Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have tried to research on my own and found nothing so far, but i was wondering what my options would be as far as swapping my engine would be?
OP, if you are looking for a car that will be faster than a WRX, or other performance car in a straight line, you will definitely need to look into a turbo kit. (Tom's kit would be easier than swapping in a complete ST drivetrain, although that has been done)

If you just want a car that is peppy and fun to drive around on twisty roads, there are inexpensive mods that can be done to the handling (rear sway bar, lowering springs, etc) that will really transform the driving dynamic of the car.

Considering you are in high school, you most likely do not have the funds to do a turbo kit right now. If you want to squeeze some more power out of your mk3 I would save up your pennies for Tom's tune, and do some supporting mods for it (exhaust, intake, etc). That will be a more cost effective way to spend money. Another very cheap but effective mod i the steeda or whiteline rear sway bar. Most consider it the best pound for pound mod to do. If you like how the RSB makes the car feel, try out their lowering springs.

These cars make a very good platform for spirited driving on a twisty road, and with a few mods and a decent driver, it will be just as quick as most cars.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Will Tom's turbo kit shave over 2 seconds off of a stock Focus' 1/4 mile? A stock ST is only a bit over a second quicker than a stock 5 speed SE.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Will Tom's turbo kit shave over 2 seconds off of a stock Focus' 1/4 mile? A stock ST is only a bit over a second quicker than a stock 5 speed SE.
We’ll stock a stock Focus ST makes about 250 hp and runs mid 14s. Stage 2 ST will run mid to high 13s. It doesn’t seem like mid 13s is too out of the question for Tom’s turbo kit. I would love to see in depth video review of a car with his turbo kit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Now id you really want to make a small engine make power, get a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 and build that. I have a 94 3000GT VR4 that is pushing 624HP to all four wheels at 7,800rpm. Now that is a fun car. :-D

·
FF Affiliate
30,253 Posts
Wifes 2002 SVT bone stock origional engine 326

My 2000 ZX3 Zetec was over 700hp daily driver

The Focus is a great platform to make high HP with

Tom

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have tried to research on my own and found nothing so far, but i was wondering what my options would be as far as swapping my engine would be?
Sorry, I'm late. As far as I have seen, ST swaps are the biggest thing as of lately. Coyote swaps are probably the next biggest swap I've seen, but that ends up being a RWD conversion as well. The cheapest way in my opinion is to get an older Honda motor since they have plenty of aftermarket and boost the hell out of it. You could also try hayabusa swapping or Rotary swapping.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts