Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am at a dead stop and I step on the accelerator the transmission feels like there is a hesitation or a stutter before it smooths out. Is this the characteristic of this car or tell tail signs of a problem ? 350 miles on car.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Pretty normal occurrence. Also, consolidate your issues/questions into one thread next time as to avoid cluttering up our forum, we don't have multiple sub-forums so every bit of space saving helps. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hate that shudder. Ir reminds me of starting a manual from a stop in third gear. Assuming you have an automatic, here my suggestion. Take your foot off the brake, wait for the car to get moving forward on it's own before you push the gas, when the car is moving then give it gas. It seems there is a pause between moving your foot off the brake and the car moving. Maybe it's that hill assist thinking about what to do? IDK.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When my Ti went across the 500 or 600 mile mark the shudder reduced significantly or maybe I just got used to it. I still have just a slight hesitation that reminds me of a Turbo Lag. In sport mode I dont seem to notice it as much.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I hate that shudder. Ir reminds me of starting a manual from a stop in third gear. Assuming you have an automatic, here my suggestion. Take your foot off the brake, wait for the car to get moving forward on it's own before you push the gas, when the car is moving then give it gas. It seems there is a pause between moving your foot off the brake and the car moving. Maybe it's that hill assist thinking about what to do? IDK.
It's the car shifting into a drive gear I'd assume. I imagine that unlike conventional torque converters where you can shift into N while driving without depressing the trigger on the shifter (or equivalent button) the reason you can't do that in our car is because the car uses some engine braking when slowing down and will shift into N at a stop itself. Then when your foot comes off the brake, the car shifts back into first and off you go. Hence the delay/shudder.

That's just my guess, I could be very wrong but it sounds plausible considering this is an automated manual transmission.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts