Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new Titanium Hatchback this weekend (woohoo!) and right off the bat noticed that something was awry (boo!) - the Message Center screen is fixed on the Trip Odometer view and none of the corresponding navigation buttons on the left side of the steering wheel are working. The odd thing is that the screen I am stuck with is not frozen per-say - the miles are ticking off, temperature updating, everything seems to be working. The issue is that I can not control it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have searched the interwebs pretty extensively for a similar situation to no avail. Given the functionality of the screen it is stuck on, I am hypothesizing that the issue may lie with the steering wheel controls (bad wiring?). Any thoughts on self-correcting this issue? I thought I might pull out any fuses that seem applicable (67, 69, 72, 79) to see if that might reset something that is malfunctioning. I thought I would toss it out here to see if there were any opinions before I throw in the towel and take my new baby to the dealer for service after two short days of ownership.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to contributing more to this site once my issues are dealt with!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Did you notice it right when you picked it up or shortly thereafter? I pick up my new Focus in "two weeks" I hope I don't have any of these so called issues. I'm going over my car bumper to bumper with a fine tooth comb before I leave their lot!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually noticed it when initially inspecting the car with the dealer. The circumstances were such that it didnt make sense for me to delay pickup on what seemed to be (hopefully) a minor issue. I know, I know - but I purchased from a friend of mine who works for a Ford dealership owned by his family in Ohio, and the logistics would have been fairly stressful to re-schedule another trip from Charlotte. Believe me, if I had ordered/purchased locally, that issue would have to have been fixed before I accepted delivery.

As an update, I did attempt removing/re-installing all the fuses I mentioned previously to no avail. Looks like its the local dealer service center for me [?|].

·
Sonic's MK3 Crew #14
2,026 Posts
Problem with the Message Center

I had the same problem with mine when i picked it up last week. I noticed it at the dealership and they took it in the back and reset it in about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is great news! Hopefully it will be a quick fix then. Thanks for the reply, now I can focus on just being infatuated with my new ride. [cheers]

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
the Message Center screen is fixed on the Trip Odometer view and none of the corresponding navigation buttons on the left side of the steering wheel are working.
Hi MilNicks!

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new Focus! You definitely have the right idea of bringing it to your local dealer so they can fix it and restore your infatuation. [:D] I am here if you have any questions.

I pick up my new Focus in "two weeks" I hope I don't have any of these so called issues. I'm going over my car bumper to bumper with a fine tooth comb before I leave their lot!
wilsonfocus86,

I agree, you should inspect it first so any concerns are documented and corrected. Not too much longer until your Focus arrives! [:)]

I had the same problem with mine when i picked it up last week. I noticed it at the dealership and they took it in the back and reset it in about 5 minutes.
Hey MotorcityJAX,

I'm glad the service was very quick. Thanks for posting your experience!

~Natasha

·
Registered
13 Posts
MilNicks:

I took delvy on my Titanium Hatchback this past weekend, as well. Though not the issue you described, I did experience a problem with the compass going haywire on the NAV screen, thereby affecting the guidance instructions. The problem was resolved after a hard reset of the system by removing the applicable fuse for 5-10 minutes.

Otherwise, it's been a true pleasure to drive, and, hopefully, once you have the dealer resolve the communication linkage, it'll be smooth sailing from that point. Good luck and keep us updated on the outcome.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
MilNicks:

I took delvy on my Titanium Hatchback this past weekend, as well. Though not the issue you described, I did experience a problem with the compass going haywire on the NAV screen, thereby affecting the guidance instructions. The problem was resolved after a hard reset of the system by removing the applicable fuse for 5-10 minutes.
Hi Briard1!

It's great that your issue was resolved quickly as well. Enjoy your new Focus!

~Natasha

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Briard1!

It's great that your issue was resolved quickly as well. Enjoy your new Focus!

~Natasha
Thank you, Natasha. The question remains how reliable/unstable the system is, and if I'm going to be inconvenienced again by having to sandwich myself in the passenger footwell to remove and then reinstall the fuses. Let's hope not.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thank you, Natasha. The question remains how reliable/unstable the system is, and if I'm going to be inconvenienced again by having to sandwich myself in the passenger footwell to remove and then reinstall the fuses. Let's hope not.
My pleasure, Briard1. Jaclyn, who is on our In-Vehicle technology team, posts on this forum as FordIVTteam. If you continue to have concerns, she will be in the best position to assist.

~Natasha

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ford customer service

This is my first time to check out this forum and was very pleased to see the responses from Natasha to the various problems some are having with the new Focus. It's fantastic to see someone from Ford involved in a forum like this and caring enough to reply to these concerns. Thank you Natasha and keep up the great work! Customer satisfaction is extremely important to maintain brand loyalty. By the way, I traded in my "09 SES four months ago for a 2012 SE hatchback and I love it! I really liked my '09, but this new focus is in an entirely different league! Great job, Ford!!!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I purchased from a friend of mine who works for a Ford dealership owned by his family in Ohio, and the logistics would have been fairly stressful to re-schedule another trip from Charlotte. ..... Looks like its the local dealer service center for me [?|].
Yes, just so nobody else who reads this thread is confused- you do not have to service your vehicle at the same dealership as the car is purchased. Do not delay taking your car in for any issues. Find the nearest Ford dealer. In other respects, if you don't like the service you get at one dealer, then go to another one before you contact someone like Natasha. Please take the car in no matter what because with new run cars, things happen that are unforseen- parts manufacturing defects, software conflicts, etc. By taking the car in for problems you're assisting Ford in determining the causes, and an effective fix of X issue, no matter how minor, for all customers.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
This is my first time to check out this forum and was very pleased to see the responses from Natasha to the various problems some are having with the new Focus. It's fantastic to see someone from Ford involved in a forum like this and caring enough to reply to these concerns. Thank you Natasha and keep up the great work! Customer satisfaction is extremely important to maintain brand loyalty. By the way, I traded in my "09 SES four months ago for a 2012 SE hatchback and I love it! I really liked my '09, but this new focus is in an entirely different league! Great job, Ford!!!
Thank you very much for the terrific feedback, hoch7! It is truly appreciated. [:)]

Yes, just so nobody else who reads this thread is confused- you do not have to service your vehicle at the same dealership as the car is purchased. Do not delay taking your car in for any issues. Find the nearest Ford dealer. In other respects, if you don't like the service you get at one dealer, then go to another one before you contact someone like Natasha. Please take the car in no matter what because with new run cars, things happen that are unforseen- parts manufacturing defects, software conflicts, etc. By taking the car in for problems you're assisting Ford in determining the causes, and an effective fix of X issue, no matter how minor, for all customers.
whynotthinkwhynot is absolutely correct. While your selling dealer would like to meet your service needs, the most important factor is your convenience, and I am here to help with any concerns. [:)]

~Natasha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts