Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I recently (Tuesday) traded in a 2011 Focus S for the 2012 SE.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the car with one notable exception: the stereo system.

The sound seems very muffled, and is not very loud. I can easily turn the stereo up to the max and it still doesn't sound very loud (compared to the 2011 model).

In my 2011, songs that had loud bass would shake my side mirrors. Nothing of that sort with the new car. The speakers themselves are not blown, it just seems like the clarity, bass ability and overall decibel level leave something to be desired.

Is anyone else having this issue?[dunno]

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Does you car have the mykey feature? Maybe it is set up to prevent the stereo to go loud. You can controll stuff like that with the mykey. Just a thought... hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I recently (Tuesday) traded in a 2011 Focus S for the 2012 SE.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the car with one notable exception: the stereo system.

The sound seems very muffled, and is not very loud. I can easily turn the stereo up to the max and it still doesn't sound very loud (compared to the 2011 model).

In my 2011, songs that had loud bass would shake my side mirrors. Nothing of that sort with the new car. The speakers themselves are not blown, it just seems like the clarity, bass ability and overall decibel level leave something to be desired.

Is anyone else having this issue?[dunno]
Mine is the same way. Although it can still get very loud, i feel like it can be a lot more and use those speakers/amp/sub to it's full capacity.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well I dont own a 2012 but I do remember seeing on here that at a certain point the bass wont get any louder but the mids and highs will do to a protection feature for the speakers

·
Registered
542 Posts
Stop speakers sucked on my 09 SE. Replaced them with some nice, Polk Audio speakers and it made a world of difference. I would expect the stock speakers to suck unless you got the Sony audio system....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turned off MyKey...

So the MyKey feature was turned ON, I turned it off and that did help...but not much.

The speakers are louder, but the sound is still muffled, in comparison to the 2011.

The thing is, my 2011 would get many more lower bass frequencies. My girlfriend drives a 2010, and her speakers sound better than mine as well.

It's very disappointing. At this point, I'm just thinking about getting a singe 10 (I don't want a huge amount of bass, I just want to hear all of the frequencies) and using the stock system just for tweets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First thing i always do is upgrade the speakers and amp. For good quality a TRU Billet amlifier or Hellix is amazing. Sundown also makes really good stuff. Stay away from mainstream stuff like Fosgate,Kicker..etc, its quantity over quality with them.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^If you got that kind of money that's cool.

ZED and Zuki are very good choices too.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Stereos need to break in too! Especially the bass.
I would suggest playing some music with solid bass content pretty loud for at least a total of 20 hours before saying it sucked or not, to loosen up the speakers.
From an audiophile. (my home stereo DOES cost more than my new car....)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Stereos need to break in too! Especially the bass.
I would suggest playing some music with solid bass content pretty loud for at least a total of 20 hours before saying it sucked or not, to loosen up the speakers.
From an audiophile. (my home stereo DOES cost more than my new car....)
I was going to post that I was unimpressed so far as well. I guess I'll break it in for a few weeks before I decide what upgrades it needs (if any). Although I suppose I could still just do a sub for now. Feature-wise, I've been very impressed with the head unit though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
First thing i always do is upgrade the speakers and amp. For good quality a TRU Billet amlifier or Hellix is amazing. Sundown also makes really good stuff. Stay away from mainstream stuff like Fosgate,Kicker..etc, its quantity over quality with them.

if he's looking to get his chest crushed THEN id go with the sundown stuff. mainstream companies will work nicely for what he's looking for. kicker makes good entry level subs to get the full range of frequencies. id stay away from companies like KOLE, SPL, Power Acoustik, BOSS..etc, its crap, crap, and more crap with those companies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts