Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Focus drivers! I have a 2012 Focus SEL hatchback that I have really liked so far, I bought it new and it has about 91K miles on it now. Yeah for work I do a lot of driving... anyway earlier this year Ford issued a recall on the trans because of stuttering on start-up. So since mine did this ( I got used to it over the years) I took it in to my local dealer in Kent, WA and they performed the procedure per the recall. I noticed that after a couple weeks the problem seemed to not have gone away at all so I called the dealership and explained that I need to bring it back. I got an appointment but in the mean time I was on a business trip in Bellingham about 100 miles away when the car all of a sudden started dying on me and wouldn't go over 20 mph. I limped into the local dealership there in Bellingham and they replaced the entire Transmission Control Module, costing me a whopping $1200 to get my car out of hawk, not including the rental I had to get because they had to order the part. Now the ironic thing is that the original problem with stuttering on takeoff is now gone so the new TCM fixed the original problem of the recall. When I bought my car two years ago I added the extended service plan to 75K miles so it really wasn't all that far out of warranty but the recall had no mileage limit on it anyway. I appealed to Ford Customer Service because I felt that they should at least meet me part way on this because the service that I paid for fixed their recall issue. I was told under no uncertain terms that they won't cover that service bill at all, no explanation, do not pass GO, etc. Tough luck for you... I took the part to my local dealer and asked him what he thought, he told me that I was not the first case like this and there were several out-of-warranty TCM failures. My question here is has anyone else had this problem? I am wondering if I am just a case of "Oh well a couple months out of warranty and you are toast" or is it that Ford is sweeping a major defect under the rug??

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkIII TSB, Recall & Problems section where you can find more info..

The "shuddering" recall you mention was actually a "customer satisfaction program", that extended warranty on programming, clutch shaft seals & clutch pack only. 8? yrs/100,000 miles on that.

The recent problem with the TCM is one we see less often, but as you found out it's a more serious issue. Often goes away with a reset by shutting off & restarting the car, but if it reoccurs frequently it can be a real issue to get fixed as often there are no codes or other signs until it happens again.

That unit is actually covered by the emissions warranty as a second part of the ECU/TCM system, that extends to 80,000 miles so you were out of coverage by ~ 11,000.

Replacing that would also involve fresh programming & relearning of the clutch engagement points as part of the installation (continues to adjust for a while after you start driving it, fresh clutches do quite a bit through 1,000 miles & it continues all the time as clutches wear). Sounds like the second time was the charm as far as having the latest programming & a good relearning process complete.

Not much help, but at least a little more info. for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Reading stuff like this really makes me mad.... dude, FORD can go straight to hell with this garbage.... I wish ya luck bud, that's ridiculous.... this has to stop... these transmissions are flat out unacceptable and there is no sugarcoating it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Sailor. I learned a whole lot more from you than I did from the so called "Customer Service" rep at Ford Motor Co. She so much as told me to go pound sand and I promised her that I would not buy another Ford again. I am sorry but I am pretty bitter about this. As soon as it is paid off I will seek out a good Japanese auto...I have always bought American and I have been driving since 1965 but this takes the cake. I feel that Mr. Ford is getting a little too arrogant in his old age...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
We get some good info. from a lot of people on here, and seeing many reports helps put the pieces together as well as anyone but Ford Corporate can do.

Hate to say it, but having that fail cleanly & stay broken could have saved you some grief. When they goof up intermittently & don't show any recorded problems it's NOT a cheap enough part to just try in the hope of a solution. (and there are other problems that can mimic it - simplest is just intermittent loss of a ground connection)

Research anything you might be interested in these days, tech. is changing so fast to try & meet new standards plus stay ahead in the current gadget wars that many things have similar teething troubles (some more expensive).

Cheers

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks, Sailor. I learned a whole lot more from you than I did from the so called "Customer Service" rep at Ford Motor Co. She so much as told me to go pound sand and I promised her that I would not buy another Ford again. I am sorry but I am pretty bitter about this. As soon as it is paid off I will seek out a good Japanese auto...I have always bought American and I have been driving since 1965 but this takes the cake. I feel that Mr. Ford is getting a little too arrogant in his old age...
The poor quality of Ford's customer service seems to be a recurring theme. I know that my personal experience was absolutely terrible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts