Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Fordswede what was the MFG date on your Focus? I'm balking on Natasha offer to contact my dealer. This is because my dealer already pawn the issue off since my MFG date was after 8/1/2011. The date the TSB covers.
I responded to your PM explaining the best possible way to assist. If you prefer to wait and see if it has stopped wandering, that's perfectly fine, but I am here if you need me. [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
18 Posts
Help

Hello drvudoo & texas75218,

The perfect first step is to visit your local dealer so they can inspect your Focus. If they are unable to resolve your steering concerns, please let me know so I can assist.

Hi RyanD,

Please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can see if your part can be expedited.

I'm glad you are posting about your great experience, jmczaja! [:)] Thanks!

~Natasha
So the dealer and us have been waiting for almost a month now for the parts to arrive so the steering issue can be fixed. Is there something about Texas that Ford cannot deliver the parts in a month that other dealers outside of Texas can get in a week?

·
Banned
65 Posts
I too am experiencing the wandering issue and have my service appointment set for this coming Saturday. I'm hoping they will be able to resolve the noise coming from the mirror as well.

p.s. Did anyone see the very small article regarding the issue in this past weekend's NY Times? They said Ford was replacing the "steering gear."

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
So the dealer and us have been waiting for almost a month now for the parts to arrive so the steering issue can be fixed. Is there something about Texas that Ford cannot deliver the parts in a month that other dealers outside of Texas can get in a week?
PM me your info (VIN, contact name/number, mileage, & servicing dealer) so I can determine why this is occurring, and see if anything can be done to expedite the part. Talk to you soon!

I too am experiencing the wandering issue and have my service appointment set for this coming Saturday. I'm hoping they will be able to resolve the noise coming from the mirror as well.
Hi wsdmskr825,

It's beneficial you scheduled an appointment for your Focus. Please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will assist. Thanks!

~Natasha

·
Registered
1 Posts
mmmoose, thank you for your response offering me a driving lesson by explaining the difference between electronic assist and hydraulic power steering; as if I understood how electronic assist worked, then there would not be a problem with the steering. Obviously, I need to explain in more detail. As I said in my first attempt to explain the problem, it is not when the car reaches 60 to 65 mph (if that was the case, I could understand what was going on), but after some distance at that speed. I wonder (I am guessing) if when the car senses no activity, such as on a straight-a-way where there is no correction going on to keep the car straight, then maybe the electronic assist shuts down to save on power for better gas mileage. Now, that's when the steering gets stiff. So when you need to correct it to stay centered in the lane, it takes more pressure to turn the steering wheel, then for an instant, the electronic assist kicks in, the steering loosens up, and the car darts in the direction you were correcting it to go. Then it stiffens up right away, so when you correct it back, the process repeats. So I find myself zig-zagging down the lane. Now I find that if I move the steering wheel back and forth rapidly for a few times (not swerving the car, just shaking the steering wheel left-to-right slightly) I can make the car stop acting up and it will drive fine...sometimes for a long distance, sometimes for a short distance. It's like I have to wake up the steering so it will respond normally without jerking when you try to correct it. I hope this is a better explanation of what's going on with the steering.
I have the steering problem also and see it as a major safety issue. Just drove from CA to MN and was exhausted keeping it on the road. When the snow flies, I doubt it will stay on the road. I dread driving back and then arguing with the dealer thinking I am another one of those dumb customers imagining things! And I had really looked forward to the trip in my brand new car..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank goodness I Googled this issue and found these forums. Picked up a 2012 for the Wife last weekend and we just came back from a 200 mile road trip. At times the car would just oscillate back and forth in lane as you could never keep it straight, there was a dead zone and then it would simply kick in and over correct. I thought I was loosing my mind........

I'll take it back to the dealer shortly. It's so bad at times I worry for my Wife's safety. Other than this bizarre issue it's a gem.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Just drove from CA to MN and was exhausted keeping it on the road. When the snow flies, I doubt it will stay on the road.
At times the car would just oscillate back and forth in lane as you could never keep it straight, there was a dead zone and then it would simply kick in and over correct.
Hey red rooster & jjessop,

The dealer is the perfect first step in resolving your steering issues. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help. Talk to you both soon!

~Natasha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I must admit when I searched for this problem on Google I didn't expect to find a forum describing exactly the same problem we are having with our 1 week old Focus. It's a great car....until you take it on the highway; it's impossible to drive straight! You try to make a minute change in your direction, the wheel doesn't turn....add a little more pressure the wheel turns like it has notches and so begins the zigzag. We will definitely be taking this back to the dealer for service....I just pray they have been made aware of the problem and know the fix. Thanks everyone for posting your experiences.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I didn't expect to find a forum describing exactly the same problem we are having with our 1 week old Focus. It's a great car....until you take it on the highway; it's impossible to drive straight! You try to make a minute change in your direction, the wheel doesn't turn....add a little more pressure the wheel turns like it has notches and so begins the zigzag.
Hi TrueNorth,

Welcome to the forum! Your dealer will be able to accurately diagnose your Focus, so there's no need to worry. You are welcome to contact Ford of Canada at 1.800.565.3673 to discuss your concerns as well.

~Natasha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi TrueNorth,

Welcome to the forum! Your dealer will be able to accurately diagnose your Focus, so there's no need to worry. You are welcome to contact Ford of Canada at 1.800.565.3673 to discuss your concerns as well.

~Natasha
Thank you very much Natasha. It's refreshing to see the manufacturer's supportive presence on the forum. Does Ford Canada contribute here in any way?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thank you very much Natasha. It's refreshing to see the manufacturer's supportive presence on the forum. Does Ford Canada contribute here in any way?
My pleasure. [:)] Ford of Canada doesn't participate on forums at this time, but they are on Twitter as @FordCanada. If concerns aren't resolved by calling into the Customer Relationship Centre, I can also work with my contact there to help.

~Natasha

·
FF Affiliate
30,149 Posts

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
steering probblem

[drinking][clap][wrenchin] I would Like to Thank Natasha and also Nathan at Ford Customer service for helping me get the ball rolling. To enlighten everyone about my daughters 2012 focus look back to page 3 of this problem. Same problem as everyone else is having. with a little help from Natasha and Nate we were able to fix this problem. I should have said all of this 2 months ago. The car sat at the dealership for over 2 weeks back in August, Nate called me and said it would be another 2 weeks for the rack to ship( I said WTF ) I later figured out that ford will not ship parts right off the line cuz First they have to document the problem , Do studies, check part numbers , All to see if the parts they need to fix all came from the same Supplier or even the same batch. with that said . Car is fixed and runs great
and when all of you get your car back... ask ford what they can do for me. we got an extended warrenty 5 year 75,000 mile warrenty for free. So thanks again Ford People. This is what makes America Great. ( PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE )[burnout]

·
Registered
18 Posts
nuts

[drinking][clap][wrenchin] I would Like to Thank Natasha and also Nathan at Ford Customer service for helping me get the ball rolling. To enlighten everyone about my daughters 2012 focus look back to page 3 of this problem. Same problem as everyone else is having. with a little help from Natasha and Nate we were able to fix this problem. I should have said all of this 2 months ago. The car sat at the dealership for over 2 weeks back in August, Nate called me and said it would be another 2 weeks for the rack to ship( I said WTF ) I later figured out that ford will not ship parts right off the line cuz First they have to document the problem , Do studies, check part numbers , All to see if the parts they need to fix all came from the same Supplier or even the same batch. with that said . Car is fixed and runs great
and when all of you get your car back... ask ford what they can do for me. we got an extended warrenty 5 year 75,000 mile warrenty for free. So thanks again Ford People. This is what makes America Great. ( PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE )[burnout]
We have been waiting over a month for the parts. The dealer has everything but some nuts. Said ford says they are on backorder until end of November. Larger dealers in Texas have the nuts but are hording them and will not let our dealer have them. As of now we have no one from Ford who will expedite the nuts that are available to others. I wish we had someone who could help us but at this time no one will. If the dealer gets the nuts when ford says they will it would have been over 2 months with this steering problem.
As a 3rd gen loyal Ford buyers family this greatly sadens me.
Its not like we are talking about a loose headliner. Other then Brakes the steering is the next most important safety item. Why the Ford customer service people on this forum help some but not others is a puzzle.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
[drinking][clap][wrenchin] I would Like to Thank Natasha and also Nathan at Ford Customer service for helping me get the ball rolling....So thanks again Ford People. This is what makes America Great. ( PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE )[burnout]
Thank you so much! Helping resolve your issue was my pleasure. [:)]

