Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this car one month ago. Now there is a loud "whining" sound for a few seconds when I first start the car and then it will stop or become almost inaudible as the car continues to idle. Once I begin driving I no longer hear the sound until I'm coming to a stop, during which time I can hear it again. Any idea as to what could be causing this?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Does the sound rise in pitch if you rev the engine in neutral?
Or does it stay the same pitch?
Usually a whining sound is a belt.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Is it a manual? Some other people had bearing issues that sounded like whining.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does the sound rise in pitch if you rev the engine in neutral?
Or does it stay the same pitch?
Usually a whining sound is a belt.
When I first turn the car on the sound will rise in pitch and continue until I shift into drive and start out. Then, I no longer hear it until I'm coming to a stop.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Most annoying is the hypnotic high/low humming sound I hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of our 2012 Titanium Focus. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. The dealer replaced a wheel bearing with no resolution to the noise. Ford cannot find the cause.

Has anybody else noticed this same problem?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Most annoying is the hypnotic high/low humming sound I hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of our 2012 Titanium Focus. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. The dealer replaced a wheel bearing with no resolution to the noise. Ford cannot find the cause.

Has anybody else noticed this same problem?
Not sure if it was you, but someone else complained of a humming between those ranges. Did you mention it on another thread (along with the fact that they were 17" rims?)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Use a stethoscope.
Want a cheap one? get new tygon tubing [hardware store] 1/4" to 3/8" ID and place it on things that could go whine like water pump, alternator, power steering pump, etc

Maybe you will not find the source but at least you can begin to rule stuff out

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I just bought this car one month ago. Now there is a loud "whining" sound for a few seconds when I first start the car and then it will stop or become almost inaudible as the car continues to idle. Once I begin driving I no longer hear the sound until I'm coming to a stop, during which time I can hear it again.
Hi Eagleinthedark,

Congrats on your new Focus. I suggest bringing the whining noise to your dealer's attention so they can inspect it. Also, please contact Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre at 1.800.565.3673 to have your concerns addressed.

Oh I think I have a similar problem..Waiting for any answer.Thanks.
ErnestoEDowns78,

If you are unable to figure out why yours has the noise as well, the dealer will be able to diagnose it. Please let me know if you have any questions. [:)]

jimmyt - Is the Focus still at the dealer? Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help.

~Natasha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Eagleinthedark,

Congrats on your new Focus. I suggest bringing the whining noise to your dealer's attention so they can inspect it. Also, please contact Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre at 1.800.565.3673 to have your concerns addressed.

~Natasha
I just got my car back from the dealership and they said the sound was being caused by the heat shield and that they fixed it. However, the sound is still there. I guess I'll have to take it back again.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I just got my car back from the dealership and they said the sound was being caused by the heat shield and that they fixed it. However, the sound is still there. I guess I'll have to take it back again.
I know it's annoying to make repeated trips. When you contact Ford of Canada they can document your experience and provide assistance. Let me know if I can help.

~Natasha

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatch a week ago, and I too am experiencing the loud whining noise from the engine. I'll be taking it in this weekend to the dealership to see what they say.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I just got my 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatch a week ago, and I too am experiencing the loud whining noise from the engine. I'll be taking it in this weekend to the dealership to see what they say.
Hi badgerfone,

Congratulations on the Focus and [welcome] to the forum!

Definitely visit the local Ford dealer to have this issue addressed. If you like, I can arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. In order to do so, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Have a great evening!

Noemi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Noemi!

I should already be meeting with my Galpin Ford Rep this weekend, we'll be going for a ride to diagnose the issue and probably bring it into the service shop, so I think I should be set for now, but if another visit is required I'll definitely PM to set up another appointment. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update. Service center contacted Ford, who claims the whine noise is also part of the break-in process of the transmission. Must drive it for another 1,000 miles. I'll have to update again once I hit 1,500.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Update. Service center contacted Ford, who claims the whine noise is also part of the break-in process of the transmission. Must drive it for another 1,000 miles. I'll have to update again once I hit 1,500.
Hi badgerfone,

Thanks for the update!

Don’t hesitate to contact me once the 1500 mile mark is reached; I will be interested in knowing how the Focus is [driving].

Take care. [:)]

Noemi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update. I eventually received a letter from Ford claiming there is a recall on my specific model regarding issues with the powershift transmission, anti-lock-brakes and various shifting control from the computer. Brought it in today for service, will see how this affects the previous issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
recall fixed some rollback issues and stuttering, grinding and whining still present at 2,500 miles. bringing it in tomorrow morning for service.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts