Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Ford Focus with the transmission problem they have had. It now needs replaced. I was going to buy a used car but my Focus is well maintained with new brakes and tires. 95,000 miles. I am thinking it would be cheaper to get a new transmission than a used car. Is it a bad idea to replace the transmission? I also am worried they will put another bad transmission in. I would love some feedback. The transmission would be $5600 with a 3 year warranty is all. Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 SE, 2014 SE
23 Posts
I have a 2012 Ford Focus with the transmission problem they have had. It now needs replaced. I was going to buy a used car but my Focus is well maintained with new brakes and tires. 95,000 miles. I am thinking it would be cheaper to get a new transmission than a used car. Is it a bad idea to replace the transmission? I also am worried they will put another bad transmission in. I would love some feedback. The transmission would be $5600 with a 3 year warranty is all. Thanks.
Ford has issued at least 2 TSBs on this issue. Was that repair quote from the dealer? If it was a private shop, they should have referred you to the TSBs and the dealer (my shop did). I would try the dealer/TSB approach first. If the dealer claims the issue is not covered by a TSB, call Ford Customer Service and raise your concerns directly with them about the well-documented unreliability of this transmission, and they should be able to help. This is what happened to me and I got a $3800 repair bill reduced to $1350. I just checked my records and one of the two TSBs is only for later models, but 14M02 is applicable to your car. Definitely check that out first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the pricing from the dealer. I don't know what a TSB is. I am not going to fix the transmission. It is out of warranty. They will only warranty the new one two years. I have syncro bearings going out. I do not think that was part of the 2012 transmission recall. I am never buying Ford again. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2008 SE, 2014 SE
23 Posts
TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. I added the link in my original post. I totally understand your frustration and have been there myself. What did the dealer say was wrong with the transmission? These transmissions are known bad and Ford has agreed to fix many of the major defects at no cost to you. It would be worth asking your dealer about the TSB I included in my original post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts