Focus Fanatics Forum banner

261 - 280 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
We still have not heard back from our dealer. Very frustrated. I have waited ten years for a new car and now this, a car that we cannot drive on the highway! Will try calling again today.
Hi FLFocus2013,

Check out your inbox for a message from me. I'll do what I can to help! :)

Crystal

·
Registered
104 Posts
I find the stock summer tires on my Titanium with the handling package (18" wheels) tend to follow the ruts in the road a lot more than my winter set (15" steelies and winter tires). This appears as pulling, jerking, etc. and really forces you to A - pay attention and B- hold onto the wheel. Both are good things IMO.

Not sure what size tires you have, but I wouldn't not drive the car just because the tires seem to pull you around a bit. It takes getting used to and therefore may not be a mechanical issue. All cars with performance oriented tires will do this to varrying degrees and the Focus is a performace oriented car. Once you get the hang of it, you'll appreciate the way you can zip around corners, etc. If your last car was 10+ years old, it may have been a lot softer than this one; again, give it some time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not operater error

Thanks, but my boyfriend drove race cars, a Ferrari and a corvette and he could not keep our new Focus from zig-zaging on the highway on the entire drive home from the dealer. Tires are 16" Alloy. I really want to love my new car, but I should have said I cannot "safely" drive it on the highway. Still no response from my dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow this a great web site. Anyway I'm having the same problems with the wandering steering too! My car is a 2013 Focus Titanium.
Anybody Hear of the 2013 having this problem too?
According to Ford my car was built around Oct of 2012.
I took the car into the dealer for this and many other problems and I got some things fixed and some of them can't find any thing wrong.
As for the steering problem I got nothing wrong answer.
Well I got to bring the car back in for visit number 3 next week,
Funny thing is the card was sold to me on June 28th 2013.
Bummer cause I liked the Focus cars. This is my 4th one.
Too bad It's full of problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
heard back from my dealer

I agree, great site. Crystal from Ford customer service put me in touch with a rep for my area who will be calling me again today to check my progress. I did hear back from my dealer and his manager (he had the day off, so could not get back to me right away). I brought my car in yesterday for service. They kept it overnight, so hope to hear back today. I asked them to take it on the highway, so I hope they do. I am guessing my car was also built in 2012, but will check. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Wow this a great web site. Anyway I'm having the same problems with the wandering steering too!...
Hi kae9797,

I'm happy to look into options to assist you as well. Send me your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name in a PM and I'll get to work. :)

I agree, great site. Crystal from Ford customer service put me in touch with a rep for my area who will be calling me again today to check my progress. I did hear back from my dealer and his manager (he had the day off, so could not get back to me right away). I brought my car in yesterday for service. They kept it overnight, so hope to hear back today...
Let me know what your hear from the dealership, FLFocus2013. I'll be here if you have any questions or concerns.

Crystal

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need help

The service department just called and they said the mechanic could not find anything wrong with our car. We told them that was unacceptable, so they are having the foreman take it out for his opinion. Is there anything that you can do? I need help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
will wait and see

The service manager was nice enough to take our car out on the highway with us. The car drove fine, so I am not sure why it drifted and zig-zagged the day we bought it. We will wait and see if it hapens again. I really want to love my new car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi kae9797,

I'm happy to look into options to assist you as well. Send me your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name in a PM and I'll get to work. :)

Let me know what your hear from the dealership, FLFocus2013. I'll be here if you have any questions or concerns.

Crystal
Hi Crystal, I'm going to see about bringing the car into the dealer this week for a follow up to other problems.
I will have them take a 2nd look at the steering problem and see if they can fix it.
If I don't get good results I will be back in touch with you.
Thanks for keeping a eye out here at the forum.[pray]

·
Registered
21 Posts
The service manager was nice enough to take our car out on the highway with us. The car drove fine, so I am not sure why it drifted and zig-zagged the day we bought it. We will wait and see if it hapens again. I really want to love my new car.
Hey there FLFocus2013; how did you make out with your dealer visit?
I mean did you do a follow up with them after your last posting?[popcorn]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Problem Fixed

I took my Focus to my local tire store and had the all four tires re-balanced. I then went on a trip of over 500 miles 2 lane to 6 lane highways, Blacktop and concrete surfaces and had no problems at all. The car drove like new.
I think that the computer that assists with the steering is sensitive to wheel bounce and appying adjustment for wobble and causing further problems, so the simple fix for the wheel wobble problem is to simply have the wheels re-balanced.
The dealer is NO help in this.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
...Thanks for keeping a eye out here at the forum.[pray]
You're welcome, kae9797! I'll be here if you need me to step in and assist. :)

Crystal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, after using a code recorder and zig-zagging down the highway for 15,000 miles, my dealer replaced the steering rack, and the car is now performing as designed.
I am grateful for the help I have received from this board. The 2013 Focus now drives like a dream

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Well, after using a code recorder and zig-zagging down the highway for 15,000 miles, my dealer replaced the steering rack, and the car is now performing as designed.
I am grateful for the help I have received from this board. The 2013 Focus now drives like a dream
Fantastic news, jlaves! Thanks for sharing your outcome with us. If you need any assistance, I'm always just a few mouse clicks away. [thumb]

Crystal

·
Registered
74 Posts
I still have that zig zag feeling. Now I have a noise coming from the right front and the right front tire is cupping up. But the Lincoln dealer checked the car before the tire cupping and said the steering was fine.. That was 4000 miles ago and it still feels the same. I know the focus has very sensitive steering, but to always have to correct the car is not good.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
I still have that zig zag feeling. Now I have a noise coming from the right front and the right front tire is cupping up. But the Lincoln dealer checked the car before the tire cupping and said the steering was fine.. That was 4000 miles ago and it still feels the same. I know the focus has very sensitive steering, but to always have to correct the car is not good.
You're right, having to constantly correct is not normal, regardless of the sensitivity of the steering. Cupping and uneven tire wear is sure evidence that something is not right. If it were me, I would take the car to a competent alignment shop.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You're right, having to constantly correct is not normal, regardless of the sensitivity of the steering. Cupping and uneven tire wear is sure evidence that something is not right. If it were me, I would take the car to a competent alignment shop.
Well, I work at goodyear, I had my tech test drive it and check the alignment, the alignment is in specs. everything seems tight no play, no leaking struts. He seems to thing the strut maybe bad as to why it is cause the tire to cup, but he cannot prove it.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I also have a cupped tire and a slight zig-zaggy feeling. I was just going to assume it was a bad belt in my tire or something. I'll check the bearings and the rest of the suspension (to the best of my abilities) in a few weeks when I put on my winter tires.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am making an appointment at Ford to have them look at the steering and the tire cupping... I'll let you guys know what happens..

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I am making an appointment at Ford to have them look at the steering and the tire cupping... I'll let you guys know what happens..
Hey GreyBullit,

I'd like to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager, who'll be able to work with you and your Ford Dealer toward a swift resolution. Please send me a PM with you full name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Todd

261 - 280 of 376 Posts