Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy Sticker Shock!

$27,200 for a loaded Focus Platinum at the local Ford Dealer!

Wow!

Nice car, but $27,200?

I paid $4500 for my 03 ZTW with 56K last year. A new Focus is not worth 6 times what I paid for my wagon.

Lets see how it depreciates.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Holy Sticker Shock!

Wow!

Nice car, but $27,200?

I paid $4500 for my 03 ZTW with 56K last year. A new Focus is not worth 6 times what I paid for my wagon.

To a lot of people it is.... otherwise they wouldn't be selling them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i love my focus, but if i had $27,200 i would not buy a focus, i would take $10,000 of my $27,200 and drop the 5.0L in my focus and save $17,200, and have one bad ass focus

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
Holy Sticker Shock!

Wow!

Nice car, but $27,200?

and this is why Im out of the focus. I paid the same for a loaded fusion sport. more room, much more comfy, great handling, and something my butt will thank me for after one of my 5000 mile road trips. trust me, i was actually gonna buy a focus at first, but no discounts, waiting on an order, and the far fetched price trashed that idea quick.

·
King of all blacks!!
2,676 Posts
Wow. For that much you can get into either a Fusion or a V6 Mustang!!

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile Wow, deja vu here...how many threads have we had discussing this?

And its titanium...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought a fully loaded Titanium for $25,000 (A-plan) and have would do it again. Compared to competitors in its class, the 2012 Focus it is second to none. Feature rich, beautiful design, outstanding build quality, is just a start. In my opinion, it is comparable to the GTI that I test drove, which was $27,000 with my supplier discount. Yeah, it is 2 seconds less 0-60, but I'm not turbo boy racer. I prefer practicality over racing to the speed limit.

Sure, I could have gotten a Fusion, or even a Mustang for that matter. But I would lose the 8" display, in-dash navigation, the amazing gas mileage, and countless other amenities that can be had at value. Plus, a hatchback is a huge bonus.

Last thing to note. I drove 3 other adults to dinner the other night and not one complaint of space or room. It was a sea of compliments [thumb].

In summary: Prospective 2012 Focus buyers, don't be turned off by the price until you test drive the exact trim.

/end rant

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
Personally I don't see how a GTI is a boy racer. It doesn't have an obnoxious hood scoop or ridiculous wing, and it offers a ton of cargo space in the rear (beats the hatchback Focus by 1.2 cubic feet). It's probably about as fast, toned-down, refined, and practical as you're going to get in the hatchback segment. The Focus is all that except that key "fast" part.

That's the problem for me. The GTI is more justifiable because it comes with a 2.0 L turbocharged engine, while the base Golf has a 2.5L NA engine. The Focus comes with the same exact engine throughout its entire lineup. The S model is going to be just as fast as the Titanium. And as for the ST... well that's going to be priced well above the GTI range.

Before people cry fanboy I'm NOT saying the Focus is bad. It's obvious the Focus isn't marketed towards people who just want a fast car (that's what the ST is for). If having lots of gadgets and convenience features is important to you, then yeah you'll see what the big deal is and you'll be glad to pay for it all. Personally I'd want a little more power if I'm going to pay for a top trim model, but that's just me! I will also say that the Focus SE is definitely a much better deal than a base Golf.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
Sure, I could have gotten a Fusion, or even a Mustang for that matter. But I would lose the 8" display, in-dash navigation, the amazing gas mileage, and countless other amenities that can be had at value. Plus, a hatchback is a huge bonus.
you wouldn't lose any of that in another ford. mytouch is pretty much the same in all models and even v6 stangs get 31+, 4cyl fusion is 33+(the 4cyl fusion I drove over 400 miles to pick up my sport was actually getting just shy of 36mpg, and the 2.5 was no slouch in that car)

·
Registered
75 Posts
if hyundai builds the elentra coupe with the 2.0 turbo and keeps it under 30k... im getting it...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
There was a Titanium Hatch at the local dealer here that had 28,800 on the sticker.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Holy Sticker Shock!

Wow!

Nice car, but $27,200?

The average price for a new car these days is 24 to 28 thousand. A Focus Titanium has far more features and options than your 03 ZTW does. Dual climate control, touch screen, self parking, heated side mirrors, leather seats, ten speaker stereo. There wasn't an 03 Focus made that even came close to the feature content of the 2012 Titanium. You're making a comparison between two cars that aren't even remotely in the same class from a features and options context. Personally I think Ford should probably have brought the 2012 and later models out under an entirely different name because I knew this comparison thing would happen. Ford has moved the Focus up market. The 2011 and earlier models would be more aptly compared to the new Fiesta. Even then, the Fiesta has features and options that an 03 ZTW never would.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If VW offered the 5-door Golf with a manual we may have considered it, but you can only shift your own gears in a 3-door... unless you move up to the GTI. If you price a GTI with leather and sunroof it's over $30k... a long way off from my SE with leather and sunroof.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
This is my biggest gripe with the new focus.

Im sorry, but their marketing has made a glaring flaw.

Branding means more than the average joe thinks. Every company tries to tie keywords to a brand. Many companies focus on things like "trust" and "reliability". The focus brand was tied to "cheap, economical, fun, reliable"

The simple fact is, as of so far, the new focus meets none of the above criteria.

Its not cheap, a base model focus costs nearly as much as a fully equiped SVT cost just a few years ago.

Its not economical, there are major complaints about the focus mileage ratings. Some people are having a hard time holding over 22mpg.

Fun is speculative, but from my experience driving a titanium, it felt heavy, underpowered, and numb. Honestly, the Honda accord felt sportier.

Its not very reliable. True this is a newer model, and there are bound to be problems, but so far, there have been alot of issues with the new focus. My neighbor has had his in the shop 4 times in the 3 weeks he has had his, and hes not alone.

Where as the new focus is tied with words like: "electronics, comfort, luxury"

And thats the problem. Once a company tries to change a brand, it fails. Take a look at the mustang for example. Remember the mustang 2? suddenly their hot muscle car gets a 4 banger and luxury. It fell on its face.

The new focus is undoubtedly a decent car, i wouldnt have one myself, but its definately no Yugo. Just to me, its not a focus, because it shares no common traits with what the focus badge stands for.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
ViperThreat, the Fiesta now takes the place of the original Focus. It's priced low, shares nearly the same dimensions, has great fuel economy, and is pretty fun to toss around on the road. Ford sort of shuffled the names around and made the new Focus catch up to its European equivalent by making it this larger/upscale global car. So the first gen Focus we've all grown to love is now the Fiesta (for us Americans).

These reliability issues are nothing new in Ford's history. The original 2000 Focus had around 17 recalls when it first came out. If you're recommending anyone to buy a first gen Focus, you'll most likely tell them to get either a 2002 or 2003 model year version for a very good reason. This is the same exact situation for the Fiesta and Focus. The first version of any new model year car will almost always understandibly have some troubles.

However I do agree on some of your other points. I'd love to give Ford another chance when the time comes to buy a new car. But I want to see them iron out some of these issues first (especially with PowerShift). For now I'll just stand back and see where they're going with this. I'm hoping that in that time they'll bring the 3-door hatchback Fiesta into the picture as well.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Since when did this become a '12 Focus bashing forum? I joined this forum to share news, insights and experiences with my Focus. If you want to bash my car, go to the Honda, Volkswagen forums if you love them so much.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
Since when did this become a '12 Focus bashing forum? I joined this forum to share news, insights and experiences with my Focus. If you want to bash my car, go to the Honda, Volkswagen forums if you love them so much.
Who is bashing your car? It's not like the thread title leaves much to the imagination. You're more than welcome not to read or respond to any threads that might not appeal to (offend?) you. That's the beauty of the magical internets.

[facepalm]

·
Banned
571 Posts
Sure, let me just cover my eyes and ears with my hands and chant to myself to pretend no one is dissing the Focus[:)~] . My issue is these comments are not helpful and they're coming from non-2012 owners.

"I paid $4500 for my 03 ZTW with 56K last year. A new Focus is not worth 6 times what I paid for my wagon." Yeah, the OP has a nine year old car he compares to a new vehicle that he doesn't own. Where's the sense in that?

"i love my focus, but if i had $27,200 i would not buy a focus" Huh?

"if hyundai builds the elentra coupe with the 2.0 turbo and keeps it under 30k... im getting it" Why is this poster in this forum?

"Its not economical, there are major complaints about the focus mileage ratings. Some people are having a hard time holding over 22mpg." The worst mileage I ever got was 26mpg. Fuelly reports show an average of of 33. So, who are all these people getting 22mpg?

"but from my experience driving a titanium, it felt heavy, underpowered, and numb. Honestly, the Honda accord felt sportier" We own two Mercedes, have owned a 328i and a Subaru. The 2012 Focus handles better than any of these cars.

"Its not very reliable" Says who? Compared to what?

Guess I get tired of people stating second and third hand experiences as facts. And I really don't get the trolling.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Keep in mind that the vast majority of the people on here (including me) were at the very least former Focus owners. We're very critical about changes because we're still passionate about the brand. You can't just make the assumption that you're dealing with random trolls. I know it sounds like mindless bashing, but believe me if most of us actually outright hated the car we wouldn't be wasting our time on here.

I still personally like the Ford brand. I've taken the time to check out both the Fiesta and Focus in person when they first came out (as well as in auto shows). At the same time owning a different brand has given me new insights (some good and some bad) on what the company now has to offer. I think it's interesting to hear similar personal experiences from other people with different backgrounds too. Switching it up a bit with different brands makes you really appreciate some of the attention to detail different companies put on different things.

And to be honest I think a forum would be really boring if everyone's post would have a "YAY!! I love my Focus sooo much!!" tone to it. I don't think there's really much to be learned in that situation either. :)

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.