Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need to replace the timing cover on my girlfriends 2012 Focus SE. Can I simply unbolt the harmonic balance and accessories, replace cover and then reinstall the balancer and accessories?

Reason I ask is I see that a special timing pin (OTC 303-307) is needed to set motor at TDC when doing a timing belt swap but if I dont rotate the crank when changing the cover, do I need to follow that procedure?

Thanks for any help, hopefully it is an easy swap and not a extensive process.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
2012? *confused*

The 2012 has a timing chain and, if I recall correctly, the Focus has had timing chains since like 2005.

Well, whatever you're fixing, I don't think you need any special pins if you're only removing the cover and not removing the belt/chain itself.

If you don't mind me asking - why are you replacing it? If it is a 2012, I'm assuming it's no longer under the 60k mileage powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the mounting ears for the motor mount is cracked so i am replacing the cover. She got in an accident a year or so ago so I assume it cracked then and finally let go.

Yes, car just rolled over 60k so no more warranty.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You need the timing tools if you even think about loosening the balancer bolt, the crank timing sprocket is not keyed to the crank, it relies on the Bilt being right (and diamond encrusted washers) to keep everything timed....Ford even says the timing needs to be reset it the car is in a collision

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, ill order the OTC timing pin. So basically I just need to set to TDC with pin, remove balancer, swap timing cover and then reassemble with new balancer bolt/washer?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not positive on 2012 details, you should check with details from a manual.

Cams & crank likely need to be locked with special tools, and there may be an alignment tool for the balancer as well since I think it's used for electrical timing (sensor there as well as cams for spark/injection timing).

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Nor am I positive on the later engines but known crank timing is worthless without known cam timing as well, the two are locked together. Need some way to guarantee the cam timing there too.

Can't imagine why they do that other than the usual conspiracy theory of them doing it to force many to go back to the dealer for lack of knowledge. Maybe not cutting keyways saves them 5 million in machining costs as well. As to the statement that Ford recommemnds the timing be checked after accident, well that goes with everything else they do after one, or soak up every penny they can in accident repair work or recommend so many things as 'required' that the car no longer is economically viable, i.e. 'we still sell new cars' (hint, hint).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Guarantee u the cams will move they are under spring tension and don't stay unless they are in a neutral position and usually will move if you loosen the crank pulley bolt. Massive sells a really nice kit with the cam bar, and duratec and zetec pins. Dont chance not using both the cam bar and crank pin.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Before you start, I would ask the insurance company that paid to fix the car originally. If you can prove it was a result from the accident, they should cover it for a certain time after you first filed the claim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts