Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My mum purchased a 2012 focus and has done about 27000Ks on it. Since about 24000Ks she has had an issue with her brake pads and disc as well from what the service centre has said so we have had the front ones replaced and the rear ones will be repalced at the next service as they are not as bad.

However I feel that this should be a warranty claim, which ford is denying vigorously as expected, claiming consumables.
In my oppinion given the car wasnt driven harshly the brake pads and disc should last much longer, or atleast the disc if not the pads and feel that ford has either used the wrong, softer pads or had a faulty batch.

Wanted to get your oppinion on the typical lifetime of a new vehicles brake pads and disc and what you would expect a standard user to get out of it.

Any tips on getting ford to accept fault in this case would also be much appreciated as ive already taken it up with their head office, who called the service centre and advised me its not covered as its classed as a consumable.

Thanks,
Parsh

·
Registered
609 Posts
First off welcome to Focus Fanatics.

When I bought my 06 Focus ZXW a couple months back I went to a local dealership to get the service history for it. I found that the front brake pads were first replaced 9 months after it was purchased (Car purchased June 4th, 2006 front pads replaced April 3, 2007) at 14950 miles / 24000 km, so right at the same point your moms 2012 was at when the front brakes were replaced.

As far as getting a dealership to cover it, probably not as brake pads are consumable items, but things are different here in the US than it is down in Australia, so most of the FF forum members can't really say how things work down there.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome!

I'll move this to the Brakes, Suspension & Chassis area where you can search for similar threads & get more responses.

We don't know the issue you ran into in particular, so it's hard to comment.

I can remember a thread where an owner at similar mileage was worried about what seemed to be excessive grooving, particularly at the rear. Service would have been happy to renew them, but after a closer look at the actual wear he left them alone & got three times the mileage out of them before finally deciding on replacement.

Low mileage use can result in early replacement being needed as well in a couple of ways. Each time used after sitting there's a little more wear than usual as corrosion is scrubbed off the rotors by the pads. Sometimes this process isn't complete, and continued corrosion starts resulting in bands on the rotor where the pad doesn't contact at all since it's rusting away faster than the rest of the clean section wears.

Just a few scenarios, separate from the other possibility of their not being all that worn. We've seen replacement recommended often any time wear approaches half the original pad thickness - that's often considered "worn out" for the purpose of recommended maint..

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts