Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand it the heated mirrors are to heat when the rear defroster is on. Both of my mirrors never even get warm. The rear window warms up nicely. Is this common?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Never physically touched them to confirm heat but they do clear the surface of condensation or frost rather quick. My issue is that max defrost while turning front & rear on only rarely turns the fan speed to its highest setting. Dealer told me is it a function of engine temp, however if that is the case when it does turn fans speed to high it then is a fault instead of the desired function.

·
Registered
724 Posts
As far as i know setting the vent position to defrost is not linked ti the fan, you will have to increase the fan speed manually. That is the way my SEL works.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I hit the Max Defrost, the vents are set super high at the windshield and the rear defroster goes on. I've never tried hitting it again to see of the settings would go back to the previous air flow. Will give it a try today.

This is what the manual says:

2. MAX: (Max Defrost): Distributes outside air through the
windshield defroster vents and demister vents. Can be used to clear the
windshield of fog and thin ice. Press this button again to return to the
previous air flow selection.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Never felt the mirror itself but after that Snowtober, I do in fact know they work as I was cleaning the snow and ice off my car the day after.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As I stated above my issue is the fan speed not where the flow comes from. That is working properly but the fan speed does not change from where it was previously set. Using max ac everything works as expected, min temp, flow from dash vents and fan to high. Max defrost button changes flow, temp but only very rarely does it increase fan speed.

Hitting either switch does return flow, temp and fan speed to previous state of settings.

This issue ranks right up there for me of the 11 differing issues I have had with the MFT, almost 6 months of ownership and 169 events worth documenting in the 11 issues. Think I should be more ticked off about this cars electronics but I still expect Ford to fix it someday. First Ford in over a decade and bought this and a 11 F150 3 weeks after the Focus. Much fewer issues with the truck however still not a worry free new vehicle.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The mirrors won't have a big heating element attached because they should only have to do limited work seeing they're protected and vertical. Should be simply to keep them from freezing over while driving.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I hit the Max Defrost, the vents are set super high at the windshield and the rear defroster goes on. I've never tried hitting it again to see of the settings would go back to the previous air flow. Will give it a try today.

This is what the manual says:

2. MAX: (Max Defrost): Distributes outside air through the
windshield defroster vents and demister vents. Can be used to clear the
windshield of fog and thin ice. Press this button again to return to the
previous air flow selection.
I apologize and correct myself. Only when the fans are completely shut off that when I hit the Max Defrost will it go to the super high vent settings. If the vents are currently on and I hit the Max Defrost, the vent settings change but not the fan speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts