Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting at my local dealership enjoying "The Works" service, along with the 30,000 automatic transmission service, which consists of a drain-and-fill with a specialty fluid of nearly $30 a quart.

I've never been a fan of flushing a transmission, but it was confirmed to me that we are not supposed to flush our system - it is drain-and-fill only.

I'm posting this so no one takes their vehicle someplace that tries to sell them something that is not needed, and worse, could do harm. Add to that the special fluid and uniqueness of our system, and you can imagine the disaster that is possible.

Happy driving!

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
There is only 1.7-1.9 quarts of fluid in the transmission as it is essentially a manual transmission shifted by solenoids. Don't ever power flush the transmission.

Hell it's not even recommended to change the fluid for the life of the transmission, but if you were to change the fluid at some interval, say 50-75k miles you don't want to do more than drain it and re-fill if at all.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Probably too late, but you may want to refer the service department to the maintenance schedule...the DCT service they just performed isn't recommended untill 100,000 or 150,000 miles. Labor charges should be minimal as it only involves removing a drain plug and a fill plug - no filters, pans or gaskets.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably too late, but you may want to refer the service department to the maintenance schedule...the DCT service they just performed isn't recommended untill 100,000 or 150,000 miles. Labor charges should be minimal as it only involves removing a drain plug and a fill plug - no filters, pans or gaskets.
I went ahead and had it done anyway...I'm kind of weird when it comes to factory fluids. Except for the $30/quart charge for the fluid, it wasn't all that expensive.

A coupon came through the mail that stated I was due for the 30,000 fluid change. I knew that it wasn't really due until later - they probably meant for regular automatic transmissions - but I figured what the heck.

I have what is probably the placebo effect of thinking the car drives more smoothly (it ran smooth to begin with).

·
Registered
425 Posts
You just got ripped off.

The DCT does not use ATF like a slushbox automatic would. It does not need to be changed every 30,000 mi.
It only needs to be changed in the intervals a manual transmission would require oil changes, which is a very long time.

I also seriously hope your garage did not put ATF in this transmission...

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Many manual transmissions use ATF these days. My ZF specs it. I'm not sure about the DCT. It may use a synthetic ATF.
Nope the DCT uses a special DCT fluid that's also been specified in the MT82 at one point to quell issues with it, so it's much more like normal manual transmission fluid.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope the DCT uses a special DCT fluid that's also been specified in the MT82 at one point to quell issues with it, so it's much more like normal manual transmission fluid.
Yep...I read a thread about the 2011 Ford Mustang where they were discussing their problems.

·
Registered
292 Posts
XT-11-QDC is nothing more than a very light viscosity Synchromesh. It's not magical.

Just an FYI, I just received 2 quarts of XT-11-QDC from Amazon.com, paid $9.13 a quart.
[cheers]
WIN!

Link

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sitting at my local dealership enjoying "The Works" service, along with the 30,000 automatic transmission service, which consists of a drain-and-fill with a specialty fluid of nearly $30 a quart.

I've never been a fan of flushing a transmission, but it was confirmed to me that we are not supposed to flush our system - it is drain-and-fill only.

I'm posting this so no one takes their vehicle someplace that tries to sell them something that is not needed, and worse, could do harm. Add to that the special fluid and uniqueness of our system, and you can imagine the disaster that is possible.

Happy driving!
Driving 2580 miles in one trip, my focus titanium tranny fsile

Happy driving!
Just drove 2580 miles in 1 trip. On the way home the "T failure" came on. "Service now!" I drove the rest of the 300 miles home, and had no reverse.
113360 miles on it, can the fluid actually fail? This morning the message is off and it went into reverse just fine. All things being seemingly back to normal. No failure message?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts