Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning when I ran my monthly vehicle health diagnostic with Sync I got an unexpected message. It was an urgent brake warning, and it recommended I schedule service immediately. Its odd though since my Focus seems to be stopping just fine, yet when I looked at my brake fluid it had this...stuff floating in it. It kinda looks like pieces of foam or algae, though I realize that last option is impossible. Pictures are after the link since embedding never seems to work for me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6070244379/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6070244851/in/photostream/

Thoughts? Is this an issue I should get checked immediately? Is it drive-able? Regardless this is odd considering the car just has 2000 miles on it.[???:)]

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Crap floating in your brake fluid + warranty = take that ish to the dealer.

At the very least they should flush your system for you. And while it is working at the moment, let a chunk of the get into the hose leading to your caliper and block off any pressure...

·
Registered
130 Posts
So this morning when I ran my monthly vehicle health diagnostic with Sync I got an unexpected message. It was an urgent brake warning, and it recommended I schedule service immediately. Its odd though since my Focus seems to be stopping just fine, yet when I looked at my brake fluid it had this...stuff floating in it. It kinda looks like pieces of foam or algae, though I realize that last option is impossible. Pictures are after the link since embedding never seems to work for me.

Thoughts? Is this an issue I should get checked immediately? Is it drive-able? Regardless this is odd considering the car just has 2000 miles on it.[???:)]
Did you have the parking brake on? Were you standing on the brakes? If so, try running the report again with both off.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I got the same warning when I ran mine when I first gpot it. Brakes are fine. I just stopped on a dime because some lady cut me off today.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd go straight the to dealer with it. The longer you wait, the longer the excuses may get to not fix it for free. Also, brakes are one thing I'd never take chances with on a car. Life & death could literally be in the balance.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd go straight the to dealer with it. The longer you wait, the longer the excuses may get to not fix it for free. Also, brakes are one thing I'd never take chances with on a car. Life & death could literally be in the balance.
Guess I'm driving the Mazda to classes tomorrow[facepalm]...I got an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Apparently it sent a copy of the health report directly to the dealer so they shouldn't say "oh nothings wrong".

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
If they say, "Oh nothing's wrong..." ask them if the debris in your fluid is just an optional extra.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
Guess I'm driving the Mazda to classes tomorrow[facepalm]...I got an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Apparently it sent a copy of the health report directly to the dealer so they shouldn't say "oh nothings wrong".
i had one come in with a leaking brake caliper

·
Registered
967 Posts
No kidding, here's a true story - I was driving my first car, a 1988 pontiac tempest about 10 years ago when I decided to visit a friend in a town about 70 miles away. I took the 401, the busiest highway in north america. It makes the LA freeways look like a leisurely spot to drive in comparison. Anyhow, I was leading a pack of cars and had about a half mile till the next pack in front of me. I was going over a hump and when I came down I decided to slow down so I went to hit the brakes a bit and - THE PEDAL FELL TO THE FLOOR. I was going about 75 mph coming up on stopped cars quick with no breaks at all. I didn't freak but decided to take my foot off the gas and make my way over to the right, there was an off ramp coming up and I didn't want to miss my chance. I ended up weaving in and out of cars, using the accelerator to keep pace with traffic. I even had to cut off a bus before flying at about 60 mph up the off ramp. Thankfully there was no traffic with me and at the end of the ramp I had a t-bone intersection and I had the green. I think I took the corner at about 45 or 50 mph and did a 4 wheel skid onto the main street. For the next few miles I just kept it in neutral and bled off speed, eventually rolling into a residential neighborhood. The car slowed and I put it into a curb in front of some old mans house - that's when I got out and kissed the ground.

I called the auto club and had my car towed all the way back to my mechanic. It turned out my brake lines had corroded from the inside out and when I hit the brakes going down that hump on the freeway the lines EXPLODED. I was really lucky to keep my calm, not get into any accidents and to get out of it in one piece - so yes...don't fool around with your brakes.

·
Registered
198 Posts

2012 Foucs "urgent brake warning"

Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly.

You get a message stating "urgent brake warning" on your service report, and instead of immediately going to any Ford dealership, you decide to go home, or elsewhere, and post this on a forum, and see what other people think?

Am I understanding you really are doing this?

Instead you are taking pictures of your brake fluid, and waiting to see what other people think after as of now, 19 hours, after your first post.

Instead of posting, why are you not at the Ford dealership, getting this attended to, "Oh the car stops so this means everything is OK", and if it didn't and you hit a pedestrian or rear ended another vehicle putting them in the hospital, would you be posting that the "warning message", was correct.

