Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Repost, but I actually READ the article this time instead of just watching the video. Agreed on all points except MFT, I haven't had any issues and ease of use has been great as far as I'm concerned. Once you learn the color coordinations and the fact that options are usually listed on the right and left hand sides with the controls in the middle, it becomes very easy to use.

Glad to hear the Focus reigns as the top pick in the segment by reviewers as reputable as the guys over at Edmunds. I absolutely love this car... I'd probably regret dropping 100 horsepower from the Mazdaspeed 3 if I didn't have comparable handling in the new car. I almost went with an Elantra, too.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I wonder if the Focus will win any COTY competitions for 2012?

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I wonder if the Focus will win any COTY competitions for 2012?

Posted via FF Mobile
I hope so. I know we'll score top marks in the US Gov't crash ratings after seeing the IIHS and Euro ratings... top marks on both.

That coupled with the fact that our estimated MPG has been closer to the actual recorded MPG from reviewers, and quality of the car for the price... it's safe to say it'll atleast be a strong contender.

Here's to hoping that even though I don't have any MFT issues, it won't be so detrimental as to knock us off the COTY pedestal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I almost went with an Elantra, too.
Same here. The choice came down to an Elantra or Focus. I preferred the looks of the Elantra but since they weren't negotiating much on price and I had the X-plan for the Focus, it made the price difference only about 1k between the 2 cars. For 1k difference I was all over the Focus. Much better car in IMHO...but it should be considering the cost difference (if you do apples to apples comparison of invoice or MSRP price and features).

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Same here. The choice came down to an Elantra or Focus. I preferred the looks of the Elantra but since they weren't negotiating much on price and I had the X-plan for the Focus, it made the price difference only about 1k between the 2 cars. For 1k difference I was all over the Focus. Much better car in IMHO...but it should be considering the cost difference (if you do apples to apples comparison of invoice or MSRP price and features).
When they took off the extra crap on the Focus like Parking Tech package and stuff, it came to within 1k of the Elantra, similarly equipped. Invoice might even make up that difference, Ford has a lot of room between MSRP and invoice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When they took off the extra crap on the Focus like Parking Tech package and stuff, it came to within 1k of the Elantra, similarly equipped. Invoice might even make up that difference, Ford has a lot of room between MSRP and invoice.
Yeah I'm talking more comparable model though. Putting on all the options such that the Focus has everything the Elantra had (minus rear heated seats of course). Difference was about 3-4k when I priced them out. But with discounts we can indeed get to within about 1k.

UPDATE:
Just to clarify, I pitted an Elantra Limited w/ Nav up against the Focus...to get a comparable Focus I picked:

- Titanium trim (hatch...cause that's what I was interested in)
- moonroof
- winter package (for heated seats)
- 401a package (for leather seats)
- MFT w/ Nav

This gave me a pretty comparable car (minus rear parking camera, but with a lot of extra features like dual climate control, rain sensing wipers, and power driver's seat).

Elantra priced out to $23.7k - Focus at $26.8k (you can build a similar SEL trim car for a few hundred less but I figured might as well go with the Titanium)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Yeah I'm talking more comparable model though. Putting on all the options such that the Focus has everything the Elantra had (minus rear heated seats of course). Difference was about 3-4k when I priced them out. But with discounts we can indeed get to within about 1k.
Yeah. Idk though in the long run financing 3-4k for the handling, fit and finish, and interior quality is worth it to me. The Elantra is still just an econobox, the Focus is an econobox to be proud of. I'm just glad I didn't opt for the Elantra based on fuel economy considering reviewers have gotten closer to estimated with the Focus.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah. Idk though in the long run financing 3-4k for the handling, fit and finish, and interior quality is worth it to me. The Elantra is still just an econobox, the Focus is an econobox to be proud of. I'm just glad I didn't opt for the Elantra based on fuel economy considering reviewers have gotten closer to estimated with the Focus.
I'm right with you there brother! I was pretty sure that I'd end up buying the Elantra...then I drove the Focus and fell in love. You could just "feel" the German engineering. Felt like a car built for a higher class than the one I was looking at. Ended up ordering myself a Focus and canceling the deposit I had already put down on an Elantra. For sheer value, the Elantra is hard to beat...but value is not the only part of the equation for many of us when it comes to buying a car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I too am glad I wasn't swayed by the EPA numbers of the Elantra. The Focus really does drive/handle/look better on so many levels. I love my car.

Funny Story: I remember when I was first comparing the Elantra and Focus Sedan -- I downloaded some pictures (front/back) of both cars on my iphone and showed them to my fiance (without telling her what cars they were). I asked her opinion - on sheer looks between both cars - what car do you like more?

Needless to say, she definately liked the look of the Focus much more (and she was very suprised when I told her it was a new re-designed ford focus)

I also remember chuckling at her remarks towards the Elantra. She sayed that the elongated headlights and the 'over-stated' detail lines on the side of the car made it look like a Shark or some kind of fish in water or something... I am glad I got a 'cool car' and not a 'fish' [8D]

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I too am glad I wasn't swayed by the EPA numbers of the Elantra. The Focus really does drive/handle/look better on so many levels. I love my car.

Funny Story: I remember when I was first comparing the Elantra and Focus Sedan -- I downloaded some pictures (front/back) of both cars on my iphone and showed them to my fiance (without telling her what cars they were). I asked her opinion - on sheer looks between both cars - what car do you like more?

Needless to say, she definately liked the look of the Focus much more (and she was very suprised when I told her it was a new re-designed ford focus)

I also remember chuckling at her remarks towards the Elantra. She sayed that the elongated headlights and the 'over-stated' detail lines on the side of the car made it look like a Shark or some kind of fish in water or something... I am glad I got a 'cool car' and not a 'fish' [8D]
Agreed on all points! I was chilling with the local car enthusiasts... used to bring the Mazda out of course, so I brought the Focus out this week... my friend parked right NEXT to it, gets out and asks where the Mazda is, so I pointed at the Focus and the first words out of his mouth were: "I thought you were getting a Focus?"... so I said, "that IS a Focus." lol, needless to say he was pretty surprised, so were a few other people.

I get flack until they see and sit in the car, then all the doubt vanishes, and people love it. It's such a great car. I was also looking at a Kia Forte Koup SX... to keep some of the "sporty" feel. Then I saw, read about, and test drove the Focus, and the Kia was no longer an option. Comparable specs, much more upscale interior, fit and finish, etc.

It was a no brainer. This is the best car in the C-segment hands down. It's the best bang for the buck in terms of quality, technology, and even performance. It's barely outperformed by the Mazda3, but is leaps and bounds ahead of it in interior quality and technology.

It feels much more substantial though, I absolutely love it and I find myself volunteering to drive now, because I just love to drive the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts