Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a first time Focus owner. This is my first time posting on this forum.

I recently purchased a 2012 Ford Focus SE from my in laws knowing there was an issue with a fuel leak that would need repaired. Sometime in late 2019 or early 2020, my father law was filling the tank and noticed fuel on the ground. I don't know how much or whether the fuel was coming from the tank area or the overfill tube. He thereafter experienced a similar issue whenever trying to fill the tank past ~3/4 full.

Around the same time, they had taken the vehicle to a Ford dealership for recall service (related to EVAP cannister??). The dealership determined that this vehicle did not need the fix. The technician did point out that they had noticed fuel on the tank.

Fast forward to today. I purchased the Haynes manual and went through the process of removing the fuel tank. I followed the manual nearly to the "t," with the exception of completely removing the exhaust line and heat shields. I was able to safely remove the tank toward the passenger side of the vehicle.

The fuel tank was very dirty. The dirt on a large section of the rear of the tank (where the filler tube is) was darker and looked to have been moistened by gas, but I could not determine for certain. The "wet" section included the highest points on the tank. I have since vacuumed off the dust and wiped it down. The attached pictures shows the approximate area where the darker dirt was. I did not see any areas immediately near the fuel pump that were visibly wet at one time.

I inspected the yellow "cap" around the filler tube and found what appears to be a separation. IF there is a separation or hole here, it appears to be extremely small-- perhaps a pinhole size around the edge of the yellow. I tried searching for pictures of new tanks for this model year to see if this line was normal.

Can anyone provide insight on whether this is the probable source of the leak? Would pressurized fuel leaking from a pinhole or very thin crack in the yellow area cause fuel to reach the areas pictured, including the highest section of the tank rear?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts