Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any word on who's developing one and when it'll be released? My other car is a Saab 93 with a 2.0 turbo, and I feel like the Focus would be way more fun with a little boost.

Now before I here any "you should have waited for the ST [email protected]$$" let me explain something. If we bought the ST we'd probably end up wanting a better turbo, intercooler, charge piping, ecu tune, etc... by buying an SE sport 5MT we can avoid paying for the OEM stuff that we'd end up upgrading.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
No idea about the kit. But, i do know what you mean about wanting a turbo. I work on SAAB's and after driving any of them my car just feels slow.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The advantage of starting with a factory turbo is the bottom end of the engine will have been put together with stronger parts ultimately letting you increase the power much higher than adding a turbo kit to a NA motor.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The advantage of starting with a factory turbo is the bottom end of the engine will have been put together with stronger parts ultimately letting you increase the power much higher than adding a turbo kit to a NA motor.
True, but I'm confident that our motor can safely make 225+whp on its stock internals.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, it will take it w/o a problem. i think topspeed is fabbing one up. i'm not sure if Tom is or not.

on a side note, i have heard rumors that ford has torture tested the ST motor, holding around 25 psi and 450+ dyno hp!!! though i don't know what turbo it was on.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is anyone aware any internal differences between the ST and SE motors? I wonder if there are any, and if there are, how big they are.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know this thread is pretty well dead. But does anyone have any new info on this?

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
both tom and topspeed are at a stand still till tuning for these vehicles become availible.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
both tom and topspeed are at a stand still till tuning for these vehicles become availible.
I'm getting really used to wringing the most out of my 160hp SE 5MT... it's like they say "more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow"

Still looking forward to some boost in the future! Something about effortlessly passing people without having to scream to redline appeals to me in a big way.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
TURBO ZX3
8,746 Posts
There's a video on youtube for the sema show where these ford geeks took the new 2012 four doorhatch and they with the help of cosworth fabricated their own turbo kit. Ill find that link. It was brilliant what they did with that car

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
I sort of doubt you'll do it without changing pistons, and probably rods too. It is a 12:1 comp ratio engine.
Yes, that is the static compression. But with the VCT on both cams, the dynamic compression is actually (or can be made through tuining) lower. The DI helps. Not sure how far the stock DI injectors will go beyond the stock power requirements....

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Yes, that is the static compression. But with the VCT on both cams, the dynamic compression is actually (or can be made through tuining) lower. The DI helps. Not sure how far the stock DI injectors will go beyond the stock power requirements....
Yep, DI can typically handle higher compression and if the injectors for the MS3 are any indicator, the Focus ones will hopefully support 250whp. Might need a CDFP (cam driven fuel pump) upgrade like the Mazda guys, though, unless Ford considered that and made it more robust. MS3 injectors support a little over 400whp and stock is 240whp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts