Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally picked up my new car last nigtht, a 2012 silver SE focus with a manual transmission and sport package. Everything seems to be working as advertised, no issues.

Well, maybe one issue. I noticed that my right foot kept hitting the brake pedal when I would lift it off the throttle. It looks like the distance between the center console column and the break pedal is too narrow for the accelerator. I am an average sized person (5'9")! I am obviously a little concerned about this. Maybe a set of aftermarket thinner pedals would do the trick - if such a thing is possible? Did anybody else experience this? Thoughts?

Otherwise the car is great.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, I'm averaged size too, I don't believe there is anything different with the spacing on the focus other than what you've been previously been used to. You just need to get used to driving a different car...
Chris

·
Registered
747 Posts
Agreed with OP, maybe its just big feet but I'd like a half inch more room personally between them

·
Registered
86 Posts
I didn't notice anything like that when I test drove a sedan, and I wear size 12.5-13 shoes. I did think the pedals were pretty small though, not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi, I'm averaged size too, I don't believe there is anything different with the spacing on the focus other than what you've been previously been used to. You just need to get used to driving a different car...
Chris
Hi, is it just me or do you have a cheeky response for everything that is posted on here? All he was asking for was some feedback if anyone else felt the need for more space between the pedals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sirscottalot

I feel the same way, there should be a little more room between the gas pedal and the break pedal. My car is an automatic and I noticed it. I had more space with my 07 focus. Its right at the bottom corner of the break pedal edge that my shoe catches. If they rounded the corners then this would not happen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel the same way, there should be a little more room between the gas pedal and the break pedal. My car is an automatic and I noticed it. I had more space with my 07 focus. Its right at the bottom corner of the break pedal edge that my shoe catches. If they rounded the corners then this would not happen.
That's exactly right. I am 100% sure that this is not a matter of "just getting used to it". I've been driving manual cars for something like 30 years, and I have NEVER experienced my shoe catching on the break pedal. Actually it seems rather dangerous to me. I wear heavier shoes in the winter, I can see this becoming a more serious problem.

I try to of course naturally compensate by moving my foot to the right, but it immediately encounters the center console, which definitely gave me a bit of a start.

My S2000, which is pretty agressive, does not have this issue....

I will talk to the dealer to see what they say at my next oil change. Other then that, I really like this car.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I honestly feel the space is huge. I can't even come close to heel toe shifting. Size 9.5US 42/43EU

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi, is it just me or do you have a cheeky response for everything that is posted on here? All he was asking for was some feedback if anyone else felt the need for more space between the pedals.
He's British, it's in his nature to be cheeky [8D]

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's not just you.

I have this bother me once in a while. I rub the inside of my shoe on the brake. It's not terrible, but I notice it.

Hoping that when sport pedals are made for the car I don't tear up my shoes. Still waiting on word from the company if they are making them from the templates I sent yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I honestly feel the space is huge. I can't even come close to heel toe shifting. Size 9.5US 42/43EU
What I will do tomorrow is take a picture in both of my cars, the Focus 2012 and the S2000. This may help everyone to see what is going on. If someone else wants to that as well that would be great.

·
Registered
609 Posts
He's British, it's in his nature to be cheeky [8D]
heh. my fathers is British as well, hence my ability to pick up on it well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is one of the first things I noticed too.

After driving for 2000K, I rarely have the issues anymore.

It really is a matter of just getting used to the peddles being closer together.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a size US 10.5 shoe and have never noticed this as being an issue. It is a little close i admit but i don't experience the issues OP has

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I made a little pad about an inch thick to add on to the throttle pedal. I had it on my Contour, and plan on sticking it on the Focus. I like it to make the throttle and brake on the same plane, instead of the throttle being lower down.
(i do not have the issue in this thread. but the throttle pad is a solution.)
Sticky foam, with a fabric cover.

·
Registered
882 Posts
That's exactly right. I am 100% sure that this is not a matter of "just getting used to it". I've been driving manual cars for something like 30 years, and I have NEVER experienced my shoe catching on the break pedal. Actually it seems rather dangerous to me. I wear heavier shoes in the winter, I can see this becoming a more serious problem.

I try to of course naturally compensate by moving my foot to the right, but it immediately encounters the center console, which definitely gave me a bit of a start.

My S2000, which is pretty agressive, does not have this issue....

I will talk to the dealer to see what they say at my next oil change. Other then that, I really like this car.
That's weird, because I've had more than a few cars catch like that. Specifically, a BMW M3, Mustang GT, Cobalt SS, Corvette, and the horrific Audi TT. I wear a size 12-12.5 shoe and fairly consistently catch my foot on the brake pedal. It's not as if I'm putting half my foot on the pedal, just enough to catch for a second.

Also, you can't be 100% certain about anything when it comes to other people. It may be 100% true for you, but it's absolutely impossible and illogical to assume the same is true for anyone else.

And Elwood, cuke wasn't being cheeky. He was being correct. New cars always demand a different style of driving (to some degree). Also, I don't think you know what cheeky means.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts