Focus Fanatics Forum banner

241 - 260 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 Ford Focus SEL

Hi all. I was referred here after doing a little Google search on "power assist failure" for the 2012 Focus.

The system warning message came on after the car was sitting in a parking lot all day during work hours. Turned car off and on a few times to see if it would go away as it had for a few others, but mine persisted. Left the Focus at work to take to local dealer the next day. Steering was extremely tough and didn't want to risk driving 30 miles home as it was.

Dealer today tells me that they have to replace the entire steering column. Not sure what that means exactly, but it's going to cost $2400. Our family's first Ford ever, and we are really regretting it.

Guess there's no chance of any sort of recall, right? Wish I had researched electronic power steering issues before all this. Forum seems great though.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
I don't understand why they would have to replace the entire column. There are two TRW-manufactured EPS units: the column-drive and the rack-drive units. The Focus has the rack-drive unit, where all of the power-assist function is located on the rack, vs. on the column for the other type.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi all. I was referred here after doing a little Google search on "power assist failure" for the 2012 Focus.

The system warning message came on after the car was sitting in a parking lot all day during work hours. Turned car off and on a few times to see if it would go away as it had for a few others, but mine persisted. Left the Focus at work to take to local dealer the next day. Steering was extremely tough and didn't want to risk driving 30 miles home as it was.

Dealer today tells me that they have to replace the entire steering column. Not sure what that means exactly, but it's going to cost $2400. Our family's first Ford ever, and we are really regretting it.

Guess there's no chance of any sort of recall, right? Wish I had researched electronic power steering issues before all this. Forum seems great though.
do you have a warranty ?whats your build date can find inside door or www.etis.ford.com there is a service bulletin if your car was built b4 04-19-2011 that might help read thru this threadhttp://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264330

·
Registered
2 Posts
Warranty coverage expired due to mileage. Put over 40,000 miles on it so far, lots of interstate driving.

Basically told me that all steering electronics are shot and need to be replaced. At least the dealer is giving me a loaner for the two days. The warning indicator never turned off for me, even after 12 hours. Guess I got unlucky.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I owned a Cooper S and felt similar. Welcome to electric power steering! Isnt it comforting to think there is only electronics between you and your steering? No gearbox or rack to steer with in case of problems at 75 on the interstate. I just tried not to think about it too much lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
I owned a Cooper S and felt similar. Welcome to electric power steering! Isnt it comforting to think there is only electronics between you and your steering? No gearbox or rack to steer with in case of problems at 75 on the interstate. I just tried not to think about it too much lol
The MK3 Focus has a standard rack and pinon mechanical linkage like any other small car. The electric power steering (EPAS) just replaces the hydraulic pump for providing assistance (and allows for interesting things like different assist profiles at different speeds, compensating for road crowns and crosswinds, and park assist).

If it fails, you still have (unassisted) mechanical steering - it's not a drive-by-wire system.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same steering problem, it is scary when you try to straighten the car while doing 60 and it won't turn, then all of a sudden it whips over to the other side of the road.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Similar issue

I took my 13 Focus se in for what I call "wondering" and alignment check. They said the Alignment was in specs and they could not duplicate the "wondering" problem. I told them it only happens at highway speeds... I will have to get on the highway and see if it still does it..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ford dealer replaced the steering gear for me. I drove 300 miles and the problem seems to be fixed, steering still seems a little tight, but I will wait and see.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sad to say that even after my car being at the dealer for a month, and the steering gear being replaced. I'm still having issues. Now my ford customer service rep will not return my calls. But I think I've found a fix though.....get rid of the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Steering wandering problems

After driving about 1000 miles the problem has come back, wandering around the road again.
I will take it back and they can try to repair it again. I also am thinking of trading it for something else.
I think that it should qualify as a LEMON. It sure leaves a bad taste in my attitude towards Ford.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I'm sad to say that even after my car being at the dealer for a month, and the steering gear being replaced. I'm still having issues. Now my ford customer service rep will not return my calls. But I think I've found a fix though.....get rid of the car.
Hi scoobtothenoog.

I'd like to look into why you haven't received a call. Can you PM me your case number or VIN?

After driving about 1000 miles the problem has come back, wandering around the road again...
Hi jrrysthl.

I'd like to look into this for you. Could you please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info? I'll see what I can find out.

Ashley

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in Minnesota in June. The test drive was great (only 3 to 4 miles). When driving the car home (which is about 60 miles from the dealer), after 25 miles or so, the steering seemed to stiffen up and I found myself kind of zig-zaging within the lane (new cement freeway less than one year old). Thought maybe I was not used to the new car, or maybe it was the road? Since then, I payed close attention to the steering. I don't know what causes the steering to stiffen and free up at times. For now it seems to happen only at crusing speed (60-65) after some distance...and the distance seems to vary. So I decided after several hundred miles it wasn't the road or my ability to drive, it was the steering in the car that was the problem. I brought the car back to the dealer to be fixed and they said it drove fine. I asked them how far they drove it, and they said less than 10 miles. I asked them if they would drive it 20 to 30 miles on the freeway. They did, and found the car to be doing what I said it was doing with the steering getting stiff and then free. But they said nothing could be done about it. I am wondering how the car is going to act on ice this winter driving down the freeway. Anyone else hear about, or having this steering problem?
We bought a 2013 focus SE yesterday and when we got on the highway for the 110 mile trip home, our car would not stay in our lane! We zig-zagged and wandered the entire trip home. I goggled this issue as soon as we got home and found this thread, which I just forwarded my dealer. While the car is great for local driving, it is completely unacceptable for highway driving. I hope I get help from our dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
still waiting

We still have not heard back from our dealer. Very frustrated. I have waited ten years for a new car and now this, a car that we cannot drive on the highway! Will try calling again today.

241 - 260 of 376 Posts