Focus Fanatics Forum banner

361 - 371 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sad to say I have been hit with the Steering Assist fault error a couple times on startup. It goes away after a "reboot" but I really don't want to lose power steering while driving the icy, windy mountain highways of BC so I will be taking the car in to be diagnosed next week.

I also had the transmission issues that were finally resolved with a tranny replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked up one of these 2012 Ford Focus lemons about a year ago, and have nothing but issues. First numerous visits about the stuttering and stalling. But this one concerns me a little more. I was leaving my house to pick up my Grandson, when my steering froze and a "Steering Assist Failure" I tried to shut off the car and start again, but same issue. I ended up having to be towed into the dealer, only to find out it to cost me $2400.00 for a new steering Rack. I had the car back for 2 days and had an appointment to have the snow tires put on. Going back to the mechanic, they put the snows on , but could not balance the front tires, cause of something called a "Stabilizer" was gone. Another $1000.00 repair. My questions is, are the 2 related in any way? Was I just hosed by Ford again? And my big question is why are these cars allowed to remain on the road with so many safety issues. Im thankful the car died before I picked up my grandson and not when I was on the highway. Is Ford waiting for a death before they recall this steering issue?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Lemonjuice: I posted this before--I had 4 clutch packs & a TCM---my mechanic is diligent & told me that the cable --main--is very tight when you do the job--Taking the trans in & out stretches it & causes connection issues which can effect the loss of steering--Where I'm going is that this whole DCT issues should be warranted for longer than the 7 year 100,000 miles cause it causes other issues--- check that first before you drop $2500...GL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Sadly, we have already dropped the cash on the fix, since I work so far from work, I need the car. Public transit is 3 hours one way.
My car is currently at 145000km(86991 miles). I was told the warranty here in Canada was only good till 125000km.
I have also had the horn die and the re defroster no longer functions, both I can not afford to fix.
Sucks not being a car guy and having to rely on Ford mechanics. :(

Lemonjuice: I posted this before--I had 4 clutch packs & a TCM---my mechanic is diligent & told me that the cable --main--is very tight when you do the job--Taking the trans in & out stretches it & causes connection issues which can effect the loss of steering--Where I'm going is that this whole DCT issues should be warranted for longer than the 7 year 100,000 miles cause it causes other issues--- check that first before you drop $2500...GL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had the "Steering Assist Failure" happen and my wife almost lost control of the 2012 Focus. The car only has a little under 48000 miles on it! She turned the car off then turned it on again and the steering started working again. It's now at the dealer where we bought it. We bought the car new and paid for a 7 year 75000 mile Ford extended warranty. I'm worried that the technician will find "nothing wrong" so they can charge us the diagnostic fee and get out of replacing the steering rack!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a "warning" back in the spring when I had a "Steering Assist Failure" when I started the car. I thought I just put it in gear to fast. Stopped it and started and it was fine. Maybe it was a sign at the time something was going to happen.
With my DCT issue I even had a "mechanic" at Ford tell me I was not driving the clutch properly. I asked him how I was supposed to, but he could not explain anything to me.
Im convinced Ford has done this on purpose to get people to pay for a second steering rack. I have heard more and more people who have had this car that they have to replace that part when the mechanic says..."there is nothing we can do except replace it". It seems to convenient and considering the price of this part, I find it insane that something so important to safety is negected
But Ford takes no responsibility. Im glad my issue happened when I was alone and not with my grandson or other family in the car on the highway. How would Ford react to that.

Im so happy to hear your wife was able to get off the road safely.

Just had the "Steering Assist Failure" happen and my wife almost lost control of the 2012 Focus. The car only has a little under 48000 miles on it! She turned the car off then turned it on again and the steering started working again. It's now at the dealer where we bought it. We bought the car new and paid for a 7 year 75000 mile Ford extended warranty. I'm worried that the technician will find "nothing wrong" so they can charge us the diagnostic fee and get out of replacing the steering rack!

·
Registered
580 Posts
There will be a DTC in the unit. The dealership should be able to read it.

Curious to what she was doing when she almost lost control? Or is that an exaggeration? Unless she was going 30-40 MPH mid-turn the change in effort is barely perceptible, anything under 30 MPH and you can hit the brakes to stop safely.

My opinion, of course.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Im convinced Ford has done this on purpose to get people to pay for a second steering rack. I have heard more and more people who have had this car that they have to replace that part when the mechanic says..."there is nothing we can do except replace it". It seems to convenient and considering the price of this part, I find it insane that something so important to safety is neglected
I can assure you it's not on purpose. No engineer builds parts to fail, to suggest that is to me (an engineer) insulting.

But to your point about safety, it's not neglected. Manual steering is perfectly safe. You might not like it, it may suck to turn the wheel, but the car does turn and you can drive it.

What people call "unsafe" on internet forums is crazy. Comfort features are just that, for your comfort. Power steering is a comfort feature not a safety feature. Go look at FMVSS, there are no regulations on steering. None, zero, zippo, ziltch. Europe has ECE 79 which all Ford's meet as a regulatory concern. If you go read ECE 79 look at the manual test criteria, the Fords actually exceed that by a wide margin.

Of course these are my opinions, having 8 years of experience in power steering (on both the supplier and OEM sides). All of it on EPS units.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Sadly, we have already dropped the cash on the fix, since I work so far from work, I need the car. Public transit is 3 hours one way.
My car is currently at 145000km(86991 miles). I was told the warranty here in Canada was only good till 125000km.
I have also had the horn die and the re defroster no longer functions, both I can not afford to fix.
Sucks not being a car guy and having to rely on Ford mechanics. :(
Im in Airdrie Alberta and ford honoured my DCT warranty at 150 000km. Seems to be better but i can tell there is still some slipping every once in a while.
My horn also quit, been debating going aftermarket.....
242000km and still going

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can assure you it's not on purpose. No engineer builds parts to fail, to suggest that is to me (an engineer) insulting.
@MK3 ST
Can you please explain more detailed what exactly go faulty in that electro-motor of the power steering.
I am also an engineer and maybe me or others will understand and maybe there is a chance that such power steering racks can be repaired.

I am a happy owner of an 2011 Focus with this brand new steering fault.

Anyway, it is shame on Ford that it don't recognize the problem and make a recall.

361 - 371 of 371 Posts