We have been waiting over a month for the parts. The dealer has everything but some nuts. Said ford says they are on backorder until end of November. Larger dealers in Texas have the nuts but are hording them and will not let our dealer have them. Why the Ford customer service people on this forum help some but not others is a puzzle.
Hi texas75218,

I just responded to your PM, but I'm still waiting on either your VIN or complete address so I can try to look it up that way. I'm unable to proceed further without that information. If you prefer not to send me the details, you are welcome to call our Customer Relationship Center at 800.392.3673.

Thanks for your long-term support!

~Natasha

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nuts

Thank you so much! Helping resolve your issue was my pleasure. [:)]

Hi texas75218,

I just responded to your PM, but I'm still waiting on either your VIN or complete address so I can try to look it up that way. I'm unable to proceed further without that information. If you prefer not to send me the details, you are welcome to call our Customer Relationship Center at 800.392.3673.

Thanks for your long-term support!

~Natasha
We have called the CRC and they will not even acknowlege a steering issue exists with the 2012 Focus. You have the name of the dealer, our name, phone number. Its a small dealer and we are the only ones with a focus waiting for parts. They have all the parts but the nuts. It's sad that you cannot take 5 mins of your day to call them. I am not sure why you need our address. You act as though you have a hidden agenda. If I give you our address can you get them the parts? Why wont you call the dealer? You say you can not help us without the information. It looks like you will not help us.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for finally explaining that due to privacy issues the dealer can not give you the information. Was it that hard to explain? Thanks also for explaining that you cannot expedite the parts(nuts). Since there is nothing you can do for us on getting the parts (we only need the nuts) I see no reason to give you our address.

·
Registered
8 Posts
[lockdance] Dear Texas 75218 I asum you live in texas ..... I dont know the lemon laws of that state but here in Wisconsin ( GO PAC GO ) HAHAHA the lemon law states 30 days of down time for the same probblem and Ford gets it back ... no questions asked. ford told me back ordered that long too and I told them that the days were ticking . and you know what the parts were at the dealership the NEXT DAY I [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] you not... thats when I told Ford that they need to do more for Inconviencing us . and got the extended warrenty bumper to bumper[bootyshak

·
Registered
18 Posts
Customer Service

[lockdance] Dear Texas 75218 I asum you live in texas ..... I dont know the lemon laws of that state but here in Wisconsin ( GO PAC GO ) HAHAHA the lemon law states 30 days of down time for the same probblem and Ford gets it back ... no questions asked. ford told me back ordered that long too and I told them that the days were ticking . and you know what the parts were at the dealership the NEXT DAY I [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] you not... thats when I told Ford that they need to do more for Inconviencing us . and got the extended warrenty bumper to bumper[bootyshak
You would think they would at least apologize for having such a poor quality inspection process that would allow unsafe vehicles to be sold and put on the streets. As someone who has worked in customer service for years here is how I would have preferred my experience to have gone.
Ford customer service : We are sorry for endangering you and your family member’s lives. You say the dealer only needs the nuts in order to repair your Brand New Ford Focus and that you have been waiting over a month for them. I will find them and have them shipped over night if I can't then we will provide a free rental car while you wait for your Brand New Ford Focus to be repaired. We are sorry for the inconvenience that our lack of caring about what kind of product we produce has caused you and we will strive to do better in the future. We appreciate you being a 3rd generation loyal Ford customer we hope that our quick response to your issue will keep your business in the future.

81 - 100 of 371 Posts