Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my defective 2012 DPS6 transmission with a used 2014 DPS6 tranny. I went to Ford parts and they said the two years are the same transmission. If I do so will I have to have it re-programmed by a Ford Dealer or will the replaced transmission sync with the onboard computer and function properly?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wouldn't even chance not having it reprogrammed and go through the relearn procedure, if not you will ruin the clutch and maybe the trans for sure. Does the used trans have a warranty?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that's what I thought but wanted some else's opinion. I am not sure on the warranty the trans will be out of a wrecked Focus with only 15,000 miles on it.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
He was referring to J/Y warranty I'm sure, to cover whether it functions at all.

When the trans IN the car is serviced the relearn is necessary to start off with, no way to know if the one from another car is ANYWHERE close to the one being replaced so it would necessarily need programming to work well enough to drive (fine tune itself later).

Drop it in and cross fingers, might work & might not. Take your chances that way.

·
Registered
374 Posts
30 feet or 30 seconds whichever comes first lol. if you know someone with an IDS that's an option too, not sure if the snap on tools can perform the relearn. It sets the clutch gap and adjusts the shift motors, don't just drop it in and hope for the best this is one of those things that needs the relearn and there is no easy way around it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with this car. Took it to Ford they said the transmission comes up as fine even though it has a grinding noise on the downshift between 4th and 3rd.(Or its not within their parameters of extended warranty repair) I am trying to figure out if a swap will even work because Ford wants $3500 to fix the transmission and I can get a used one for $650, but I don't want to waste $650 plus time and misc. other $$ if it won't work.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Little late to the party, but a 2014 will work in the 2012. Also, any indy shop with an up-to-date snap on scanner can do the relearn procedure for you. Snap on just came out with the up date.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dual PowerShift Manual Alternative

I have a 2012 focus SEL with the dual PowerShift Manual 6 speed transmission and have had a ton of problems with clutch shudder. Are there alternative transmissions to put in the 2012 focus that don't have the 2 dry clutches? I have no problem putting in something high performance but not sure what the alternative options are. I've had the TCM replaced and I've been told that it has the latest programming, but I continue to have problems and my last resort is finding a different kind of trans. Thoughts?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
The only bolt in replacement that's proven to work (but not a REAL simple change) is to swap to a 5-spd MTX-75 as used in the manual versions - even the older models can be updated to work in the MkIII with a different shift assy that connects to the newer type cables.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts