Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
FORD customer service says no know issue. Said we would have to pay for repairing a non acknowleged issue. Called dealership and they are not aware of any issue with the 2012 focus. We have had the car less than 24 hours. Going to see if dealership will take car back before we get KILLED on the freeway trying to keep it in the lane.
Hey texas75218,

Ford won't take the car back as they say there is not a issue, Have they even driven the car yet? Some dealerships like to say there are no issues when the only thing they have done is Sun test it in the parking lot. Open the drivers side door and look for the vehicle tag and see what the build date was. If it falls on or before the date of the TSB then print that out and take it with you to the dealership.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Montana

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I'm having the same issue.Really scary, because it happens at highway cruising speed. I see it happening when the freeway bends and you have to make small turns. It gives me the same sensation as if the car was hydro planing.
Today on the freeway we noticed the steering wanting to zig zag( as mentioned) It makes you have to correct steering by zig zaging in the lane and does not allow for slight steering corrections.
Hello drvudoo & texas75218,

The perfect first step is to visit your local dealer so they can inspect your Focus. If they are unable to resolve your steering concerns, please let me know so I can assist.

Just to add to the fury. Just over two weeks old, 500 miles, constant rubbing in the steering started, standstill and all speeds. Turn the wheel, rubbbbbbbbbbb. Dealer had it 3 days and tells me that an unspecified part is special ordered and should be here by November, lol.
Hi RyanD,

Please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can see if your part can be expedited.

I'm happy to report my problems were fixed by replacing the entire steering rack assembly! My car now steers as it should and no more zig zagging on the highway/sore hands. Thanks for everyones help in this thread...
I'm glad you are posting about your great experience, jmczaja! [:)] Thanks!

~Natasha

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just came back from my servicer. The info I received was if the car was made before 8/1. My car was made 8/26. Was this issue resolved at the factory after 8/1? The service manager said he would call the tech line and see what can be done.

Ken, the service manager at Fuller Ford in Chula Vista, CA. Drove the car with me in it. He recognize what I was experiencing. The initial diagnoses was NPF and I was quoted by the service advisor there were no service bulletins for this issue.

Thanks davedcc2012 for the info on the TSB.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
The service manager said he would call the tech line and see what can be done.
Hi drvudoo,

I'm glad the service manager is working to resolve your issue. If they are unsuccessful, please let me know so I can help get it back on the road for you.

~Natasha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ford Focus 2011 steering problem

My 2011 Focus Tatanium had the steering problem described in several posts: a tight steering spot in central position occuring at highway speed (>120 km/h) after 10-15 minutes driving, resulting in uncomfortable zigzag driving. Once passing a bridge pylon in a heavy side wind it almost resulted in an over-correction disaster. The Ford dealership here in Denmark test drove the car and immediately acknowledged the problem. They tried unsuccesfully to update the power stering software after which they replaced the entire steering rack. All with no discussions at all. The part which included the whole power steering assembly arrived in less than a week and the replacement was put in place in one day. Now the car is a complete new experience. Drives absolutely beautifull with great speed dependent regulation of the power steering effect.
Please don't accept any stories that this is an electronic power steering effect that should be expected and accepted. It is not! It is an error occuring on some new Focus. And it should be replaced. Great thanks to Ford for a responsible and prompt response. Great service!!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
The Ford dealership here in Denmark test drove the car and immediately acknowledged the problem. They tried unsuccesfully to update the power stering software after which they replaced the entire steering rack. All with no discussions at all. The part which included the whole power steering assembly arrived in less than a week and the replacement was put in place in one day.
Hello Erikkehn,

Thank you for finding this forum to post your wonderful feedback; it is truly appreciated! [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome.... I've had my new focus for 2 week now and everything was fantastic.... until I decided hop onto the highway last week and the car started to wander back and forth when I got up to speed. I'm a very good highway driver, I drive for a living, so I was not pleased when my Ford Dealer phoned me today and told me the car I dropped off was perfectly fine and I should try to get used to the steering.... now I'm not sure what I should do because this is my very first new car and I love it to bits other than this moderately unsafe Highway behavior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Focus steering problem

Please don't accept any explanation that this is a problem you have to get used to. Any unsafe highway driving behavior is unacceptable, even if it is in your word "moderate" This is a fine and great engineered car which should never exhibit any unsafe behavior. As mentioned in my previous post, I had exactly the same problem. Ford test drove it and compared it with other Focus they had in stock. They acknowledged the problem right away and fixed it promptly under the warranty.
I bet Ford will have to make a recall sooner or later on certain serial numbers. However, please don't wait for that. You deserve the best car and you can get it. Don't wait for an accident to happen. So back to the dealership and ask them to test the car under the right circumstances (130 km/h for more than 10-15 minutes) or call Ford headquarters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2012 focus steering

I just picked up my new Ford Focus SE yesterday and when I took it for a freeway drive I got really concerned about the steering and handling at speeds over 65 mile per hour.

At lower speeds, the car handles well but at this speed it really Zig Zags and requires constant adjustment.

Can this be corrected????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello,

You described the steering "locking up" on your Focus. I expereinced the same thing, a power steering control failure that shut down the power steering. The car is at a dealer currently. The technician verified that the PSCM failed("failure code 3000" I believe) but hasn't been able to tell me why it happened. I can't trust driving this car again until the source of the problem has been identified.

Did you ever find out what caused the power steering failure on your daiughter's vehivcle? Perhaps it is the same issue I am experiencing.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Awesome.... I've had my new focus for 2 week now and everything was fantastic.... until I decided hop onto the highway last week and the car started to wander back and forth when I got up to speed.
Hi Vaylance,

Have you contacted Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre? If not, you can reach them at 1.800.565.3673 so they can assist. If you have already spoken with them, please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will help.

I just picked up my new Ford Focus SE yesterday and when I took it for a freeway drive I got really concerned about the steering and handling at speeds over 65 mile per hour.
Hello,

I expereinced the same thing, a power steering control failure that shut down the power steering. The car is at a dealer currently. The technician verified that the PSCM failed("failure code 3000" I believe) but hasn't been able to tell me why it happened.
fordswede & NYCZPlan - Please PM me your info (VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state) so I can address your concerns.

Thanks!

~Natasha

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi drvudoo,

I'm glad the service manager is working to resolve your issue. If they are unsuccessful, please let me know so I can help get it back on the road for you.

~Natasha
Natasha,

The servicer did the alignment. The steering did tighten no more over correction. The car still wanders. It doesn't wander all the time. Usually around 60-70mph either there is a quick lane correction due to construction or some other factors. I don't know what triggers the steering going squirrly. I drive in on I-15 in San Diego and there is a bit of construction. There are temp lanes has quick bends. Other than that the freeway is 90% concrete. I'm not sure if there are grooves or slab expansion gaps are throwing it off. I've driven this route for the last 6 years with my jetta, my aura, and my yukon. Never had this uneasiness. I like it to a passenger on a motorcycle leaning against me and I have to fight them to go straight or the direction I'm steering.

Here is the reply from my dealer after I told him that the story above.

Good morning Trung,
I test drove a couple of other 2012 Focuses and I feel that your's handles very similar to the rest of the units I drove since we talked last. All of those unit were also built after Aug.1 2011, this steering feel seems to be normal ride quality for the 2012 focus model line. If you would like to come down and go for another ride, we can compare the ride to another like model.
Ken

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ford Focus steering

I took my Focus to my dealer.
They called me yesterday and informed me that they have ordered a new Steering Rack Assembly and I am supposed to get it back Tuesday.

Thanks everyone for this thread because without it I would not known what to do.

Looking forward getting my car back to verify the solution.

Fordswede

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
The servicer did the alignment. The steering did tighten no more over correction. The car still wanders. It doesn't wander all the time.
Thanks for the follow-up. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help.

I took my Focus to my dealer.
They called me yesterday and informed me that they have ordered a new Steering Rack Assembly and I am supposed to get it back Tuesday.
@fordswede - I responded to your PM, but please keep me updated after you pick up your Focus.

~Natasha

·
Registered
4 Posts
2012 Ford Focus Steering problem

I just want to inform everyone that my problem with the steering is resolved.

Just a quick recoup what my problem was.

When driving on th efreeway with a speed in excess of 60 miles per hour the steering got stiff and it felt like I could not keep the car straight. Constantly had to use 2 hand to keep correcting the steering wheel.

I picked up my 20212 Fod focus 2 days ago from the dealer after they replaced the steering rack assembly and the car handles beutiful as you expect from a ford focus.

Without you guys out there providing feedback and responses I would have been lost and proberly thought this was a natural behaviour in a ford.

So for any ford focus driver experiencing similar problem, do not give up and have the steering rack assembly replaced. Natscha I am sure will assist if necessary.

FordSwede

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry cbaldree

I do not know the TSB number

My dealer diagnosed th eproblem and first said they needed to replace the controller but could not find the part number.
Then they called me and informed me that they was going to replace the Steering Rack Assembly as indicated by Erikkehn below in this thread.

Do not give up and show your delar these threads. I am sure they will give in.

FordSwede

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I just want to inform everyone that my problem with the steering is resolved.

So for any ford focus driver experiencing similar problem, do not give up and have the steering rack assembly replaced. Natscha I am sure will assist if necessary.
Thanks, fordswede! I appreciate the great feedback. [:)]

What was the TSB update number? I'm having the same problem.
I don't have access to provide TSB details, but keep working with your CSM and she may be able to help.

~Natasha

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fordswede what was the MFG date on your Focus? I'm balking on Natasha offer to contact my dealer. This is because my dealer already pawn the issue off since my MFG date was after 8/1/2011. The date the TSB covers.

61 - 80 of 374 Posts