Focus Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 160 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quick update, despite my earlier positive attitude that things were getting fixed I just got off the phone with the dealer. Ford Engineering says my production date had already been fixed and my steering rack should not have an issue. OK....great, then why does my car weave gently back and forth on the highway? Back to visit the dealer (and my car) tomorrow but I'm already mentally prepared to drive it off and trade it in on a new Honda.

-jerry
They are full of it. I drove another Focus that was built in October that had the steering rack issue straight from the factory, so clearly they are still putting these things out with bad racks. In fact, when the replacement rack was ordered, it was on backorder until January. Dealer put an emergency order in and then they sent one of the old part number racks. I think they are in process of switching suppliers or rack design.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quick update, despite my earlier positive attitude that things were getting fixed I just got off the phone with the dealer. Ford Engineering says my production date had already been fixed and my steering rack should not have an issue. OK....great, then why does my car weave gently back and forth on the highway? Back to visit the dealer (and my car) tomorrow but I'm already mentally prepared to drive it off and trade it in on a new Honda.

-jerry
Did Ford Customer Service call you? I was afraid I was going to get the response you got. I think the Ford servicer Customer service talked to, over rode that build date in the TSB. Natasha why are servicers still locked into this build date. There are a few customers seeing the same issue after that August 12th build date. Why not spend a few dollars to save a 16k+ sale?

Working on the service side for a large consumer electronics company. I understand ASC have autonomy. I know that when a customer complains the corporate office can force a ASC to do the repair or find and ASC that will. Losing warranty work seems like a big threat. Such easy money for the servicer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No, Ford has not called me but Natasha has kindly offered in the past to help both publicly and privately. I respectfully declined so we could let the normal service process play out first without factory intervention. I have not given up, everyone has been genuinely helpful and sympathetic at the dealership but at the end of the day it has to be fixed. The other common 2012 Focus quirks and annoyances I can live with but not the steering issue. Will keep you all posted and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Natasha why are servicers still locked into this build date. There are a few customers seeing the same issue after that August 12th build date.
I can't speculate on the engineering processes to determine which vehicles/build dates qualify, but rest assured, all questions such as this are thoroughly researched.

No, Ford has not called me but Natasha has kindly offered in the past to help both publicly and privately. I respectfully declined so we could let the normal service process play out first without factory intervention.
My offer still stands. [:)] Just shoot me a PM if you would like me to assist.

~Natasha

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Appreciate the kind offer again Natasha. If things don't end up well come the end of the week I will take you up on this :)
Anytime! Have a great afternoon. [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
5 Posts
2012 Focus Titanium Steering problem

I had the same steering problem described by other 2012 Focus owners on this site. The manufacture date of my Focus Titanium Hatchback was August 2, 2011. It has 17 inch wheels. The TSB (which is on the Ford computer system) dated 2011-09-08 addressed the steering issue on 2012 Focus cars built on or before August 1, 2011. I took the car to the dealer and after showing them the TSB they agreed to do the recommended repair "under warranty" not under the TSB. I did some checking and found that my car was manufactured with Steering Gear BV6Z-3504-CE (often referred to as the steering rack) which according to the TSB is for cars with 18 inch wheels. The TSB states that Steering Gear BV6Z-3504-DE is the proper one for a Focus without 18 inch wheels. I brought this decrepancy to the attention of the dealership's service advisor who verified with Ford Motor Co. that a Focus without 18 inch wheels takes Steering Gear BV6Z-3504-DE. The service advisor said that they would install the 3504-DE in my car as per the TSB. It took the technician 5 hours to replace the rack and do a wheel alignment. I took the car for a two hour drive on a divided highway running at about 110 Kilometers per hour (66 MPH). The steering worked perfectly. The car did not wander in the lane and the steering was free not stiff as before. The car is a pleasure to drive and the safety issue no longer exits. The wrong steering rack was installed at the factory. Your Ford dealer can go on the Ford in-house computer site (HVBOM) to determine which rack is installed in your car. I hope this helps others who have this same problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2012 Focus Titanium - vent trim ring glare in door mirrors

After purchasing my 2012 Focus Titanium, I noticed that there was a constant glare in the door mirrors which was coming from the silver trim ring around the vents in the dash close to each door. These vents are at the same height as the door mirrors. I thought at first it was just glare from the sun but soon realized the glare was there even on cloudy days. I fixed the problem by removing the vents and replacing them with vents from a Focus SE model. These vents do not have the silver trim ring thus no glare. The vents are the same colour as the other vents but without the silver ring so they blend in with the dash. The other vents in the centre of the dash do not have silver trim rings so it is a mystery why Ford installed the silver trim rings on the vents closest to the doors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your post was very informative. Question - how do I determine which steering gear is in my car? It is a Hatchback Titanium produced in April 2011. Looking forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your Ford dealer can go on the Ford in-house computer site called HVBOM to determine which steering gear (or any other part for that matter) was installed in your car at the factory. According to the TSB it would either be part number BV6Z-3504-CE OR BV6Z-3504-DE. The TSB states that a 2012 Focus that came with 18 inch wheels should have a BV6Z-3504-CE and without 18 inch wheels, i.e. 16 or 17 inch, it should have a BV6Z-3504-DE. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I had the same steering problem described by other 2012 Focus owners on this site. It took the technician 5 hours to replace the rack and do a wheel alignment. I took the car for a two hour drive on a divided highway running at about 110 Kilometers per hour (66 MPH). The steering worked perfectly. The car did not wander in the lane and the steering was free not stiff as before. The car is a pleasure to drive and the safety issue no longer exits.
Hi Focus 2012,

Excellent! Glad to learn your Focus is a pleasure to drive around.
Have a PROSPEROUS New Year!

Your post was very informative. Question - how do I determine which steering gear is in my car? It is a Hatchback Titanium produced in April 2011. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Hi Cbaldree,

As Focus 2012 stated, the local Ford dealer will be able to determine the parts used in your Focus. So head on over if the steering is a concern for you. Please keep us posted on the results.

You also have a GREAT New Year!

Noemi

·
Registered
30 Posts
looking for full email address for Natasha...moderator

looking for accurate email address for natasha...having problems with my brand new 5 door, and want to have the correct address in case dealer does not respond

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
looking for accurate email address for natasha...having problems with my brand new 5 door, and want to have the correct address in case dealer does not respond
natasha..can i have an accurate email address for you....yahoo says the one listed is not a valid email
Hi Dcamfam,

Welcome to the Forum!

No need to use an outside email address to contact me. You can PM myself and Natasha via the Focus Fanatics forum. Hope to hear from you soon.

Noemi

·
Banned
65 Posts
So finally got in to my local dealer with my list of issues. It seems they were able to fix the headliner problem, I'll know for sure after the car sits outside in the cold air for a couple of days. They acknowledged the issue with excessive wind noise (whistling) coming off the side mirrors, but said they had not gotten any info from Ford engineering on the recommended fix as of yet. And they ARE replacing my steering rack, which is unfortunately on back order.

I'm pumped that the car is now quiet on the inside, can't wait for it to be quiet on the outside, and am ecstatic that it might finally feel as good on the highway as it does on the back roads. Will update with results. I'm just worried about the implications of such a major repair so early in the car's life. I was planning on keeping this for quite a while, but now my radar is up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Finally problems resolved!

Update on my 2012 highway steering issues and erratic transmission.

After 2 attempts and over 20 days in the shop out of the first 3 months all issues are fixed. Frankly the dealer spent way too much time trying to explain all was normal, let it break in, and other nonsense instead of addressing the issues.

The service manager finally was able to reproduce the highway oscillations and once it got going he was shocked at how annoying/prominent it was. With that they finally took things seriously and got on the horn with Ford HQ.

Steering resolution: As others have reported it required a new complete electric steering assy. Car is now rock solid on the highway and a joy to drive.

Transmission: Implimented all the TSB software updates (duh!) and now it pretty much shifts like a dream. Shifts are now crisp, smooth and the transmission does not get "lost" like it used to.

Now I'm a happy owner and the Car is a true pleasure to drive. My words of advice for Ford is simply to stop with the excuses, let it break in, it's "learning" your driving habits nonsense. There are TSB's for most of the issues users are complaining about and simply addressing the problems when presented would keep us out of these forums looking for help.

Thanks to everyone here for your feedback, information and of course the Ford reps that have truly been helpfull.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Update on my 2012 highway steering issues and erratic transmission.
After 2 attempts and over 20 days in the shop out of the first 3 months all issues are fixed. Frankly the dealer spent way too much time trying to explain all was normal, let it break in, and other nonsense instead of addressing the issues.
Now I'm a happy owner and the Car is a true pleasure to drive. My words of advice for Ford is simply to stop with the excuses, let it break in, it's "learning" your driving habits nonsense. There are TSB's for most of the issues users are complaining about and simply addressing the problems when presented would keep us out of these forums looking for help.
Thanks to everyone here for your feedback, information and of course the Ford reps that have truly been helpfull.
Hi jjessop,

Thanks for the update. Always happy to hear a Focus owner is driving around town happily. If you need any further assistance (hopefully not [:)]) in the future, give us a shout out.

Take care!

Noemi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad you finally got the steering problem fixed and thanks for the tip about the TSB regarding updates for the transmission. I will look into that when I get back from Florida in May. I agree with your observations regarding Ford Service not knowing the problems with new Ford vehicles. They simply have to go on their HVBOM and they could access all the problems with a particular vehicle. The time they spend telling customers there is nothing wrong with their vehicle costs the dealerships money and the customer frustration and lost time going back and forth to the dealership. I don't understand their thinking or perhaps non-thinking is a better description. Take care.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So I made an extended trip today...

At first, I wrote off the the slight issues that i'm having as me just needing to get used to the new steering wheel. But the issues persisted. Then i found these threads, and I saw that the TSB pointed to cars built on/before aug.1 (mine was sep 14), so i chalked it off as just me tripping and giving it another chance.

Today, after 3200 miles and driving 120miles on the highway, the steering was becoming quite aggravating. I was straight up pissed off at the car. Came back on here and checked that people with cars past the tsb date have to problem too.

Any tips on how i should bring this issue up with my dealer w/o them giving me the go-around?

·
Registered
431 Posts
So I made an extended trip today...

At first, I wrote off the the slight issues that i'm having as me just needing to get used to the new steering wheel. But the issues persisted. Then i found these threads, and I saw that the TSB pointed to cars built on/before aug.1 (mine was sep 14), so i chalked it off as just me tripping and giving it another chance.

Today, after 3200 miles and driving 120miles on the highway, the steering was becoming quite aggravating. I was straight up pissed off at the car. Came back on here and checked that people with cars past the tsb date have to problem too.

Any tips on how i should bring this issue up with my dealer w/o them giving me the go-around?
Print out a copy of the TSB. Take the service manager for a drive (let him drive) to demonstrate the problem. Once he agrees there is a problem, give him a copy of the TSB.

141 - 160 of 374 Posts