Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My new Ford Focus died yesterday. All of a sudden it stopped shifting to higher gears. I pulled into a parking lot, shut it off and turned it back on and then shifted into the "S" mode hoping to manually shift it so I could drive home. It bucked just like a manual transmission that had a clutch popped out with no gas, then the Check Engine light came on and I bucked to the next parking lot about 40 feet ahead. I shut it off and tried to turn it on. Then all the electrical things came on - radio, lights, etc. but the engine wouldn't start. Not even a click. The car was towed to the dealer. They ran diagnostics on it and the diagnostics stated that the car can't shift out of 1st gear, but they can't figure out why. They are sending the diagnostics report to Ford support. Any ideas of what's happening?! I am furious and disappointed I bought a Ford.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi,

My new Ford Focus died yesterday. All of a sudden it stopped shifting to higher gears. I pulled into a parking lot, shut it off and turned it back on and then shifted into the "S" mode hoping to manually shift it so I could drive home. It bucked just like a manual transmission that had a clutch popped out with no gas, then the Check Engine light came on and I bucked to the next parking lot about 40 feet ahead. I shut it off and tried to turn it on. Then all the electrical things came on - radio, lights, etc. but the engine wouldn't start. Not even a click. The car was towed to the dealer. They ran diagnostics on it and the diagnostics stated that the car can't shift out of 1st gear, but they can't figure out why. They are sending the diagnostics report to Ford support. Any ideas of what's happening?! I am furious and disappointed I bought a Ford.
Sucks you had to have this happen to you, I don't blame you for being upset. From an objective perspective I'd try to be patient and let the dealer do what they do. No sense getting all worked up before anyone has a chance to figure out what's going on here. Hell, for all you know a squirrel may have chewed up a bunch of wires. Maybe your car has a legitimate issue as well.

I know how frustrating it is to spend so much money on something to have it act up so soon... but it doesn't matter what you spend - any item whether custom or mass produced can fail unpredictably. The thing about unpredictable failures is.....well......they can't be predicted.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Let them try to fix it. This is what the warranty is for.
Also, keep us updated, it's good to see what problems occur and the resulting solutions for future reference.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi,

My new Ford Focus died yesterday. All of a sudden it stopped shifting to higher gears They are sending the diagnostics report to Ford support.
Hello mchlsprr,

I know it must be upsetting to have issues on such a new vehicle. Please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help get your Focus back on the road. I'm sure once it is home, your satisfaction in Ford will be restored. Have a good evening!

~Natasha

·
Registered
37 Posts
It seems that the new Ford Focus is going to be a real problem. I just saw on the news that the Focus didn't sell nearly as many units as the other cars in the same class. Ford better own up to this & fix these problems or it will kick them in the rear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update on Tranny issue

I'm mchlsprr's spouse, and I talked to the customer service manager today. It seems that the transmission is stuck between first and second. The dealer said that the 2012 Focus is a so new, their techs are yet trained on how to thoroughly diagnose this problem. They have been working with Ford's internal support system to diagnose the problem and they were still not able to come up with a likely cause. Given this situation, Ford has decided to expedite out a replacement and they say the car should be fixed on Friday. They also mentioned that Ford engineering is sending a crate for the old parts for failure analysis. We'll see how things turn out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Given this situation, Ford has decided to expedite out a replacement and they say the car should be fixed on Friday. They also mentioned that Ford engineering is sending a crate for the old parts for failure analysis. We'll see how things turn out.
That's great news! Its an unfortunate situation, but I think it shows that Ford definitely cares.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update, The Focus is still at the dealer, the car is all put back together but the dealer does not have the correct software for the new modules. They are waiting for the factory/engineering to send them the software. Maybe Natasha can poke [poke] the factory and see what the story is.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
They are waiting for the factory/engineering to send them the software. Maybe Natasha can poke [poke] the factory and see what the story is.
Hi torch,

That's what I'm here for! I poked around [poke] for some info, and it is an emergency order, with an ETA of tomorrow. If you want more specific details, feel free to PM me. [:)] Can't wait to get your Focus back on the road!

~Natasha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ford Focus Still not Fixed!!

Hi,

We finally got our 2012 Ford Focus back from the dealer last Friday after being in the shop for 7 business days. They replaced the TCM (transmission control module) and the Powertrain control module, updated software, etc. The car still idled very roughly and didn't always seem to want to shift out of 3rd gear now. (I guess that's better than getting stuck in 1st.) So, it went back to the dealer on Monday. Now, "Ford engineers" are there looking at the car and we might get it back next Monday. Meanwhile, we can't get a straight answer about what is actually wrong with it - ie is this a new problem or the same old one that hasn't yet been fixed? We bought this vehicle for commuting to Boston. The fear of the car possibly not wanting to shift out of gears while I'm on a busy street in Boston is making me want to drive it less and less. I have nightmares about being stuck in the middle of Comm Ave with cars and a T train bearing down on me. My 8 year old Toyota minivan is looking like a much more dependable vehicle. It's a pain to park, but at least it has never left me sitting anywhere not wanting to shift and then not starting. I guess I'm now just counting down the days until we can invoke the MA Lemon Law and possibly get a new vehicle. Right now, I'd just like our money back and I'll find a different car - a Toyota Prius is looking better and better!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. I had a no start happen with my 2012 last Saturday. After a PCM program and a TCM program it is now hopefully fixed (I have yet to drive it) but at least the check engine light is not coming back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope yours drives better now! Did the dealer ever tell you exactly why it didn't start or what caused the problem? We're getting the feeling that things are just being replaced hoping that the problem goes away. It makes a person a little nervous.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
We finally got our 2012 Ford Focus back from the dealer last Friday after being in the shop for 7 business days. They replaced the TCM (transmission control module) and the Powertrain control module, updated software, etc. The car still idled very roughly and didn't always seem to want to shift out of 3rd gear now.
Hi mchlsprr,

I'm sorry to learn you are still having issues. I reviewed the case notes, and it appears they are actively working to resolve your shifting issues. I know this has been trying, so I appreciate the patience you & your husband have shown.

After a PCM program and a TCM program it is now hopefully fixed (I have yet to drive it) but at least the check engine light is not coming back on.
Hey ABFORDGUY,

I'm glad the dealer was able to fix your Focus! Let me know if you have any questions. [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
267 Posts
I hope yours drives better now! Did the dealer ever tell you exactly why it didn't start or what caused the problem? We're getting the feeling that things are just being replaced hoping that the problem goes away. It makes a person a little nervous.
No Idea what caused the failure, and hopefully it doesn't happen again. No parts were replaced "hoping the problem goes away" It was all in the programming of the PCM and TCM. I don't mind being a guinea pig for these types of things. It is well worth it to have one of the newest, best looking (imo), and technologically advanced car on the road. I would much rather go through a few software/programming issues then the complete mechanical failure of parts.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I don't mind being a guinea pig for these types of things. It is well worth it to have one of the newest, best looking (imo), and technologically advanced car on the road.
I love your positive outlook. Have a good weekend with your Focus!

~Natasha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update to shift problem

The dealer has been working with Ford engineers to correct the problem. The latest repair is to fix a sticking clutch. This makes sense when given the symptoms. The dealer had the car reassembled last Friday, and is now waiting for a Ford engineer to come inspect the work. Hopefully the engineer will show up today or we will have to send Natasha [gunfire] to clear things up.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
The dealer has been working with Ford engineers to correct the problem. The latest repair is to fix a sticking clutch. This makes sense when given the symptoms. The dealer had the car reassembled last Friday, and is now waiting for a Ford engineer to come inspect the work. Hopefully the engineer will show up today or we will have to send Natasha [gunfire] to clear things up.
Hey torch!

Thanks for the update! I responded to your PM a few minutes ago, but I just had to say I love your emoticon for me! LOL!

~Natasha

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I love your positive outlook. Have a good weekend with your Focus!

~Natasha

..... stock holders and employees love you even more .......

I cringe when unfamiliar work is done on major assemblies of a vehicle. Anyone remember the days when YOU did that first repair and had a few parts left over or didn't FEEL like rerouting/hooking everything back up? Separating the engine from the transaxle already....... eh.

......It kinda makes small things contract and gravitate to the 'larger' body..... The guys will know what I mean - lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts