Focus Fanatics Forum banner

301 - 320 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 Focus and there is a noticeable steering problem.... I am so disappointed! The car pulls left, then right and when I drive I am in constant correction mode. This is especially noticeable when on the highway but I can definitely feel it at slower speeds as well. I saw a news show with the Chairman of Ford saying that Ford is a great product... I guess I got duped. If I could return the car I would. Back to Honda and Hyundai for me.[bigcry][bigcry]
When I first bought my Focus, it had a problem with wandering on the highway. When I would be going around a curve, seemed I had to fight the steering wheel to keep it going in the direction I want. Seemed to me that what was happening was that the steering wheel was trying to "return to center" too aggressively. Here's a post I made a while ago. See if what I described is what you are experiencing.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291656&highlight=bad+steering

They didn't replace my steering rack, just some bolts and such. Haven't had a problem since. Coming up on 42k now on my Focus.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
They didn't replace my steering rack, just some bolts and such. Haven't had a problem since. Coming up on 42k now on my Focus.
My issue is more that I constantly have to correct/steer left and right. Like I try to bring it to the center (counter clockwise) and there's a little resistance and next think you know I'm actually going left (only by like a degree, maybe less?) and then I try to go right and the same thing happens in the other direction. Maybe I need to calibrate/zero my alignment or maybe it's just the EPAS, but I definitely can't drive without hands (not recommended anyway) for more than 2 or 3 seconds without leaving my lane.

hehe, the steering gear ( BV6Z3504KE) is your rack. [:p]

Also, damn! This steering gear is $1116 now with a $400 core deposit? I don't remember it being that expensive before... looks like if I ever fix it myself it'll be coming out of totaled 2014 Focus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 2014 Focus SE Hatchback that seems to have the wandering/lane drifting problem. I thought it was just me adjusting to a new car with EPAS. But after 1,000 miles I believe there is an issue. I drove it on the highway for about 80 miles the other day and I noticed that wind really seems to affect this issue. According to the weather report, there were 10mph winds, not strong enough to make it difficult to drive in. My car seems to overall have a slight pull to the left. I am hoping an alignment or some other easy fix is all that is needed. I will try to get it into the dealer next week.

Jamie

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm really beginning to wonder if I've made a mistake buying my Focus. I have about 250 miles on it so far and noticed the suspension creaking today (I normally have the radio on but it was off today) and I'm having these same type issues with the steering. I thought it was just me not being used to an electric assist but I guess that's not the case.
It's disappointing that my 5 day old car already needs a trip to the dealer for two separate issues. At least the transmission seems to be improving with each day. It was pretty bad the first couple of days but I wanted to give it some time to learn before I took it to the dealer for that issue.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I'm really beginning to wonder if I've made a mistake buying my Focus. I have about 250 miles on it so far and noticed the suspension creaking today (I normally have the radio on but it was off today) and I'm having these same type issues with the steering. I thought it was just me not being used to an electric assist but I guess that's not the case.
It's disappointing that my 5 day old car already needs a trip to the dealer for two separate issues. At least the transmission seems to be improving with each day. It was pretty bad the first couple of days but I wanted to give it some time to learn before I took it to the dealer for that issue.
Welcome to the forum!

Your vehicle has a break-in period of 1,000 miles, as per your Owner Guide, so I encourage you to wait until you're out of the break-in to see how the vehicle drives. Once you're past 1,000 miles, if you feel there is still a concern, please let me know.

Meagan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Meagan. I can't see how the break in would apply to the steering or the suspension creaking though. I understand that with the transmission having to learn my driving style though. That's why I hadn't planned to take it in for the jerkiness of the transmission.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks Meagan. I can't see how the break in would apply to the steering or the suspension creaking though. I understand that with the transmission having to learn my driving style though. That's why I hadn't planned to take it in for the jerkiness of the transmission.
Yeah, I was mostly referring to the transmission. I just assumed you were planning on taking it in for both at once. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, I was mostly referring to the transmission. I just assumed you were planning on taking it in for both at once. :)

Meagan
Hi Meagan,

My 2014 Focus hatch is having this steering issue that this thread was started about. After 30+ minutes on the freeway (for my car), the steering starts having issues centering, always wanting to either be pointing slightly left, or slightly right. Is there a TSB on this? I haven't gone to my dealer yet, but don't want to leave my car with them for 2 months. [:D]

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
My 2014 Focus hatch is having this steering issue that this thread was started about. After 30+ minutes on the freeway (for my car), the steering starts having issues centering, always wanting to either be pointing slightly left, or slightly right. Is there a TSB on this? I haven't gone to my dealer yet, but don't want to leave my car with them for 2 months. [:D]
Well, there is a TSB for it, I believe it's TSB# 12-2-17 (unless there is a more recent one?) but it only applies to cars built on or before 12/12/2011.

If it feels like there's a lot of breakover force required to turn the wheel, I think that's definitely a steering gear issue. If there's just kind of a dead zone in the steering, it could be bad wheel bearings. I have the same issue and I'm about to replace both of my front bearings - we'll see if that fixes it? It could also be alignment related.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi Meagan,

Thanks!
Thanks for reaching out. :)

Your dealer will be in the best position to discuss TSB's with you. Since I'm not a tech & haven't been hands on with your vehicle, I can't diagnose it to determine which TSB fits your symptoms. I see your message. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ford focus suck!!

Hello all,

I have a 2013 Ford Focus with the same power steering issue as thousands are reporting. After some research I found out that there is a class action lawsuit against Ford for the Focus' and Fusions models between the years of 2010-2014 due to this same issue. Ford is very well aware of the power steering issues these vehicles are having and the grave danger it poses for both drivers and surrounding vehicles and has done NOTHING about fixing this issue. My vehicle is just out of warranty and they are REFUSING to cover the repairs 100% or put me into a different kind of vehicle without the ridiculous up-side-down cost involved. The repair is estimated at just over $1,800. I have contacted one of the attorneys handling this suit and has giving me information. Anyone that is interested in being a part of this suit, please private message me. Unfortunately the only way it seems Ford is going to do something about this is if their pockets are deeply hurt. Ford, people's lives are in DANGER due to a manufacturing default in the power steering that you were aware of when these vehicles were sold! Be responsible and stand up for your customers since you claim that customer safety is your TOP PRIORITY! Take ownership of these issues and correct them!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Problem

I have a 2012 Focus that experienced many of the same issues reported in this thread. I purchased the vehicle with 34,000 miles on it and the factory warranty expired shortly after buying it. I had been driving it less than 6 months and the mileage was around 37,500. I was on a road trip and more than 7 hours away from my home. I went to make a left turn across a busy intersection that was 2 lanes and as I pulled out I felt the power steering drop out along with the assist fault message showing up on my dash. Fortunately I was able to make it to the parking lot I was going for and I tried restarting the car to no avail. I then drove it 7 hours home with no power steering directly to the dealership I bought the car from and that's where the fun began.

They charged me $100 to run a diagnostic and presented me with a piece of paper that stated there was a power steering fault, which I was obviously aware of. They then stated that the power steering column needed to be replaced and the cost would be upwards of $2,000. I contacted Ford customer support directly after researching the issue and finding thousands of reports with the same issue. I was told there was nothing they could do and ended up just paying for the repair cost. My only hope is that Ford issues a recall for the power steering issue so I can partially recover some of my repair money, which is extremely unlikely.

Shortly thereafter I noticed a creaking noise coming from the front wheels. I took it into the shop and the strut mounts and assemblies were already falling apart and needed to be replaced.

I'm now up to around $4,000 dollars in repair costs on a car that has less than 60k miles on it, which I think is absurd. I have been to numerous Ford dealerships only to be given the run-around and presented with deals that will only put me at further losses on the cost of ownership of this vehicle.

This incident could have killed me. The new Ford Focus is completely unsafe and Ford is aware of the issue. The Safety Institute has done studies and shows that "Drivers of the 2012 Ford Focus sustained more injuries than those in any other vehicle in the U.S." I have found thousands of reports of the exact same issue through research on the internet. Ford is aware of the problem yet they continue to beta test their unsafe products on consumers that could potentially be killed as a result of their ineptitude. I have put in inquiries to a few lawyers and have found out about the class action lawsuit against Ford which I will be joining.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't regret buying the Focus.. but between the steering and front suspension, I am sick of it..
I have had it in twice about the steering and the front end. I keep getting nothing is wrong, can't find any problems. So I just gave up and waiting for the complete fail, just hope my family is not in the car when It happens.
It has also been in to replace both rear wheel bearings @ 10k miles... really?? smh

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 2013 Ford Focus with the same power steering issue as thousands are reporting. After some research I found out that there is a class action lawsuit against Ford for the Focus' and Fusions models between the years of 2010-2014 due to this same issue. Ford is very well aware of the power steering issues these vehicles are having and the grave danger it poses for both drivers and surrounding vehicles and has done NOTHING about fixing this issue. My vehicle is just out of warranty and they are REFUSING to cover the repairs 100% or put me into a different kind of vehicle without the ridiculous up-side-down cost involved. The repair is estimated at just over $1,800. I have contacted one of the attorneys handling this suit and has giving me information. Anyone that is interested in being a part of this suit, please private message me. Unfortunately the only way it seems Ford is going to do something about this is if their pockets are deeply hurt. Ford, people's lives are in DANGER due to a manufacturing default in the power steering that you were aware of when these vehicles were sold! Be responsible and stand up for your customers since you claim that customer safety is your TOP PRIORITY! Take ownership of these issues and correct them!
When I first bought my Focus Ti I had experienced drifting on cement freeways but now with over 7000 miles, it doesn't do that anymore (just like tranny, it has adaptive learning?)....even with strong winds, it handles like a dream (I have 18's and wide tires).....or maybe I am one of the lucky ones....good luck!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I don't think I have the bad steering rack, but I have some pretty crazy tramlining going on. I think it's related to my from wheel bearings (I have other reasons why I think they're bad) but I wasn't able to replace them before the winter. (this is actually worse my on 195/65R15 winter tires - not the wide 18" low profile tires)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive had my Focus not steer at all after start up. It had a yellow info light on also. I shut it down and then started it back up all was good. Sounds like a faulty selonoid or transducer acting up in these cars. I dont have access to diagrams so I am just guessing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My steering failed and is locked out by the compter. Is my 2012 focus se under a recall?
56k miles. I am very pissed about it, it has been awful to steer on the highway and now its cooked. I am happy I made it home alive. Mark 3304644990 cell.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My steering failed and is locked out by the compter. Is my 2012 focus se under a recall?
56k miles. I am very pissed about it, it has been awful to steer on the highway and now its cooked. I am happy I made it home alive. Mark 3304644990 cell.
2012 Ford Focus Steering Service Bulletin 332784 dated back in 12/2011. Hope this will help!
Edit: 2013 Ford Focus Steering Service Bulletin 379796/ Try this website.....https://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b379796/

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
56k miles. I am very pissed about it, it has been awful to steer on the highway and now its cooked. I am happy I made it home alive. Mark [REDACTED] cell.
Hi markk,

Have you had a chance to visit your dealer about your steering? I also recommend editing your post to remove your number for your privacy.

Meagan

301 - 320 of 374 Posts