In the event that you do have a further brake problem, and injure or kill someone, how the heck are you going to explain these posts, and your apparent lack of concern, for such a serious event as a brake failure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the same warning the first time I ran the vehicle health report too. If you click on the warning and expand it....it'll mention to check if you have the parking break on. If you do/did have the parking break on, release it and just put your foot on the break pedal to keep the car from rolling away. Then run the vehicle health report again. When I did that, everything checked out fine. I'd be willing to bet that that's what your issue is.

I could be wrong in this assumption...but it seems to me that the vehicle health report feature is kinda useless. I think all it does is basically put out a report of any dash lights that are on. Which is why it sends a warning about the parking break...it has a light on the dash for when it's engaged. lol. Now, if it will give you a code with and when the check engine light comes on, that might be useful. Thankfully I haven't had the opportunity to discover if it does that.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2012 Foucs "urgent brake warning"

Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly.

You get a message stating "urgent brake warning" on your service report, and instead of immediately going to any Ford dealership, you decide to go home, or elsewhere, and post this on a forum, and see what other people think?

Am I understanding you really are doing this?

Instead you are taking pictures of your brake fluid, and waiting to see what other people think after as of now, 19 hours, after your first post.

Instead of posting, why are you not at the Ford dealership, getting this attended to, "Oh the car stops so this means everything is OK", and if it didn't and you hit a pedestrian or rear ended another vehicle putting them in the hospital, would you be posting that the "warning message", was correct.

In the event that you do have a further brake problem, and injure or kill someone, how the heck are you going to explain these posts, and your apparent lack of concern, for such a serious event as a brake failure.
Clearly I am concerned; hence not driving the car until its fixed. Also I ran the diagnostic while driving around my block and afterwards re-parked it in the driveway. Upon finding an issue I didn't understand, I came here to ask about it. I knew that stuff in the fluid wasn't normal but I had no idea how bad it was. Think of all the people who NEVER pay attention to their cars that probably have similar issues that go unnoticed. I understand that you may be upset at me, but I really think I'm playing things on the safe side by just asking in the first place instead of saying, "Oh that's fine I'll just leave that there."

·
Registered
29 Posts
No kidding, here's a true story - I was driving my first car, a 1988 pontiac tempest about 10 years ago when I decided to visit a friend in a town about 70 miles away. I took the 401, the busiest highway in north america. It makes the LA freeways look like a leisurely spot to drive in comparison. Anyhow, I was leading a pack of cars and had about a half mile till the next pack in front of me. I was going over a hump and when I came down I decided to slow down so I went to hit the brakes a bit and - THE PEDAL FELL TO THE FLOOR. I was going about 75 mph coming up on stopped cars quick with no breaks at all. I didn't freak but decided to take my foot off the gas and make my way over to the right, there was an off ramp coming up and I didn't want to miss my chance. I ended up weaving in and out of cars, using the accelerator to keep pace with traffic. I even had to cut off a bus before flying at about 60 mph up the off ramp. Thankfully there was no traffic with me and at the end of the ramp I had a t-bone intersection and I had the green. I think I took the corner at about 45 or 50 mph and did a 4 wheel skid onto the main street. For the next few miles I just kept it in neutral and bled off speed, eventually rolling into a residential neighborhood. The car slowed and I put it into a curb in front of some old mans house - that's when I got out and kissed the ground.

I called the auto club and had my car towed all the way back to my mechanic. It turned out my brake lines had corroded from the inside out and when I hit the brakes going down that hump on the freeway the lines EXPLODED. I was really lucky to keep my calm, not get into any accidents and to get out of it in one piece - so yes...don't fool around with your brakes.
Why didn't you use the emergency brake?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Why didn't you use the emergency brake?
Yea, seriously.

First thing to do if your car can't be stopped would be to turn on flashers and drop it into a lower gear. Even if it was auto you should have High/Low gears. If my auto mustang brakes died I could drop it into 2nd (2nd redlines at like 80mph) then apply e-brake slowly and bring it down to 30 or so where I could then put it in first (would be EXTREMELY rough on the transmission, most cars don't like going into first over like 10mph) but will get you stopped and keep you from dying.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What ever happened with this? Did the dealership fix anything?
Yeah it turns out it was a computer error so they just reset it and it went away. The parking brake wasn't on though during the diagnostic though so who knows what caused it. As for the crap floating in the tank the mechanic told me it was "master cylinder lubricant". Humph, never heard of that but if he claims it's harmless so be it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts