Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it seems the dual clutch transmission on my mom's 2012 Focus has decided it has had enough. Earlier today she had driven 40 something odd miles on the highway and said that she hasn't had any issues. However tonight, we had to drive those 40 something odd miles again to pick someone up and the transmission fails to stay in gear. Acceleration sounded strange.. the car had no get-up and it slams hard when it tries to shift from 1st to 2nd.. I think the other gears were gone too. Sport mode no longer engages and there is NO warning lights in the dash. Car only has 53,000 miles. I urged her to take it back home, so we limped it home and drove my 05 ZX3 instead.

Prior to all this transmission nonsense, I had taken the car to Ford (Possibly in March? It was March or April) because I was very concerned at the transmission's performance. They pretty much looked it at it for like 20 minutes then sent me on my way with a paper explaining how a DCT works, claiming it'll shift roughly and or grind while in low speeds. That much I do understand however, I know how it works and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to fall out of gear while accelerating. The clutches are probably toast.

I'm thinking of taking it in tomorrow morning, but first I need to see if it still has a warranty.. I'm really not sure where to go from here. I don't know if I can afford repairs on this thing. I really hate that this had to happen to a perfectly good car. I swear if they give us any problems I'll probably see if I can convince my mom to trade it towards a 2016 or another car if that's possible.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
You're still within power train warranty at that mileage/time I assume, unless bought early 2011.

Even if out by time, there are extended warranties listed at the top here on clutches/seals/programming and separately the TCM that go for longer time/mileage periods.

Sudden not shifting usually ends up the TCM (transmission control module) that's a quicker fix since it's external to the trans..

Look at 14M01 for the clutches etc. & 14M02 for the TCM at the top of the page.

C

·
0 Posts
wish you luck with the dealer and hope you do get it fixed, if you do decide to replace the car my own dealer has a pair of 16's down with DCT issues both clutches,
I had a 2013 finally got to where the wife and I couldn't handle it being at the dealer every week, we just got our self's a 2017 hyundai elentra and doubt we will look back,
still have our 2015 escape whose automatic trans ford should be using in the focus in it's 2 x4 form

·
Registered
497 Posts
So it seems the dual clutch transmission on my mom's 2012 Focus has decided it has had enough. Earlier today she had driven 40 something odd miles on the highway and said that she hasn't had any issues. However tonight, we had to drive those 40 something odd miles again to pick someone up and the transmission fails to stay in gear. Acceleration sounded strange.. the car had no get-up and it slams hard when it tries to shift from 1st to 2nd.. I think the other gears were gone too. Sport mode no longer engages and there is NO warning lights in the dash. Car only has 53,000 miles. I urged her to take it back home, so we limped it home and drove my 05 ZX3 instead.

Prior to all this transmission nonsense, I had taken the car to Ford (Possibly in March? It was March or April) because I was very concerned at the transmission's performance. They pretty much looked it at it for like 20 minutes then sent me on my way with a paper explaining how a DCT works, claiming it'll shift roughly and or grind while in low speeds. That much I do understand however, I know how it works and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to fall out of gear while accelerating. The clutches are probably toast.

I'm thinking of taking it in tomorrow morning, but first I need to see if it still has a warranty.. I'm really not sure where to go from here. I don't know if I can afford repairs on this thing. I really hate that this had to happen to a perfectly good car. I swear if they give us any problems I'll probably see if I can convince my mom to trade it towards a 2016 or another car if that's possible.
Your talking about a 2016 Fusion or 2016 escape right? No reason to put your lovely mother back in another DCT Focus no matter the year. If anything have her check out the 2016 Focus 1.0 ecoboost. It has your everyday normal automatic in it. No jerking or shuddering.

But as said above. Your still in the warranty period if you need clutches or the tcm.

·
Registered
314 Posts
This looks like a TCM failure - it is odd that you have no warnings on your instrument panel cluster. Did they update the software when you were in a couple months ago? They were supposed to, so that the system will warn you sufficiently and store relevant diagnostic codes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your talking about a 2016 Fusion or 2016 escape right? No reason to put your lovely mother back in another DCT Focus no matter the year. If anything have her check out the 2016 Focus 1.0 ecoboost. It has your everyday normal automatic in it. No jerking or shuddering.

But as said above. Your still in the warranty period if you need clutches or the tcm.
If it were up to me I'd talk her into an older cheaper model like my 05, but she jumped from a 2000 Focus to a 2012. Maybe she'll like an Escape better.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

C

·
0 Posts
If it were up to me I'd talk her into an older cheaper model like my 05, but she jumped from a 2000 Focus to a 2012. Maybe she'll like an Escape better.

Sent from my N9132 using FF Mobile
just stay away from a 13 or 14 with the 1.6 ecoboost the 2.0 is way better gets the same mpgs from more hp.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This looks like a TCM failure - it is odd that you have no warnings on your instrument panel cluster. Did they update the software when you were in a couple months ago? They were supposed to, so that the system will warn you sufficiently and store relevant diagnostic codes.
You know what, I don't think they did anything with the software.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Took car in today. Left it with them overnight.

Today my mom shoots me a text and says the car is ready, though I won't know what they did till tomorrow as I am at college today and wont be off till 8pm.

As long as they did SOMETHING, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I am happy! Got the car back. They waived all fees. They replaced TCM and reprogrammed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts