Focus Fanatics Forum banner

281 - 300 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok. Will do.. thw wife is driving the focus today.. ill send you a pm tonight... thanks

sent from my Galaxy S3 thru Tapatalk to deliver you my 2 cents.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So finally I got my car to the dealer.. They did the TSB for lubing the front strut shafts.(smh) they did the alignment (that wasn't out and didn't give me specs) and now the car is worse.. instead of lightly drifting, its pulling... So I guess I have to take it back. which is not easy since its my only means of transportation..

I also asked about the rough idle when the car is cool, they said everything looked ok, but they couldn't check it because of the green filter, the car is not programed for the open end filter... I'm like really.. ok.. Not happy with that answer, only been working on cars most of my life... not everyone is car dumb... but its not that important as it runs smooth in gear and still gets the close to the right gas mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 Ford Focus Steering Problem

I just purchased a 2014 Focus and there is a noticeable steering problem.... I am so disappointed! The car pulls left, then right and when I drive I am in constant correction mode. This is especially noticeable when on the highway but I can definitely feel it at slower speeds as well. I saw a news show with the Chairman of Ford saying that Ford is a great product... I guess I got duped. If I could return the car I would. Back to Honda and Hyundai for me.[bigcry][bigcry]

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 Focus and there is a noticeable steering problem.... I am so disappointed! The car pulls left, then right and when I drive I am in constant correction mode. This is especially noticeable when on the highway but I can definitely feel it at slower speeds as well. I saw a news show with the Chairman of Ford saying that Ford is a great product... I guess I got duped. If I could return the car I would. Back to Honda and Hyundai for me.[bigcry][bigcry]
Why not just take your car in to be fixed under warranty? It's either an alignment or steering rack issue and considering the fact that it's a '14, there should be no issue getting it covered. Steering wander is a known issue on the Mk3 and there is at least one TSB covering it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dyn085- If you check the posts on this problem it seems like its the way ford designed the system expecting customers not to notice I guess. It's bad business. I am going back to the dealer, but how sad that I am back in the shop after day one with my new car. Ford will not be able to fix a problem like this. I cannot drive like this and want a complete refund.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Why not just take your car in to be fixed under warranty?
You make it sound so easy... my car does this too, it's not horrible on my car, but the steering wheel definitely requires a re-adjustment like every 1-2 seconds. I brought it in once for the issue and the dealership said they didn't notice any problems with it pulling (which I'm guessing means they never took it out on the highway). It took me 2 years to get my transmission fixed, I'd rather live with the zig-zag driving than go through that again.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
The intent wasn't to make it appear as if getting a warranty repair is 'that easy', although it is for some. I understand that some people have 'Service' issues as I was one. If I choose to buy another Ford then I have to do it at one dealership in town and then for service take it to a different one, because each dealership sucks at the other facet of the vehicular experience.

No, my message was more along the lines of why just immediately want to give the car away instead of trying to have it fixed? No production process is perfect nor is every-single produced vehicle. It baffles my mind that people would find something to complain about and, even though there is a process to have the issues resolved (hopefully with no out-of-pocket expense), they want to take a path of ignorance and just get rid of the entire vehicle instead.

Granted, that has nothing to do with 'good' or 'bad' service dealerships-strictly the thought process prior to having taken it in. I totally understand those that have crappy Service departments that would rather get rid of the vehicle than have to travel to another dealership or deal with a vehicle that is worse off than when it was initially brought in. But at least those people actually tried to get their issues resolved.

Alfsnack, I've followed this thread and similar threads like it for a long time. To think that Ford designed the system to be like that and 'not noticed' is absurd. My car doesn't do that. That means that you have a problem, exactly as others have. Ford recognizes the fact that vehicles aren't driving 'the way Ford designed the system', which is why there is a TSB out concerning it...

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hey alfsnack,

I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager, who is in the best position to assist. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

I'll get this up the ladder.

Todd

·
Registered
138 Posts
What wheels and tires did your car come equipped with? If you have the 18' wheels like I have on my Titanium (or any low profile tire wheel combo) you will notice some wander on roads with lots of ruts and uneven pavement. Wide low profile tires will tend to follow any irregularities in the pavement. I would assume that the roads in NY aren't perfectly flat and pristine.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
What wheels and tires did your car come equipped with? If you have the 18' wheels like I have on my Titanium (or any low profile tire wheel combo) you will notice some wander on roads with lots of ruts and uneven pavement. Wide low profile tires will tend to follow any irregularities in the pavement. I would assume that the roads in NY aren't perfectly flat and pristine.
you are correct but i will say that my '01 focus (205/50/16) followed ruts and wandered WAY more than my current focus (215/50/17)

·
Registered
2 Posts
NEW 2014 Focus

Bought this car as a commuter, 100 miles daily. This thing is horrible on the highway, right then left then right then left............

I will be going back to the dealer and see what they say. Kinda thought Ford would have this worked out by now[?|][?|]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3 in January and I've had this problem since I bought it. I didn't feel the sensation on my test drive, but I suppose it wasn't long enough for the problem to show up. At first I thought I was just going crazy, but I knew I wasn't when I got home, googled what I was experiencing and read many others describe the sensation exactly.

It's so exhausting and downright dangerous to be ping ponging back and forth for miles and miles. Driving next to a semi truck requires 110% concentration in order to keep the car in the lines.

The dealership I bought the car at refused to acknowledge the problem even though they said they drove it in the exact conditions I told them to. I gave up for a few weeks and then tried taking it to another dealership. The dealership was much friendlier but completely ignored my description of the problem and when it tends to occur.

I'm just really disappointed and love the car otherwise. I've driven many other vehicles of all shapes and sizes and I can say with 100% certainty something is wrong with the car. I just don't know how to get the dealership to experience it (and/or acknowledge it).

Ford customer service has also been no help to me thus far. I called them three or four times and never got an answer besides "we're going to back the dealership on this issue."

Not sure what to do next

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought this car as a commuter, 100 miles daily. This thing is horrible on the highway, right then left then right then left............

I will be going back to the dealer and see what they say. Kinda thought Ford would have this worked out by now[?|][?|]
mkkfocus, can you please let me know what dealership you took it to if they acknowledge the problem and fix it?

I live nearly 6 hours away but would gladly bring it down there if there's a dealership that will take care of this problem.

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar Issues

I have a '13 Focus Titanium that is giving me similar trouble. I don't drive a lot of highway, but the car is pulling me all over the place in town. I'm constantly fighting and worried that it's going to pull me into the curb or the car next to me. The issue surfaces when braking as well. Any time there is any sort of imperfection in the road, applying the brakes will cause the car to pull hard one way or the other.
Anyone else experience this at low speeds as well? I have to assume this is related to the high speed zig-zagging everyone else is experiencing.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I have a '13 Focus Titanium that is giving me similar trouble. I don't drive a lot of highway, but the car is pulling me all over the place in town. I'm constantly fighting and worried that it's going to pull me into the curb or the car next to me. The issue surfaces when braking as well. Any time there is any sort of imperfection in the road, applying the brakes will cause the car to pull hard one way or the other.
Anyone else experience this at low speeds as well? I have to assume this is related to the high speed zig-zagging everyone else is experiencing.
Do you have the Titanium Handling Package? I noticed that the wider rims with the sticky summers tires can really do that because it doesn't happen when I have my winter tires on.

That said, I still have a hard time driving a straight line on the highway no matter which set of tires I'm on, so maybe they really are related? [dunno] But also, some of my bearings are bad, so I'm hoping that fixes the drifting issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have the Titanium Handling Package? I noticed that the wider rims with the sticky summers tires can really do that because it doesn't happen when I have my winter tires on.
Thanks for the thoughts.
I saw that mentioned and I do have the handling package, but I have a hard time imaging it's the source of all my issues. I know it's not an exact a/b comparison, but I've also driven a few late model Acuras with the more aggressive tires/wheels and experienced nothing like this. I'm concerned that if I take it in for warranty, they'll just tell me it's standard behavior for the car as some other people have been told. Seems there's no way to 'prove' it, but it's certainly not fun to drive as it is right now. I guess finding a different set of wheels and tires might be the only way to test it, but I don't have those lying around. Doesn't seem like alignment or wheel bearing issues for me, because it can pull either way all the way though the 25-55mph I drive on my way to work. I'll be driving to Chicago this weekend, so I should get a good long trip to see how it fares at freeway speeds.

Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Interesting. I did no read entire thread yet. Had same issue. Going down the highway when I needed to correct steering would kinda pop a bit. After a few hundred miles I have not noticed it any more. Thinking was just need to break in. I am now going to pay way more attention to make sure it is indeed gone and not me just compensating. Will let you all know my results. [driving]

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I mean, there was the TSB. But I'm sure there are people with the issue that Ford brushes off as normal.

My car doesn't track straight, but it's not quite dangerous either.

I dunno - maybe it's the fact that it's EPAS and it just feels different? I haven't compared the steering to a 2013 or 2014 Focus.

281 - 300 of 374 Posts