Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need some winter tires. Gonna go with 16's.

My dealer quoted me 995, that is rims, wheels, sensors, and installation and sensor adjustments.

I was just gonna shop around a little more. Any suggestions? I think my dealer said it was just plain black rims, doesnt bother me too much but if I can pick up something a little more appealing than ugly black rims for around the same price elsewhere, that would be nice.

I mean ya, its winter time, but why cant my car still look somewhat nice?

BTW, I live in Ontario Canada. It can get pretty nasty here in the winter, so I need something with awesome grip. I have 18 low profiles right now, with the sports suspension package. Not sure if that makes a difference in my selection.

Been searching the Canadian Tire store, looking at different brands but I am not sure which are the favoured brands and which I should stay away from.

Edit: Tire codes would be nice, not sure which work for mine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You're welcome to check my website TireRack.com since we can ship directly to Canada and we've got some awesome stuff. Just keep in mind that we would collect the duties, taxes, brokerage...etc when we do so. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're welcome to check my website TireRack.com since we can ship directly to Canada and we've got some awesome stuff. Just keep in mind that we would collect the duties, taxes, brokerage...etc when we do so. Let me know if I can help.
Your site looks nice and all, but what about installation/sensor adjustments. Im going from 18's, so I will need the sensors to be adjusted for 16's.

Plus I just searched your website by vehicle, and it only suggests 17's or 18's. I want 16 winters.

Double plus, I need suggestions for what type of winter tires are best. I have no idea which brands are preferred for a 2012 Titanium.

And i'll need rims. Still trying to decide on plain black steel rims, or going with some decent looking alloy rims. I dont want to break the bank, but I also bought this car to look nice as well, and winter is a regular part of Canada, so I want my car to look nice all year round.

If I could pick up some real nice winter tires with some decent looking alloy rims for no more than 1200, I would be happy.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I just referred you! HAHA. You guys are great though. Bought some OZ rims over 4 years ago and the quality of service was excellent from online ordering to front door shipping [thumb][thumb]

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Your site looks nice and all, but what about installation/sensor adjustments. Im going from 18's, so I will need the sensors to be adjusted for 16's.

Plus I just searched your website by vehicle, and it only suggests 17's or 18's. I want 16 winters.

Double plus, I need suggestions for what type of winter tires are best. I have no idea which brands are preferred for a 2012 Titanium.

And i'll need rims. Still trying to decide on plain black steel rims, or going with some decent looking alloy rims. I dont want to break the bank, but I also bought this car to look nice as well, and winter is a regular part of Canada, so I want my car to look nice all year round.

If I could pick up some real nice winter tires with some decent looking alloy rims for no more than 1200, I would be happy.
When you are inputing your vehicle info, pick a focus model that came stock with 16's, so pick a lower model(not titanium) and it will show you 16" wheels. They should still fit fine

·
Registered
45 Posts
When you are inputing your vehicle info, pick a focus model that came stock with 16's, so pick a lower model(not titanium) and it will show you 16" wheels. They should still fit fine
You don't have to do that anymore. Miles changed it.

All wheel sizes will show now, even for our 18" Titaniums.

I'm about to order a set myself. 15" steelies with General Altimax

Arctic 195/65-15s for $650.(No sensors) Consumer Reports rated

these tires one of the best.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't have to do that anymore. Miles changed it.

All wheel sizes will show now, even for our 18" Titaniums.

I'm about to order a set myself. 15" steelies with General Altimax

Arctic 195/65-15s for $650.(No sensors) Consumer Reports rated

these tires one of the best.
Would 15s fit over the disc brakes?

whats the main advantage of 15s over 16s aside from price?

Going from 18s Im leaning more towards 16's

·
Registered
241 Posts
Although I could have gone with 15's, I think they look too small on such an aerodynamic car. I went with 205/60R16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires ($107 ea on TireRack.com, plus shipping). I had to call them to buy the TPMS sensors, which were $42 each. Rather than use the set of 16" steel wheels/hubcaps I had leftover after installing Volvo XC90 wheels (for the factory all-season tires), I sold that set and bought 16x6" OEM rims for a 2007 Ford Taurus for the WS70's. I figure having OEM rims from different cars ties in nicely with the global theme of the 2012 Focus!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tumdance, the reason you are only seeing 17'' and 18'' options is because you're clicking the "Wheels" link when you're doing the shopping. Instead click "Winter" and all of the minus-sized options will be available.

Thanks for the reference wilson! You da man!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if I were to buy that sensor reset tool, I could set my car so it knows it has 16's instead of 18's right? For only 45?

My dealer is quoting me 80 to install and balance, 40 to fill nitro (although I thought they told me I got free nitro), and 20 for a sensor reset.

So if I wanted the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 Blackwall, with 16x7.5 Sports Edition CD Silver alloy rims, along with sensors and valve stems, I 'd be 1035 + 80 (for them to install) + 40 for nitro, + 20 to reset sensor.

Thats about 1175 + tx.

Or, if I get the winter tire package from them, they told me they are Artic Claw wheels (16's, no idea what brand that is), black steel rims, valve stems, installation and reset and nitro and all that jazz for 995 + tx.

Am I better off going steel rims (since they are heavier) vs alloy or alum? I know it sounds silly, but the black rims are butt ugly, and the alloy or alum is only a $120 difference from the black steel on Tire Track. Not sure what it is from the dealer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I was just about to pull the trigger on Tire Rack and order them until I saw that the shipping charge was going to be 260 bucks. I live in Canada, so its no surprise, but that puts me over the cost that my dealer is quoting me..so really its a no brainer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sure thing. I certainly appreciate the interest. Sometimes we clearly have a better cost even after shipping to Canada but may not be so in every case. Thanks for the consideration!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Miles, I spoke to you on Friday and ordered a set of all-season Kumhos for my Titanium hatchback. You recommended them over the Generals. Thanks again for your help! The tires arrived at my shop today and are being installed as I type.

So now I have a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3s, with less than 600 miles on them, up on craigslist (DC and Baltimore both) for sale. Hoping to break even with the swap. If anyone here is interested please PM me.

And seriously, what gives with FoMoCo putting UHP summer tires on this car as OEM? If it were an SVT I guess I could see it. But having to replace brand new tires on a new car is a nuisance just because I live in a snow 'n' slush part of the country. Silliest of all, I might have to hold onto them until next springtime to get a decent price for them second-hand...

Love my new FoFo otherwise, and have been a big fan of Tire Rack for years. Keep it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I was just about to pull the trigger on Tire Rack and order them until I saw that the shipping charge was going to be 260 bucks. I live in Canada, so its no surprise, but that puts me over the cost that my dealer is quoting me..so really its a no brainer.
Hi Tumdace
After going through the same process of identifying the best winter tire set for my 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch (with a lot of help from our fellow FoFo bloggers) I got the following:
For the tires: 215/55/16 Michelin Alpin PA3 with $70 Cdn mail-in rebate at Active+Green Ross
For the wheels: Ford Taurus used Alloys with bolt pattern 5x108. I saw the set in Kijiji and got them for $Cdn200. There is a posted ad from the same seller at http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...al-5x108mm-2012-FORD-FOCUS-W0QQAdIdZ313361715
For the TPMS: Got them at the East-Court FORD dealer in Scarborough for $cdn42 each
Total cost: $Cdn 1,100 after tax
Hope this helps

·
Registered
190 Posts
Miles, I spoke to you on Friday and ordered a set of all-season Kumhos for my Titanium hatchback. You recommended them over the Generals. Thanks again for your help! The tires arrived at my shop today and are being installed as I type.

So now I have a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3s, with less than 600 miles on them, up on craigslist (DC and Baltimore both) for sale. Hoping to break even with the swap. If anyone here is interested please PM me.

And seriously, what gives with FoMoCo putting UHP summer tires on this car as OEM? If it were an SVT I guess I could see it. But having to replace brand new tires on a new car is a nuisance just because I live in a snow 'n' slush part of the country. Silliest of all, I might have to hold onto them until next springtime to get a decent price for them second-hand...

Love my new FoFo otherwise, and have been a big fan of Tire Rack for years. Keep it up.
Thanks Creamsicle. Pleasure working with ya!

·
Registered
772 Posts

And seriously, what gives with FoMoCo putting UHP summer tires on this car as OEM? ......
Because your car has the Titanium Handling package on it. Personally, I am impressed Ford went with such a high end tire, and at the price of the handling package, it's a great value.

I went with a seperate wheel/tire package from TireRack for the winter with Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires.

Thanks [email protected] for your knowledge and impressive service--and having the tires ready so fast for pickup!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I went with a seperate wheel/tire package from TireRack for the winter with Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires.

Thanks [email protected] for your knowledge and impressive service--and having the tires ready so fast for pickup!
You guys are great to work with [race] Thanks again csvt2060!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quick follow-up: The Kumhos are doing absolutely great, I love 'em. For my driving, any drop-off in performance from the PS3s is very minor indeed. Now I won't have to buy a second set of rims and swap 2x year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts