Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else notice that you can now build it on the Ford website?[wiggle]

EDIT: I think it's technically still a Third Generation Focus...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not much to build. You can choose a paint color and between cloth and leather seats.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not much to build. You can choose a paint color and between cloth and leather seats.
True. I think it's kind of funny that they don't even offer it in the color that they've been showing it in.

EDIT: Weird - I thought it was much more sky blue-esque in the last picture I saw it in. Looks like I need to stop drinking.

·
Registered
171 Posts

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE
2012 Ford Focus electric is lookin' kinda sweet.. I might have to pick one up for the misses...

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Focus is eligible for $7500 cash back from the Feds and some states also offer additional cash rebates. Some companies also offer rebates to their employees for buying an EV.

For example, the web site shows a total of $10,000 in Fed/State rebates for California residents, so $30,000 after the rebates.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
True. I think it's kind of funny that they don't even offer it in the color that they've been showing it in.
Isn't it shown in Frosted Glass? That's an option on the site.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Building it the various colors are now available.
So it is in Frosted Glass too.
With leather it is $40,000.
That is a lot of money.
Even with rebates.. it still is pretty expensive for a car with 150 mile range and three hours to recharge.
A pretty limited car. Great for a few folks, not much use to the vast majority.

I know new stuff has to start somewhere.
Hope it does OK.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm glad to see this car come to market. I'd love to own one as it would be a good fit for the type of driving that our family does: lots of short, around town trips. The price gives me pause, as I've never considered spending that amount of money on a car. The tax credit helps some, but it is still a high price to pay to be an early adopter.

I do hope the car sells well. I have no doubt it will be a smooth, quiet ride, with ample torque off the line, keeping the driving fun. Hopefully, the weight and location of the batteries won't throw off the excellent driving dynamics of the regular Focus. If they could find a way to hide the batteries lower in the car without taking up boot space it would be an improvement. I look forward to real driving reports by owners and reviewers.

I briefly considered the LEAF, but in the end, it seemed too expensive for what is basically a nice, but boring car. I would really like to get away from gasoline and ICE, but I might sit this first round out until the price comes down. Hopefully the battery technology improvements will start to accelerate. I don't want a range extended EV with the added weight, cost, and complexity of a redundant engine or gas generator. Part of the beauty to me with EVs is the lack of oil changes or significant maintenance at all except for tire rotations. With regenerative brakes, I imagine they won't even need much brake work.

Now to pick some nits with the configuration options.
Why are we limited t just six colors? Four of them are some version of white/off-white or silver tinted light colors? For the price there should be more options.
I'm not sold on the seats. Im all for reusable and reused materials in cars, but the funky pattern doesn't seem that appealing. Perhaps it will look nicer in person. Hopefully the front and rear seats are heated. I didn't look closely enough on the website to see.

Those are the only options that I can see. No wheel choices. No option to get the car more stripped down, without navigation, etc. I guess, like with the LEAF, the navigation is "needed" to show you where charging stations are or to provide a visual view of where you might run out of battery power. While this may be nice, it isn't necessary for everyone. I am certain there are no charging stations near me, and this car would still suit most of my daily driving needs with home charging.

Anyway, I hope the car sells well despite my criticisms, and I hope to buy one or something similar in the not so distant future. I think Ford is on the right track here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts