will do that.

I was OCD about the same thing when I first bought my car brand new. I kept my distance from tractor trailers, salt trucks, pickups, etc. But over time I just accepted the fact that I'd get blemishes all over it because I travel on the turnpike frequently. On any given summer day there's tons of moth and bug guts caked onto my front bumper regardless of how often I wash it.

If you really want to care for your car's paint job simply wax it on a regular basis. Even then it's not going to completely protect it, but it'll at least provide an extra layer of protection against the elements. In the end you gotta remember that it's not some driveway trophy that needs to be polished everyday. It's just a frickin' car and it's meant to be driven!

[driving]

PS: As the former owner of an '02 ZX3 myself, welcome to Focus Fanatics!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
There was a discussion of chipping paint, and using a protective shielding material for the hood front, and rest of the front of the car.
There is a 3M ?? material that window tint type places can place on the front to prevent scratches. Some types are guaranteed for life, others are cheaper..
Anyway. the idea is there to protect fronts of cars..

·
Registered
712 Posts
Here is a pretty good thread discussing several protection solutions.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263549

I ended up with a magnetbra ($49) since it is easily removable and does not damage the paint like leather bras. Doesn't look too bad either ..I posted some pictures with it on my Red Candy Hatch on pg 9 in that thread. I was going to do the 3M film but went with the cheaper & more easily removable solution. The deflector involves drilling holes in the hood which I did not like and, I did not want to change the aerodynamics of the car either.

Pic from their site

1 - 6 of 6 Posts