Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Focus Titanium. It appears that the heated mirros do not heat up. I have taken it to the dealer and they say they work fine. However, I beleive they should come on with the rear window heater and stay on as long as it is on.

Is this correct?

How warm should the mirrors get? My rear window gets very warm to the touch but the mirrors never even get warm.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
How warm should the mirrors get? My rear window gets very warm to the touch but the mirrors never even get warm.
Hi bman2012,

The mirrors only get to about body temperature, warm enough to defog or melt ice, but they will not feel hot to the touch. They are on anytime the rear defroster is on. The best way to test the function is to turn on the heated back glass on a frosty day and see if the mirrors defrost. If not, then your dealer can check the wiring to them.

Hope that helps! [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
46 Posts
We have a 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE - with heated seats and heated mirrors.
Was also wondering when the mirrors turn on,
as it would seem logical to piggyback on the rear defroster circuit -
but seem to recall the dealer thought it might be the heated seats switches... which made no sense.

BTW - the "heated mirrors" topic is not listed anywhere in the 2013 Owners Guide, 3rd printing, 2012 -
as far as I could not find them listed...

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
We have a 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE - with heated seats and heated mirrors. Was also wondering when the mirrors turn on,
as it would seem logical to piggyback on the rear defroster circuit - but seem to recall the dealer thought it might be the heated seats switches... which made no sense.
Hey ps56k,

To clarify, you'd like to know the temp. at which the heated mirrors activate, right? Let me know and I'll look into this.

Todd

·
Registered
184 Posts
no....
since the entire topic of Heated Mirrors is not even mentioned in the Owners Guide, which switch makes the Heated Mirrors turn on ?
From page 142 of the 2013 owner's manual:
F. Rear defrost: Turns the heated windows and mirrors off and on. See Heated windows and mirrors later in this chapter for more information.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From page 142 of the 2013 owner's manual:
F. Rear defrost: Turns the heated windows and mirrors off and on. See Heated windows and mirrors later in this chapter for more information.
thanks - I keep looking in the Index at the end, and can't find these little nuggets...
Looked in the TOC and Index for "Heated Mirrors" -
guess I needed to expand the box,
and think like "Rear Defrost" might also somehow mean "Heated Mirrors".

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Moved to MK3 FOCUS

The mirrors can only handle melting a small amount of ice.

This all formed during a 1 hour drive with the heated mirrors always on.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Moved to MK3 FOCUS

The mirrors can only handle melting a small amount of ice.

This all formed during a 1 hour drive with the heated mirrors always on.
the mirrors and their heating elements are really designed for light frost, not wet and /or heavy snow...

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
the mirrors and their heating elements are really designed for light frost, not wet and /or heavy snow...
Your right. But it wasn't snowing.

This doesn't even make the list for complaints about that car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts